My oldest U.S. coin.... they don't get much older

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked up the courage to ask for permission at an old active farm; they graciously said "yes." They mostly harvest hay, and the swinging was tougher than I expected through the course grass stubs. About 30 minutes in, I got a good strong signal at about 4 inches. Since the farmer said they turned the soil over a couple years ago, I was hopeful. I dug my plug, retrieved the coin, and was happy to see it was obviously not clad. However, I honestly wasn't that excited, as most large coppers I dig (which isn't many) are slick or barely identifiable. I took this one home and started scraping off the dirt. Sure enough, it was coming up blank. But then my luck changed when I saw a profile. At first I thought it was a Liberty Cap, as I mistook the bun or braid in her hair for a cap. I think this is more likely a Draped Bust cent. Still, it is my first of that type and beats my oldest U.S. coin by about 50 years or so. It is not quite as nice looking in real life, as I had to tilt the coin to get the best image, but it is still a pretty nice find in my opinion. Thanks for checking this out. Happy hunting everyone!

Attachments

• Draped Bust.jpg
    Draped Bust.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 41

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful coin! You just try to picture how that got there when your standing on the same ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread