Gold makes it worth the wait! ....tip of the iceberg....???

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its been a while folks but although not posting, have been very busy boots-on-the-ground (and fins-in-the water :))
Research
Research
Research……!!!!!

Hopefully all that academic stuff has paid off and proven some old stories have an element of truth after all!!! :)

Some Gold has finally seen the light of day and hopefully more to follow!!!

BVI

IMG-4189.JPG

IMG-4190.JPG

Upvote 84
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be disappointed that it's an old world coin at all !! Old world coins circulated in the windward and leeward islands more so than many of the other Caribbean islands. They would have traded for water,wood,food and other provisions, in addition they would purchase (with old world coinage) the islands own trade goods....sugar, salt, cotton etc. By they I mean many nations ships making first landfall in the new world enroute to trade from the old world (europe). Possibilities are limitless as to the who when and why about that coin !! I'm sure you have some good scenarios in your mind. I'll add that when ever I have tracked these wreckers in the keys there sites are good ones. At least for me they have been.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
keep in mind too that during that period of time, Spain's coins were the worlds currency. They were far more frequently used in the US in the early days.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't be disappointed that it's an old world coin at all !! Old world coins circulated in the windward and leeward islands more so than many of the other Caribbean islands. They would have traded for water,wood,food and other provisions, in addition they would purchase (with old world coinage) the islands own trade goods....sugar, salt, cotton etc. By they I mean many nations ships making first landfall in the new world enroute to trade from the old world (europe). Possibilities are limitless as to the who when and why about that coin !! I'm sure you have some good scenarios in your mind. I'll add that when ever I have tracked these wreckers in the keys there sites are good ones. At least for me they have been.

Thanks so much!! I knew you'd have a good thought on it, much appreciated!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I am reading all of your posts in this Thread all wrong but it seems to me that you are implying that BVI Hunter is a fraud or perpetrating a fraud concerning his' find. If I am wrong, I am sorry but if I am right, it would be best for you to get off of that Band Wagon before a Moderator recognizes the posts for what they are!! BVI Hunter does not need to perpetrate a fraud because his' finds, many of which have been posted on Treasure Net, speak volumes.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know me frank......go gol gold fe fev fever !!!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, unlike a find, that I perhaps dug in a field, with a GoPro filming it etc, this could be the first of the recovery process for something I've been looking at for a number of years - so I sincerely apologize for the lack of background. I hope you understand why.
Hopefully this will be a small chapter in a great adventure! one of which I WILL share if it comes to fruition!!

BVI

I can understand keeping this on the down low, but you could film it all, and once you have finished, then post it. Maybe even make a video about the research and history behind it all...after you are done of course.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can understand keeping this on the down low, but you could film it all, and once you have finished, then post it. Maybe even make a video about the research and history behind it all...after you are done of course.

I have a buddy who is an excellent cinematographer - if this pans out and we DO find something, I'll have him document it for real. Any smaller finds I'm happy to film myself and post! :)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you got a loyal supporter now !!! Woo hoo go get it bvi !! Everyone take note of that post please !! Lol !! Good luck brother.....were all rooting for ya !!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats BVI, best wishes and go carefully!

P.S. That darn monkey will steal your watch! LOL

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats BVI, best wishes and go carefully!

P.S. That darn monkey will steal your watch! LOL

Thanks!!
Hopefully its not too long before an update!! :)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your comment is an understood one! During WWII the term was "Loose Lips Sink Ships" and in this case, cause way too much trouble! Mute is good and a friend like no other in times like you could be having, hope so!.............63bkpkr

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , A single wooden currency tally stick did have the same value or could be traded as an equal to a ship full of silver or gold coins .The British used this system until 1834 as well as coinage . Gee that ends the idea that everyone just used coins .tally sticks for 40,000 years. TP

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi For Spanish coins to be used a currency in a British colony there should be a document called A Currency Proclamation Act . This would list the non british coins and a value and signed by the British Governor of the colony. TP

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tally 1=gold coin for BVI. Could very well be just a single dropped coin....but since BVI has found multiples before....well I know I'll be checking the thread.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi For Spanish coins to be used a currency in a British colony there should be a document called A Currency Proclamation Act . This would list the non british coins and a value and signed by the British Governor of the colony. TP

I didn't actually mention any British Colony? :)

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
colony regardless...you should be able to find Spanish coins all over the new world from Canada to the tip of South America, everywhere in-between and all over the Caribbean...not to mention the Philippines, China, Japan etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread