Found a bucket lister and lost my oldest barber in same day!

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So pastor Bob and I set out on another door knocking adventure. We found some great stuff and I finally found an SLQ!! Before the SLQ find I was feeling very defeated. I started off the day finding my oldest Barber coin a very worn 1893 quarter. Not even 2 minutes after I found it the home owner approached me and said he would like to have the coin. I attempted to pay him for it but he declined. I was devastated. That was the only silver coin we found in his yard. I was so caught off guard as that has never happened to me before I did not know how to react. If ths home owner would have told us he wanted to keep the coins we found we would have just thanked him for his time and moved on to the next yard. What made things even worse was when he went on to say his teenage grandson buys and sells coins on Ebay and would likely sell this coin. It is probably a $5 coin but I keep all of my finds and it is worth much more to me. Oh well I chalked it up to a lesson learned. I will definitely handle that situation differently next time. I was so surprised and it happened so fast I didn't even ask to get a picture of barber quarter before I handed it over. At least I salvaged the day by checking off one of my top bucket listers later that day. I have been trying to find an SLQ for years. Her are some pics of the finds and the video with live digs and the exchange with the home owner. Thanks for looking!

20190607_144323.jpg 20190607_173230.jpg 20190607_173216.jpg 20190607_173203.jpg 20190607_173158.jpg 20190607_173152.jpg 20190607_174029.jpg

Upvote 32

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lost the only SLQ I ever found and even made the long trek back to the last place I knew it was in my possession to see if I might look for it in the lady's yard. She allowed me, but it was never found. I do have my one and only Barber quarter though, so I guess my luck is better than yours was! Good luck getting your next one!

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sigh. Not cool.

I’d say buy a similar coin from a different seller. No reason to give them any more of your blood, sweat and tears. Frankly doing that can even be great part of the story.

I agree but does anyone know the actual legality of telling someone to go jump in a lake after having dug up something on their land? Usually, I'd like to think that if someone gave me permission to detect on their property, I'd naturally think I get to keep the finds, unless they said anything to the contrary PRIOR to detecting and digging. Any former LEOs or attorneys here who might have a better idea?

PS---thanks to the OP for sharing his sad experience with us... I have only JUST PURCHASED my first detector and am anxiously awaiting its arrival so I can join you guys in the adventure.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why when I find anything exciting I immediately go put it in my truck. If the landowner or anyone else (kids!) are following me around or watching me closely I just don't dig a signal. They usually get bored soon and walk away. If they come up to me later and ask what I found I show them a pouch full of trash, and examine and explain about it each piece at a time with great interest and excitement.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
2 choices here; send him a large bill for cleaning up his property OR bribe the local hooligans to turn his house into a toilet paper omelet on Halloween

:icon_thumleft:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the SLQ, and to bad about your other situation. I think a lot of us may have had that situation. About 25 years ago, I was detecting a yard and found a very nice old metallic toy in the shape of a cow. It was about 4 inches long. The homeowners Nephew came out and asked me what I had found. I pulled the toy out of my pouch, handed it to him so he could look at it, and he ran in the house with it, never for me to see again ! Lessen learned. If I show someone who is younger one of my finds now, it stays in my hands ! You will find enough in your lifetime to overlook your bad situation, although you may never forget it. I know I didn't.

OP
OP
detectorben

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why when I find anything exciting I immediately go put it in my truck. If the landowner or anyone else (kids!) are following me around or watching me closely I just don't dig a signal. They usually get bored soon and walk away. If they come up to me later and ask what I found I show them a pouch full of trash, and examine and explain about it each piece at a time with great interest and excitement.
Not a bad idea.
2 choices here; send him a large bill for cleaning up his property OR bribe the local hooligans to turn his house into a toilet paper omelet on Halloween

:icon_thumleft:
Lol I like both options!
Nice job on the SLQ, and to bad about your other situation. I think a lot of us may have had that situation. About 25 years ago, I was detecting a yard and found a very nice old metallic toy in the shape of a cow. It was about 4 inches long. The homeowners Nephew came out and asked me what I had found. I pulled the toy out of my pouch, handed it to him so he could look at it, and he ran in the house with it, never for me to see again ! Lessen learned. If I show someone who is younger one of my finds now, it stays in my hands ! You will find enough in your lifetime to overlook your bad situation, although you may never forget it. I know I didn't.
Thanks! Luckily I have not ran into that situation yet but I am sure it will happen.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only SLQ I ever found was on a permission hunt at an old house. Agreement was made beforehand that anything I found was mine to keep. It was the only good find that day so it would have been a bummer if I would have had to give it to the homeowner.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry for the loss of your Barber quarter. That standing liberty is rather sweet, though, and I have yet to find one! I think good karma will follow you and your next Barber quarter will be sweet! Best of luck.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on finding the Barber. Sorry it turned out the way it did. I hope the kid doesn't sell it but what can you do. Alot of the things we find aren't worth alot of money but they are museum worthy for sure and mean alot to us. The cool factor is worth way more than a few bucks in the pocket.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if his son sells it to you sorry to hear that your owed one now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread