90 Cents short of a dollar. But it's silver and my oldest!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week my son and I hit a permission with lots of potential. Because of the harsh dry conditions and massive amounts of trash we cut the hunt short.

Today, I went back and finally dug my first Seated coin! Considering I started detecting in the mid 1970's, its been a long time coming!

Here are all my finds for the day.
FullSizeRender.jpg

And here is my first Seated Dime! 1884...my oldest silver to date.
FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg

When I first dug it, I assumed it was a silver Rosie and dropped it in my pocket. When I got to the car, I Pulled the dime out and poured some water over it.

Talk about a surprise! If I had not already been sitting I would have fell over!

Last edited:
Upvote 38

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the seated. Know you must be thrilled that was a very long time coming.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the seated dime save. Glad you were sitting too.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Seated coin Ammoman. You sure deserved that one !

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! Right now its pretty ugly. I don't think the dime is worth very much money so i will try and clean it. Any ideas on how to minimize the damage? I was thinking of the baking soda and tin foil method.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! Right now its pretty ugly. I don't think the dime is worth very much money so i will try and clean it. Any ideas on how to minimize the damage? I was thinking of the baking soda and tin foil method.
I don't know much about the soda and tinfoil but a small amount of bakeing soda in your palm and a couple drops of water for a paste really works well for staining and tarnish on silver.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats great congrats you have a good spot gotta be more Well done my friend

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice silver find! :occasion14:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting "Sat Down"!!!:icon_thumleft:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! Always nice to see a seated come out of the ground!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope it don't take another 40 years to find another Seated coin! That would put me in my late 90's.

Anyhow, here it is all cleaned up. This is what a coin looks like when pulled from gravel.
I also ordered a USB microscope last week. It came in today so these pictures were taken with it. Not bad pictures for 35 bucks!
S20190613_0002.jpg S20190613_0003.jpg

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Grats on the first. They say they come easier after you get the monkey off your back.
I started this hobby in the mid 80's out here and finally managed to find my first seated on Thanksgiving day in 2017. It's an 1883 dime.

Grats and GL next time out!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure hope it don't take another 40 years to find another Seated coin! That would put me in my late 90's.

Anyhow, here it is all cleaned up. This is what a coin looks like when pulled from gravel.
I also ordered a USB microscope last week. It came in today so these pictures were taken with it. Not bad pictures for 35 bucks!
View attachment 1722601 View attachment 1722602

Congratulations on a great find. Those are hard to come by, but worth the wait. I found an 1875 liberty seated a few months ago that I wanted to clean just a bit. What did you end up doing for this one, as it looks great other than some gravel damage? Again, congrats!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put water in small pot then partially submerged some tinfoil in the water. I then added more water to the tinfoil and heated the pot over the stove to the point of just about to boil. While the pot was heating up i added about a teaspoon of salt to the water in the foil and made sure it was dissolved pretty good. once the water was at its boiling point i removed the pot from the heat and put the coin in the salt water. I then sprinkled baking soda over the coin and watched the coin clean its self over about 5 min.

Note, if the water gets cool, remove the coin and repeat the process.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread