Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
“””UPDATE PICS DOWN BELOW”. Went to the Fort and dug this 6” inside the Fort in the white shells. Hard digging. Doing electrolysis now. Any ax men out there to age this beauty? Will take pics after.

Before IMG_2708.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 30

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good Inspector! You can see both Truth's find and the specimen you posted suffered impact mushrooming on the poll. Has been used for splitting a bunch...Regardless of hawk or axe, it's a neat old tool!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's good Inspector! You can see both Truth's find and the specimen you posted suffered impact mushrooming on the poll. Has been used for splitting a bunch...Regardless of hawk or axe, it's a neat old tool!

Thank you smallfoot I’m happy to own it. And yes it’s mushroomed.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mushroom only adds charactor....I would rather find one with good old honest use than one never used. Nice job.

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all tomahawks had a smoking pipe on them. This sure looks like a hammer pole tomahawk with the solid pole that was used later in its life to split wood. The pole has been pounded on and is deformed, that’s why it was discarded. Very nice find.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fullstock is correct. Furthermore, MOST tomahawks did not have a pipe, and sometimes the pipes broke and the end was re hammered to a flat.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now all tomahawks had a smoking pipe on them. This sure looks like a hammer pole tomahawk with the solid pole that was used later in its life to split wood. The pole has been pounded on and is deformed, that’s why it was discarded. Very nice find.

Thank you Fullstock I appreciate the comment

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Historic. Congratulations! Can't wait to see it cleaned up and preserved.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Try soaking in cheap brown vinegar next time . Came up nice . Called a Trap Hammer down under . TP

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The heel at the bottom of the blade says it was most likely made as a weapon first. Then second life as a tool. You have something awesome. Wish I found it first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The heel at the bottom of the blade says it was most likely made as a weapon first. Then second life as s tool. You have something awesome. Wish I found it first.

Man Hughett that means so much to me thank you. It’s funny because I was looking for another Rev pewter button that I had found there. IMG_1165.jpg IMG_1166.jpg It’s a lot of white shells so it hard digging and I remember feeling defeated only leaving with “another” old ax head. Lol

Then when I got home I started to notice damn this one I’d different. I think I love it. Lol

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have shells. I have clay and chert (clay,rocks,and very little dirt). You found and own a piece of America history. Was it used in battle, was it used on a ship, or was it used to build a fort? If it was mine... I would sit and stare at it and just wonder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread