Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: I found a reral nicen copper today ...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    3827 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Kantuck, I related the incident to my chief at our last fire drill and he said that its reason for not striking might be that it's been so hot here lately, around 100 daily, and that it would be more difficult to differentiate between me and the ambient air temperature. Anything to that, in your opinion? My thoughts to the contrary were that it was morning with the temperature at that time probably mid 80s coupled with being in the slightly cooler shade of the woods.

As far as their strength goes, I've heard that their strike is like being hit in the ankle with a brick. I agree with you, that's strong.

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    2684 times
    Greetings all, Cudamark you don't have to smell their breath to smell the cucumbers. Be particularly aware around rock piles and stone walls or in river or creek bottoms. I have heard of people being bitten in areas where I sometimes frequent while fishing. I think "There but by the grace of God go I!". The climate is warming whether by man or otherwise. The wooded parts of the Shenandoah Valley are more like rainforest. They've found alligators in the Richmond area and just the other day I read where they found one in the suburbs of Washington DC.

Nice post Kantuck but I don't handle snakes as a rule. I worked in a mountainous region for a while where they grew really large. They occasionally rolled up on the deck of a lawn tractor and made the operators jump off. The place operated 24-7 and you didn't dare walk across the parking lot at night without a flashlight.
    I met a man who had picked one up out of the road, dead, just outside the place and while handling it one of the fangs made the slightest scratch on the index finger of his left hand. He was drunk and disregarded the hot tingling feeling in the finger. His girl friend took him to the hospital when his heart started to palpitate. They put him into a coma and waited for the effects to start wearing off. His finger burst open like a hotdog and the joint fused in it. He was lucky to have survived!

Be careful all!
    Phil

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    3827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Reanm8er View Post
    .."There but by the grace of God go I!"...
    That works for me, and reflects my feelings that day perfectly...and most every day as far as I'm concerned.

us
    Randy

Aug 2017
    SW Missouri
    Minelab CTX 3030 ; GTA 1000
    6902 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I can’t like this one!!! I highly Dislike Copper heads!!!! They’ve scared the crap out of Me a few times too!!!
    creskol likes this.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cornfield, IN
    F-22, cheapo pinpointer
    653 times
    Sandchip,

I can’t say whether the temperature had anything to do with it or not. I’d say probably not. The snake probably just didn’t see you as a threat and too large to wolf down in a single gulp.

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck

Reanm8er,

I’ve handled snakes ever since I was a little boy and I wanted to be a herpetologist or wildlife biologist my whole life. In college though, I realized that I could increase many animal populations by working in restoration ecology, so now I help reforest areas for air and water quality, improved wildlife habitat, carbon sequestration, etc. I wouldn’t recommend handling venomous creatures unless you really know what you’re doing and definitely not while under the influence. I’m not even sure if I’d handle one anymore, unless I had to...

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck
    sandchip and Reanm8er like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    4538 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Glad to hear you both reached an mutual non-aggression accord! I have been working on moving my woodpile into a shed and I am just waiting to stumble across one as I have seen one in there before, hopefully we can reach the same accord as you and your friend!

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2019
    Camden SC
    Minelab Equinox 800 11" & 6" Coil, XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, Minelab Pro-Find 35.
    1184 times
    Relic Hunting
    YIKES!

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    2684 times
    Dear BLK HOLE,

The threat in our area these days is not so much snakes as spiders! I live about 60 miles from "Mordor" and have enough spider varieties to make a field guide! Black widows out the wazoo! When you transfer your wood into the shed rake it out onto the ground first and tumble it over. That gives the spiders and snakes a chance to run off. I hope you're not in great falls, you might see anything!

Best wishes!
    Phil

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    4538 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Dear BLK HOLE,

The threat in our area these days is not so much snakes as spiders! I live about 60 miles from "Mordor" and have enough spider varieties to make a field guide! Black widows out the wazoo! When you transfer your wood into the shed rake it out onto the ground first and tumble it over. That gives the spiders and snakes a chance to run off. I hope you're not in great falls, you might see anything!

Best wishes!
    Roger all! There are all sorts of spiders and such in there so I will definitely heed your advice about using a rake. I am about 15 miles from Great Falls and Mordor so I will keep my eyes peeled for Black Widows and Orcs

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    2684 times
    Sometimes it's hard to recognize an Orc in a three piece suit with a flag pin, LOL!
    Phil

us
    Kim

Jul 2017
    RI
    White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II with Bigfoot, Equinox 600
    1784 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I am glad I don’t see these in New England. Glad you are both OK. Happy hunting creskol!
    creskol likes this.
    The detector is my stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past, to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future.....

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6455 times
    Copperheads often aspirate the smell of cucumbers.
    That and the smell that Copper pennies give off when rubbed between your' hands. I think it is one smell for females and the other for males.
    Kantuckkeean and Reanm8er like this.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6455 times
    Sometimes it's hard to recognize an Orc in a three piece suit with a flag pin, LOL!
    Yep and you never know when you are going to come across a Troll or any of the Uruk-hai, Olog-hai and Nazgűl.
    Kantuckkeean and Reanm8er like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    24330 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Did it ring up like a copper penny lol
    Reanm8er likes this.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    3827 times
    A few times in getting the land ready for my daughter, I'd be out there past dark working down in the woods with headlamp. Started noticing hundreds of what looked like tiny jewels everywhere my light shone. I'm thinking that there's no way the dew had fallen that early, so I walked toward one until I could see it up close. Spider eyes. Little jokers were everywhere in the leaves. Now I know.
    Reanm8er and A2coins like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links