Found a bucket lister and lost my oldest barber in same day!

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So pastor Bob and I set out on another door knocking adventure. We found some great stuff and I finally found an SLQ!! Before the SLQ find I was feeling very defeated. I started off the day finding my oldest Barber coin a very worn 1893 quarter. Not even 2 minutes after I found it the home owner approached me and said he would like to have the coin. I attempted to pay him for it but he declined. I was devastated. That was the only silver coin we found in his yard. I was so caught off guard as that has never happened to me before I did not know how to react. If ths home owner would have told us he wanted to keep the coins we found we would have just thanked him for his time and moved on to the next yard. What made things even worse was when he went on to say his teenage grandson buys and sells coins on Ebay and would likely sell this coin. It is probably a $5 coin but I keep all of my finds and it is worth much more to me. Oh well I chalked it up to a lesson learned. I will definitely handle that situation differently next time. I was so surprised and it happened so fast I didn't even ask to get a picture of barber quarter before I handed it over. At least I salvaged the day by checking off one of my top bucket listers later that day. I have been trying to find an SLQ for years. Her are some pics of the finds and the video with live digs and the exchange with the home owner. Thanks for looking!

20190607_144323.jpg 20190607_173230.jpg 20190607_173216.jpg 20190607_173203.jpg 20190607_173158.jpg 20190607_173152.jpg 20190607_174029.jpg

Upvote 32

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Dang, that stinks to not even get a photo. Here’s to another in your near future to make up for it!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on that SLQ I have found 2 in my 3 years of detecting, but I must admit that Barber Quarter is my white whale, got the dime even have the half BUT I CANT FIND THAT QUARTER!!!! Lol I would’ve die. That story just got me ill I have no idea what I would have done, probably the same thing, but my plugs wouldn’t of been so nice after.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's too bad about your barber quarter. Those are other silvers are really nice though, and congrats on your first Standing Liberty Quarter.

I had a very similar experience when I found my first SLQ. It was a really nice 1923, barely worn. At the end of the day the homeowner wanted to keep EVERYTHING I found including the SLQ. I had the same reaction you did and ended up just handing it over to the homeowner.

If I was you, I would be looking on eBay for that quarter. It would be the best feeling in the world to outsmart that guy and end up having your quarter back again!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer about the Barber :BangHead: On the bright side you found a White Whale!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My deepest sympathies dectorben!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stinks.

Always good to pre-arrange an agreement on what you're going to do with your finds before you even start hunting.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually if I know that up front, I thank them for their time and move on. Your other finds are nice though.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first barber dime ended up the same way.
Owner gave me permission to hunt, I found the dime, got the rush at finding my oldest silver coin.
Then the owner asked to look at it, and then promptly placed in his pocket.
Same as you, got completely thrown off guard.
When I started to leave, he asked me why wasn't I going to keep hunting.
I didn't even have time to see what the date was.
Good learning experience, I won't even detect if the owner who gives me permission is following me around.
But you dug a sweet SLQ, that makes up for a lot of the anguish!
Carl

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple solution - Very earnestly and politely ask for the eBay listing URL, and win the auction.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that happens to a lot of us.I have had homes I HUNTED WHEREi told them I

OP
OP
detectorben

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, that stinks to not even get a photo. Here’s to another in your near future to make up for it!

Thanks!

Congratulations on that SLQ I have found 2 in my 3 years of detecting, but I must admit that Barber Quarter is my white whale, got the dime even have the half BUT I CANT FIND THAT QUARTER!!!! Lol I would’ve die. That story just got me ill I have no idea what I would have done, probably the same thing, but my plugs wouldn’t of been so nice after.

Thanks!! This was only my 2nd barber quarter ever so they definitely dont come easy! Good luck on your quest for one. I hope you find it soon!!

That's too bad about your barber quarter. Those are other silvers are really nice though, and congrats on your first Standing Liberty Quarter.

I had a very similar experience when I found my first SLQ. It was a really nice 1923, barely worn. At the end of the day the homeowner wanted to keep EVERYTHING I found including the SLQ. I had the same reaction you did and ended up just handing it over to the homeowner.

If I was you, I would be looking on eBay for that quarter. It would be the best feeling in the world to outsmart that guy and end up having your quarter back again!

Thanks. I have been watching Ebay lol. I will probably just buy one anyway 8n similar condition to fill that spot in my finds book.

Bummer about the Barber :BangHead: On the bright side you found a White Whale!

Yep! Thanks!

Thanks!

My deepest sympathies dectorben!

Thank you very much.

That stinks.

Always good to pre-arrange an agreement on what you're going to do with your finds before you even start hunting.

Thanks.

Only problem with that is you might get them thinking you plan to find some really valuable "treasure" in their yard lol. Then their ears perk up and now they are very interested in what you do. Most people just say have at it and never say another word or even care to watch or see what you find.

Usually if I know that up front, I thank them for their time and move on. Your other finds are nice though.

Yep I certainly would have just gone to the next yard and not wasted my time finding coins for him or his grandson to sell on Ebay lol. He told Bob he would like to see what we find in the end at that was all.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss, I tell the homeowner that if I find something related to their property they will get it, otherwise its mine, no problems. Congrats on your silvers for the day.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's another way to look at this, if it's a guy that says "I don't think you'll find anything anyway"! I'm quite content to let him think he was absolutely right. Reach into the hole pick up a pinch of dirt with one hand and the find in the other. Shake your head in disgust and throw the pinch of dirt back in the hole. When you stand up shake your head again and stamp the dirt back in the hole, while tucking your find in the unseen pocket. We're Pirates right that's how we roll. I relate these folks to change up con artists that would let a classic car rot down in their woods before selling it to someone that would save it.

On the flip side. If it's a lady that doesn't have a clue I'd show her and tell her everything I know about the find and or write it down for her, then let her choose whether or not she'd like to have it.

For this guy to have pulled a trick like this on behalf of his donkeybound grandson just ain't right!

That's my story and I'm stikin to it!

Chivalry is one thing but self victimization is something else!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much can-slaw as we find hand em a dose of that!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear about the Barber! :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions