Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well if u are saying this site just keeps on giving your are right. In my 23rd year hunting this battle site and still giving me some first's after all these years. In May up to today the 30th found my first Spanish to real coin, 1762, first King George copper with smoothes down to make a design in the center and no doubt a "sweetheart" coin and probably the best British officer gold guinea coin. Kinda hard to beat that one but am just happy finding history of this unknown battle/ siege.
This is a huge site of hundreds of acres and all wooded and with downed trees, tree stumps, steep slopes ,in some areas, and the dreaded tree branches and thorny bushes abound and is indeed challenging . In the words of a famous quote to be successful here one "Has to go where no man(or women)has gone before." If I am still hunting it after 23 years u now it will never be hunted out.
Anyway I decided today to re visit a Brit artillery site about 500 yards from their fort . It took a pounding from Lt Col Revere's artillery in much of the siege of 3 weeks as many mortor frags, grapeshot and solid shot cannon balls have been found their over the years. It is also a duel site when the Brits came back in 1814 and used then by both the Royal Artillery and American 1st Light Artillery. Both periods of buttons have been found there. In fact on Monday dug a 1st Light Artillery coat button. In 2002 my wife and I sifted there and found to date the best condition high lead 74th REgt of Foot vest button. A pic posted here of that button.
So earlier today I decide to hunt it probably for the 9th time in those previous 22 years. Working under a bush I get a good reading and up comes a coat size brass buton. But wait there is more . Always wanted to write that. LOL. I start scratching the front and see silver under the , for a better word, crap on it . Shank is gone but has a little brass where the shank was once sweated on. This indeed now I know is an officer's button but not from either the 74th or 82 Regt of Foot that fought there. It measures measures 25mm and slightly bigger than my 74th officer example of which only 3 known. What we have here folks is an officer's example of a Brit Royal Artillery button found on a known site they placed artillery on. The American's never occupied this site. If you don't know the Brit artillery wore plain brass buttons of which the officer's would be plain as well but silver plated as this one is. Don TRoiani's does not even have an example of either enlisted or officer in his button book. It is not a pretty button but pretty rare as i know no others to date that have been ided to any site but here. . Sorry about the pics as the silver does not do well on a flash. Shines like a new penny in about 75 percent of the face. That one not on my "Bucket List" either. Hope u all enjoy this button. Being in Field Artillery myself makes it even more special for me. Enjoy.Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3597.JPG
    DSCN3597.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN3601.JPG
    DSCN3601.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
  • DSCN3604.JPG
    DSCN3604.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Upvote 17
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding, congrats! Thank you for sharing the story. :occasion14:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoying the story as much as the pics! Congrats and thank you for posting them.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be a silly question - but were the 74th Reg't of Foot in kilts? So would they have a vest with a number of buttons and their kilt? Have you studied the clothing? I wouldn't have a clue if i found a fastener to a kilt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the back-mark say? Can you do a picture of the reverse please?

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Brit Odficer Royal Artillery button

Whats the back-mark say? Can you do a picture of the reverse please?
Hey Crusader
Sure sending one up now. BTW there were very few backmarks of British Revolutionary WAr buttons. SF- Samual Firmin's for some REgt of Foot officers and "BOND" on some Royal Navy buttons. This one has no backmark as is true about 99.9 percent of all Brit buttons of the period. and the brass still remains where the shank now gone was brazed on. An early feature . Backmarks started appearing on Brit buttons just prior to WAr of 1812. Was this a test? Of note : Indeed look like a blah button being plain but is extremely rare if not rarer than any British officer regimental button commanding a 4 figure number if asked that question .. Remember they choose to have plain buttons and this is indeed maybe the only example extant found on a documented site . Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3603.jpg
    DSCN3603.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kilt pin

Megalodon
Yes the 74th Argyle Highlanders were indeed a kilted regiment as were I think all of the Scottish regiments that fought here. Here is a fastener for a kilt found in an 84th Regt of Foot (Royal Highland Imigrants ) in one of their encampments in Canada. Measures about 3 inches of brass and missing the iron pins. Also i 1996 Castine had it's 200 th anniversary with members of the 74th and 84th REgt of Foot regiments doing a in camp re enactment of camp life. Here u go. Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3617.JPG
    DSCN3617.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN3618.JPG
    DSCN3618.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN3622.JPG
    DSCN3622.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN3620.JPG
    DSCN3620.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Crusader
Sure sending one up now. BTW there were very few backmarks of British Revolutionary WAr buttons. SF- Samual Firmin's for some REgt of Foot officers and "BOND" on some Royal Navy buttons. This one has no backmark as is true about 99.9 percent of all Brit buttons of the period. and the brass still remains where the shank now gone was brazed on. An early feature . Backmarks started appearing on Brit buttons just prior to WAr of 1812. Was this a test? Of note : Indeed look like a blah button being plain but is extremely rare if not rarer than any British officer regimental button commanding a 4 figure number if asked that question .. Remember they choose to have plain buttons and this is indeed maybe the only example extant found on a documented site . Gary
You asked, if it were a 'test'. Nope just a 'check' because if it were a silver plated one with a back-mark it would most likely post date 1800.
Looking at the shank scar it's consistent with the method used to secure Dandy Buttons in the 1750-1780 period.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Art Button

You asked, if it were a 'test'. Nope just a 'check' because if it were a silver plated one with a back-mark it would most likely post date 1800.
Looking at the shank scar it's consistent with the method used to secure Dandy Buttons in the 1750-1780 period.

Crusader
U specifically asked "What's the backmark said" knowing few REv WAr buttons have them. As for Dandy buttons it may indeed be consistent with how Dandy buttons are made. However you are not saying it is one and I don't want those that read your post thinking it is . Most all Dandy Buttons I have seen on Ebay under "REvolutionary WAr are very large at sometimes 33 mm and engraved. May be why they call them "Dandy Buttons" Have not seen one silver plated yet but one in gilt. The button I found at the Rev WAr Art site is 26 mm and only 1 mm large than the 74th coat also found there and shown in the pic. Found at this British artillery site as mentioned. . Besides being a relic hunter for 25 plus years now also collect mainly British buttons found here from our American Revolution for the last 15. In many cases many listed as REv WAr r not having BMs on them. BTW long ago there was discussion here about what country made the buttons with a P/N backmark . Happy to report , unless already known, England. Here u go BTW the larger probably pre war Tudor rose has a "BOND" back mark and also rare "I" on one side of the boss and "B" on the other 1748-1767. This is how we learn and thanks for your questions and comments. . (: Gary

Attachments

• DSCN2295.JPG
    DSCN2295.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN2297.JPG
    DSCN2297.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN2298.JPG
    DSCN2298.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing site! As you continue to prove with all of your great finds...no place is ever truly hunted out!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score!! and great info guys was a pleasure to read!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader
U specifically asked "What's the backmark said" knowing few REv WAr buttons have them. As for Dandy buttons it may indeed be consistent with how Dandy buttons are made. However you are not saying it is one and I don't want those that read your post thinking it is . Most all Dandy Buttons I have seen on Ebay under "REvolutionary WAr are very large at sometimes 33 mm and engraved. May be why they call them "Dandy Buttons" Have not seen one silver plated yet but one in gilt. The button I found at the Rev WAr Art site is 26 mm and only 1 mm large than the 74th coat also found there and shown in the pic. Found at this British artillery site as mentioned. . Besides being a relic hunter for 25 plus years now also collect mainly British buttons found here from our American Revolution for the last 15. In many cases many listed as REv WAr r not having BMs on them. BTW long ago there was discussion here about what country made the buttons with a P/N backmark . Happy to report , unless already known, England. Here u go BTW the larger probably pre war Tudor rose has a "BOND" back mark and also rare "I" on one side of the boss and "B" on the other 1748-1767. This is how we learn and thanks for your questions and comments. . (: Gary
My 'whats the backmark say' was a quickly written question with no other intention other than finding out if it has one at all. Nothing to do with whether Rev War buttons had them. (which if you want to go there hasn't been proved beyond reasonable doubt yet).
My comment about its manufacturing being consistent with Dandy Buttons, actually strengthen your argument. Not stating it was one!
Dandy Buttons have massive variations in size & 26mm is not unusual for a small one & yes they do have plain silver plated ones & decorated silver plated versions. (But once again, not saying yours is, just sharing knowledge with you, as you do with me) :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crusade
Thanks for sharing and yes I did learn something new about Dandy buttons as I believe others have as well following this post. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread