Vermont state seal button- is it from the Civil War?

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was helping a friend out yesterday by digging some iron junk out of his yard that the previous owner had dumped there. He had stepped on a rusty spike earlier this year, so he wanted me to get as many of the shallow nails and other pieces of iron out that I could. Early on I found this button next to a shallow piece of junk. It has the Vermont state seal on it, and I have seen similar buttons being called Civil War buttons. I am hoping that any you folks who are knowledgeable about buttons can tell me if this button came off a uniform from the Civil War or not.

vermontbutton1.jpg

vermontbutton2.jpg

vermontbutton3.jpg

The thing that strikes me as odd about this button is the red paint on it.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Upvote 10

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice button find. Only thing I can think of, is that it was buried next to something that may have had that Red color on it, and it leached onto the button ?

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks

Nice Relic! :occasion14:

Thank You

Nice button, congrats on the save

Thanks, Inspector

Very nice button find. Only thing I can think of, is that it was buried next to something that may have had that Red color on it, and it leached onto the button ?

Thank you, either what you said happened, or maybe the person was painting the barn in their old jacket and spilled paint on it. I'm still trying to decide if I should try to remove the paint, but I think I'll leave it on as it is part of the button's history.

Another question to any button experts reading this, could this be a kepi button as it is very small? It is 14mm across.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have my books on hand, but that doesn't look right for a CW era button. Looks like the shank just attached to the face with no back like a normal two piece button from the period. The red paint is odd too.

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve in PA,

I see what you mean, I thought it was the front of a two piece :dontknow:

and I think my 14mm measurement was off. I measured the button again and it is roughly 16mm across. I think that I measured the mangled part before.

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA,

I see what you mean, I thought it was the front of a two piece :dontknow:

and I think my 14mm measurement was off. I measured the button again and it is roughly 16mm across. I think that I measured the mangled part before.
I have Albert's and Tice's books at home. I'll try to remember to take a look when I get home.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I checked both books and the Vermont state seal was in use by 1855, but the pattern was used well after the civil war as well. Neither book shows an example with a wide rolled rim like yours. Without a back mark, it's tough to say.

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I checked both books and the Vermont state seal was in use by 1855, but the pattern was used well after the civil war as well. Neither book shows an example with a wide rolled rim like yours. Without a back mark, it's tough to say.

Thanks for the information! It's too bad that the 2nd piece is not there. At least I found the interesting side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread