Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Found a bucket lister and lost my oldest barber in same day!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Metal Detecting & Hotwheels Collecting

Sep 2014
    Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
    Nox 600, Tesoro, Bounty Hunter, Deteknix
    3856 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Sorry for your loss, I tell the homeowner that if I find something related to their property they will get it, otherwise its mine, no problems. Congrats on your silvers for the day.
    Any day of hunting, whether good or bad is better than not hunting at all

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    8871 times
    Nice bunch of saves. Congrats on the other silver.

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    2684 times
    There's another way to look at this, if it's a guy that says "I don't think you'll find anything anyway"! I'm quite content to let him think he was absolutely right. Reach into the hole pick up a pinch of dirt with one hand and the find in the other. Shake your head in disgust and throw the pinch of dirt back in the hole. When you stand up shake your head again and stamp the dirt back in the hole, while tucking your find in the unseen pocket. We're Pirates right that's how we roll. I relate these folks to change up con artists that would let a classic car rot down in their woods before selling it to someone that would save it.

On the flip side. If it's a lady that doesn't have a clue I'd show her and tell her everything I know about the find and or write it down for her, then let her choose whether or not she'd like to have it.

For this guy to have pulled a trick like this on behalf of his donkeybound grandson just ain't right!

That's my story and I'm stikin to it!

Chivalry is one thing but self victimization is something else!
    Inspector, Hawks88, ROIGuy and 1 others like this.
    Phil

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    2684 times
    As much can-slaw as we find hand em a dose of that!
    Inspector and Hawks88 like this.
    Phil

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    24251 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Sorry to hear about the Barber!

ca
    Sep 2016
    GTA East, Ontario
    AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
    988 times
    Metal Detecting
    Sigh. Not cool.

I’d say buy a similar coin from a different seller. No reason to give them any more of your blood, sweat and tears. Frankly doing that can even be great part of the story.

us
    Feb 2013
    9099 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I lost the only SLQ I ever found and even made the long trek back to the last place I knew it was in my possession to see if I might look for it in the lady's yard. She allowed me, but it was never found. I do have my one and only Barber quarter though, so I guess my luck is better than yours was! Good luck getting your next one!
    If there is no truth in your words, you may as well be mute.

us
    Jun 2019
    Palos Park, IL
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DigToChina View Post
    Sigh. Not cool.

I’d say buy a similar coin from a different seller. No reason to give them any more of your blood, sweat and tears. Frankly doing that can even be great part of the story.
    I agree but does anyone know the actual legality of telling someone to go jump in a lake after having dug up something on their land? Usually, I'd like to think that if someone gave me permission to detect on their property, I'd naturally think I get to keep the finds, unless they said anything to the contrary PRIOR to detecting and digging. Any former LEOs or attorneys here who might have a better idea?

PS---thanks to the OP for sharing his sad experience with us... I have only JUST PURCHASED my first detector and am anxiously awaiting its arrival so I can join you guys in the adventure.

us
    Mar 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
    723 times
    That's why when I find anything exciting I immediately go put it in my truck. If the landowner or anyone else (kids!) are following me around or watching me closely I just don't dig a signal. They usually get bored soon and walk away. If they come up to me later and ask what I found I show them a pouch full of trash, and examine and explain about it each piece at a time with great interest and excitement.
    Hawks88, Reanm8er and ROIGuy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Bob

Jan 2018
    Central Massachusetts
    Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT Max, Garrett carrot, Detech 15x12, 4.5” SS and a couple of shovels
    2394 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    2 choices here; send him a large bill for cleaning up his property OR bribe the local hooligans to turn his house into a toilet paper omelet on Halloween

Reanm8er, Hawks88 and ROIGuy like this.
    “I was a kid once, but I wasn’t very good at it”

Nice job on the SLQ, and to bad about your other situation. I think a lot of us may have had that situation. About 25 years ago, I was detecting a yard and found a very nice old metallic toy in the shape of a cow. It was about 4 inches long. The homeowners Nephew came out and asked me what I had found. I pulled the toy out of my pouch, handed it to him so he could look at it, and he ran in the house with it, never for me to see again ! Lessen learned. If I show someone who is younger one of my finds now, it stays in my hands ! You will find enough in your lifetime to overlook your bad situation, although you may never forget it. I know I didn't.
    Reanm8er and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Ben

Feb 2017
    Nebraska
    Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Equinox 800 Whites Coinmaster AT Pro pointer
    621 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by niffler View Post
    That's why when I find anything exciting I immediately go put it in my truck. If the landowner or anyone else (kids!) are following me around or watching me closely I just don't dig a signal. They usually get bored soon and walk away. If they come up to me later and ask what I found I show them a pouch full of trash, and examine and explain about it each piece at a time with great interest and excitement.
    Not a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe-Dirt View Post
    2 choices here; send him a large bill for cleaning up his property OR bribe the local hooligans to turn his house into a toilet paper omelet on Halloween

Lol I like both options!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trezurehunter View Post
    Nice job on the SLQ, and to bad about your other situation. I think a lot of us may have had that situation. About 25 years ago, I was detecting a yard and found a very nice old metallic toy in the shape of a cow. It was about 4 inches long. The homeowners Nephew came out and asked me what I had found. I pulled the toy out of my pouch, handed it to him so he could look at it, and he ran in the house with it, never for me to see again ! Lessen learned. If I show someone who is younger one of my finds now, it stays in my hands ! You will find enough in your lifetime to overlook your bad situation, although you may never forget it. I know I didn't.
    Thanks! Luckily I have not ran into that situation yet but I am sure it will happen.

us
    Dec 2018
    Tennessee
    Etrac & NOX 600
    462 times
    Metal Detecting
    Man I feel your pain!

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    1589 times
    Metal Detecting
    The only SLQ I ever found was on a permission hunt at an old house. Agreement was made beforehand that anything I found was mine to keep. It was the only good find that day so it would have been a bummer if I would have had to give it to the homeowner.

us
    Kim

Jul 2017
    RI
    White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II with Bigfoot, Equinox 600
    1784 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Found a bucket lister and lost my oldest barber in same day!

Sorry for the loss of your Barber quarter. That standing liberty is rather sweet, though, and I have yet to find one! I think good karma will follow you and your next Barber quarter will be sweet! Best of luck.
    The detector is my stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past, to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links