Gold makes it worth the wait! ....tip of the iceberg....???

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its been a while folks but although not posting, have been very busy boots-on-the-ground (and fins-in-the water :))
Research
Research
Research……!!!!!

Hopefully all that academic stuff has paid off and proven some old stories have an element of truth after all!!! :)

Some Gold has finally seen the light of day and hopefully more to follow!!!

BVI

IMG-4189.JPG

IMG-4190.JPG

Upvote 84
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, Did the British sugarcane plantation owners pay their slaves in Spanish gold coins ? TP

Good thought but don't think they got paid at all!! :(

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a golden day u had.
Congrats

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems I'm unable to go back an edit any posts now (new feature on TN?) as I was going to add to the first post but ill add here what I can.....

As I mentioned, I have been researching a previous hilltop location, thought to be an old WRECK SALVORS LOOKOUT POST, where they waited fir ships to wreck before plundering them.

One particular story was a ship wrecked, but the crew made it to a nearby island and any so called "loot" was never seen again.
I have searched this other island before (uninhabited) and found various small items, but on a recent trip with my friend, we were surface looking for finds (pottery etc) nd lightly detecting as we went.
Under a tree, I hit a signal (the first, as its trash free) and kicked some light undergrowth away with my foot to reveal a brass button - WOW!! :) now this could be interesting!!
I did the old famous rub-with-my-thumb (that none of us ever do, right!!:) )and lo and behold, its the coin gleaming back at me! :)

We searched the immediate area but nothing else came up and had to leave due to tide and falling light.
I've yet to go back but am on tenterhooks to do so.

One theory from TNet is that it may have been coming FROM Spain, so maybe not from my / any wreck but pocket spill?
I've very little archived research about "my" wreck story, other than a map that shows a wreck, in the shallows near this island. I've yet to be able to search for any remains of this as yet.

The plan was (and is) to fully check the island for signs of occupation / targets etc and hopefully mount a summer expedition (once the tourists leave) when we can dive in peace to look for any wreck remains.

BVI

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
All I can say Captain, is, that by the time you are finished scouring the Islands and waters there, they will have to rename them as they will no longer be Virgin.:icon_biggrin::laughing7:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems I'm unable to go back an edit any posts now (new feature on TN?) as I was going to add to the first post but ill add here what I can.....

As I mentioned, I have been researching a previous hilltop location, thought to be an old WRECK SALVORS LOOKOUT POST, where they waited fir ships to wreck before plundering them.

One particular story was a ship wrecked, but the crew made it to a nearby island and any so called "loot" was never seen again.
I have searched this other island before (uninhabited) and found various small items, but on a recent trip with my friend, we were surface looking for finds (pottery etc) nd lightly detecting as we went.
Under a tree, I hit a signal (the first, as its trash free) and kicked some light undergrowth away with my foot to reveal a brass button - WOW!! :) now this could be interesting!!
I did the old famous rub-with-my-thumb (that none of us ever do, right!!:) )and lo and behold, its the coin gleaming back at me! :)

We searched the immediate area but nothing else came up and had to leave due to tide and falling light.

One theory from TNet is that it may have been coming FROM Spain, so maybe not from my / any wreck but pocket spill?
I've very little archived research about "my" wreck story, other than a map that shows a wreck, in the shallows near this island. I've yet to be able to search for any remains of this as yet.

The plan was (and is) to fully check the island for signs of occupation / targets etc and hopefully mount a summer expedition (once the tourists leave) when we can dive in peace to look for any wreck remains.

BVI

Hi , So plantation owners went to a lookout hoping their supply and sugar transport ships got wrecked on a reef ?

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BVI

Hi .So you have a treasure map .Your partner has one leg and a pet parrot .Is his name Long John Silver ? Wrecker's and ship watchers is the history of Cornwall . TP

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this isn't a Banner...then nothing is :):occasion14::icon_salut:

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi , So plantation owners went to a lookout hoping their supply and sugar transport ships got wrecked on a reef ?

I don't imagine for one moment this was an activity carried out by plantation owners!!!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi .So you have a treasure map .Your partner has one leg and a pet parrot .Is his name Long John Silver ? Wrecker's and ship watchers is the history of Cornwall . TP

Wreckers (or Wrackers) activity were carried out throughout in the Keys, Nth Carolina and the Indies and Caribbean including the Bahamas -
Wrecking (or "wracking") was an important activity in the Bahamas from its first settlement in 1648. A company of religious dissidents from Bermuda, the Eleutheran Adventurers, established a colony on Eleutheria. Their governing document, the Articles and Orders, included regulations of wrecking, providing that any salvaged ordnance would be held in common for the defense of the colony, and all other salvaged goods would be delivered to designated agents, "made fit for sale" and then sold, with one-third of the proceeds going to the wreckers.[7]
While the Eleutheran Adventurers were primarily farmers, seamen from Bermuda began settling on New Providence in the 1660s, attracted by ambergris, wrecks and salt. There were vessels dedicated to wrecking from this time, but wrecking was a secondary occupation for most men. These seamen, who called themselves "wrackers" or "wreckers", pursued wrecking aggressively, regarding all salvage as their property. They were rumored to have killed people who had inconveniently survived a shipwreck. They drove Spanish salvors away from Spanish wrecks, and even took goods that the Spanish had already salvaged. Spain regarded the Bahamian wreckers as pirates, and retaliated by attacking the wreckers' ships, kidnapping farmers from New Providence, and burning the capital

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ha! I wish!!
I think you maybe a little confused between "treasure" maps and research!! - this is the type of map one can find in archives (these are from my collection) - often long over looked, they can provide clues as to past events...
Indeed millions in silver were recovered in the 1980' from the Phipps wreck shown here -

IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You’re living the dream. Big congrats on the gold coin. Here’s to hoping your post title comes to fruition. If you do find handfuls of gold coins, I’m sure you won’t be able to share pics and details for many reasons, but be creative in letting us share in the dream if you have success.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You’re living the dream. Big congrats on the gold coin. Here’s to hoping your post title comes to fruition. If you do find handfuls of gold coins, I’m sure you won’t be able to share pics and details for many reasons, but be creative in letting us share in the dream if you have success.

Thanks!

It would be a dream to unearth a cache of coins for sure and I will always do my best to share here - after all, I've gotten some great advice / leads / tips / info on TNet over the years, and it has to be a 2-way street! :)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi The 1833 chart is for sale on UK ebay right now ? TP

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool! :)
Yes many are readily available and most can be found online and forums such as this, so often they don't even need to be purchased:icon_thumright:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant get off page one on this thread....I'm hopeing my post will get me there. ??

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey it worked finally changed pages. I also voted banner. I can't stop looking at that little sucker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread