Rare Amwrican Bar shot relic found (Penobscot Expedition 1779)

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup me again on my continued hunt for REv WAr relics. Posted earlier a British 6 Pounder cannon ball on the 3rd of June. Revisited that hill since that is where Col Revere had his cannon emplaced and where the British at Ft George were cannonading his location. Hence finding the British ball in my previous post . However Revere did not land his cannon the morning of the 28 of July 4 but American ships cannonaded this whole hill plus all along a long ridgeline to soften up the British before landing . Later that day once the American Marines and militia took the hill he emplaced them . Now the American fired grape shot, 3, 4 and 6 pounder cannon balls plus bar shots from 3 and 4 pounder guns. The bar shots if not familiar with were mainly used against ships rigging but here used as anti personnel . Revisited that hill to see if any other cbs might be found and first target a long piece of iron most would discount as junk metal. However i had found ones smaller than this 7 inch example. Some Yankee Ingenuity here as there were 5 of these sections sandwiched together to make a complete shell if u would. Once it came out of the barrel these 5 sections seperated to cause much damage. Here is the one I found plus a smaller one in last pic that is a variant with 4 sections for a 3 pounder cannon. Only site I know of where these were used and ultra rare. Questions , comments always welcomed. Gary

Attachments

• Image (18).jpg
    Image (18).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 501
  • DSCN3666.JPG
    DSCN3666.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN3676.JPG
    DSCN3676.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN3677.JPG
    DSCN3677.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN3674.JPG
    DSCN3674.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Image (20).jpg
    Image (20).jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 24

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome piece of history

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Epic history save! I don't believe I've ever seen one of those recovered before. I'm voting banner due to rarity and historic significance.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great backstory and find , imagine that flying thru the air towards you..... yikes! Like you said some ingenious engineering

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome, rare and historical find! Congrats! I can't wait to see what other rare and historical items you find. Banner vote sent.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bravo Cman, fabulous find!

I can only imagine how terrifying that would sound like coming at you. I've read that on the sailing ships they caused many causalities as they basically turned the masts and spars into falling spears and splinters.

Nice work, BANNER!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Valley Ranger for your comments as well as the other's so far. I appreciate the fact u all respect the history these relics I have posted back in 2013 and the ones before I left Tnet and now back recently represent as it indeed is for American's our past as a new country under fire. Brit's as well believed in fighting for "King & Country" and I have featured relics in the past from them here in my past posts . Always respect the enemy.I can't say this relic is "Banner" material but hope it becomes one but not that I found it but at least in a Banner is seen more often but that each day folks post finds and don't take long to go from page one and then get lost. It deserves ,in my opinion only to be seen and appreciated for the history it is. Yes for "Rarity" and "Historical " significance it has plenty of that . Being fired by 1 or 4 American ships on the morning of the 28th of July 1779 on British regulars on a height of ground before the American's landed later that morning. To know this Google "Trask Rock for a short 8 minute video. Here are other American ord found in the past. Folks ask me how I know and make claim to what I write? The answer is for over 23 years now I have studied this battle, been on much of the ground it was fought on and not one to speculate. With that knowledge I know what I am writing about. I guess some would call that cocky but I call in knowledgeable . AS for terrifying this ord coming at u . Yes that is true and as a young 20 year old artilleryman in Vietnam some 50 years ago have me memories of your thoughts about that. THanks and hope can find maybe one more of these rare bar shot sections. However like finding a needle in a haystack but wil keep swinging that coil. Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3657.JPG
    DSCN3657.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Image (23).jpg
    Image (23).jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN3650.JPG
    DSCN3650.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 008_18a.jpg
    008_18a.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very interesting and exciting post. Congrats on these exceptional relic finds, and I greatly applaud your pursuit of history through research and diligence. Well done mate! :skullflag: :occasion14:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow the bar shot is super cool! I can only imagine the eerie sound of those whizzing through the air. Those who survived the assault likely had nightmares about them for many years after. Thanks for sharing your finds with us!

Steve

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relics, congrats! :occasion14:

Thank you for sharing!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Valley Ranger for your comments as well as the other's so far. I appreciate the fact u all respect the history these relics I have posted back in 2013 and the ones before I left Tnet and now back recently represent as it indeed is for American's our past as a new country under fire. Brit's as well believed in fighting for "King & Country" and I have featured relics in the past from them here in my past posts . Always respect the enemy.I can't say this relic is "Banner" material but hope it becomes one but not that I found it but at least in a Banner is seen more often but that each day folks post finds and don't take long to go from page one and then get lost. It deserves ,in my opinion only to be seen and appreciated for the history it is. Yes for "Rarity" and "Historical " significance it has plenty of that . Being fired by 1 or 4 American ships on the morning of the 28th of July 1779 on British regulars on a height of ground before the American's landed later that morning. To know this Google "Trask Rock for a short 8 minute video. Here are other American ord found in the past. Folks ask me how I know and make claim to what I write? The answer is for over 23 years now I have studied this battle, been on much of the ground it was fought on and not one to speculate. With that knowledge I know what I am writing about. I guess some would call that cocky but I call in knowledgeable . AS for terrifying this ord coming at u . Yes that is true and as a young 20 year old artilleryman in Vietnam some 50 years ago have me memories of your thoughts about that. THanks and hope can find maybe one more of these rare bar shot sections. However like finding a needle in a haystack but wil keep swinging that coil. Gary

You're welcome Gary. Keep up the great work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread