smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys and gals! Little back story. These are a few items I've found detecting along my driveway in the last month. I'm near a major river here and I have some knowledge of the history around here. I'm about a mile away from an old hotel that operated late 1800s to early 1900s. The jist of it is the hotel offered hunting and fishing excursions to people traveling the paddle wheelers that traveled the river. They'd get off the boats and go by wagon to the hotel and from there they hunted and fished. I have been here for 28 years. I have never been able to prove it by any other means that there were dwellings here, although I have found a well, some indications of brick and way too many other indicators with the metal detectors. We don't have cellars here unless you want an indoor swimming pool. You have to look for foundation rocks, blocks or bricks from a chimney. My driveway turns out to be one of the major trails to one of the only roads around here at the time. These are just a few. I'll do more later. I'm pitifully behind on taking pix. I can vouch for the hunting in this area. I've got enough firearm related relics to open a hardware store.....remember when you could buy ammo there? Please enjoy! more later...

Attachments

• 102_0298.JPG
    102_0298.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 102_0301.JPG
    102_0301.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 105
  • 102_0302.JPG
    102_0302.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 20
OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more evidence of a building site: found around the area of the well. I used to have permission on the ground here but until I reach out to the new owners I'm out of this area. I can do the road. I'd like to dig the well.
Items I found around the well indicate a building site but lack of toys maybe means no home site. Don't know yet. Haven't even found a marble...

Attachments

• 102_0305.JPG
    102_0305.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 98
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool finds, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's hunt...same driveway...varied finds. The normal run of firearm related material. Did get 3 round balls(50cal+) shotshell headstamps, a 32 rimfire, in one of the last places I got good signals among trash and dug this out:

102_0309.JPG
102_0312.JPG

Turned up a pocket watch back, might have been gold plated, can see no marks. Could not locate any other pieces.
Then a foot away, another signal and got the suspender clip:
Then a foot away, got the 45-70 casing headstamp is WRA Co over 45-70
I eased on to the house, tired, carrying about 10 lbs of cast iron and trash in my bag tired but satisfied with my finds. By the way, on some research today I stumbled on a partial reason why my driveway may be holding some good finds. It appears that the old trail thru here was at one time called the Old Dragoon Sand Trail...
Group shot also holds some china shards, a small piece of NA pottery

102_0316.JPG
102_0313.JPG

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have hunted longer than 2 hours but my bag got really heavy...:laughing7: I believe the rain lately has improved signals. Pretty good hunt for relics. Picked up a nice ax and a hoe. Another pocket knife (3rd on the driveway). Another suspender clip. Also got a brass cover for something like a cigarette case...not sure on that but my guess. Picked up a couple of spoons too. Makes 3 of them on the driveway. Both of these exhibit some decoration and further cleaning will be done. Took a pic for some of the detail on one of those. As always got the required firearm related relics...bullets, shell casings, shotshell headstamps including one of the full length brass ones. Not sure of the stamp yet. Chunk of chain and a neat old iron ring. I'll go back for the 15 pounds of cast iron I picked up..sheesh! I think I could put together a pot bellied stove...

Attachments

• 102_0323.JPG
    102_0323.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 80
  • 102_0327.JPG
    102_0327.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 95

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some really cool relics! Maybe there is a coin around there somewhere.

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some really cool relics! Maybe there is a coin around there somewhere.

I keep hoping for something to pop up. I've picked up some recent coins along the way but nothing really old from here yet. The best 2 are wheaties. 1925 and 1954D. Something in the late 1800s forward would be period for this area for the most part. But you can always dream about the lost spaniard losing his lunch money...

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a Super Sniper in today! I've been back and forth across a couple of areas that are laden with iron targets but have good targets too. The Double D coil is pulling target signals out of the iron but I've heard these are better. I'll review it when I hunt it a few times.

Attachments

• 102_0328.JPG
    102_0328.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned up the 3 spoons I've found. All 3 were plated but pretty fancy to me. Only 1 had anything I could read...Sheffield Plate Co.
I only got about an hour in today until the rains set in. Still playing with the Super Sniper.
Here are the after pix from electrolysis.

102_0331.JPG 102_0333.JPG 102_0334.JPG

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool finds! I like the padlock and the spoons! I am sure more cool relics will turn up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread