Relic kind of day

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out today and swung between the rain drops and managed some relics.
5C9BA524-BC38-4540-8439-097FC9C5ACEB.jpeg

I need ID on this “E” thing.
I am thinking a badge to a tool of some kind.
00860E80-C99E-47D2-B815-80AEBC97FF12.jpeg A1E3DF1B-BDA8-44BF-898A-199CEA90A607.jpeg

And this Key.
It has GT&R Co on one side and a series of numbers on the other.
Local searches could be Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. or General Tire and Rubber Co.
Both were manufacturing companies making tires in my area.
F364EF05-A095-4B50-940C-A36E37F26BA7.jpeg 32C2AF72-A18A-4ED7-8658-F2EC08C1728B.jpeg

And my personal favorite:
This “bullet” looking piece is a novelty corkscrew.
Pat. Sept 4 1900
Made by The Williamson Co. Newark N.J.
F998F016-3907-4C94-B2B7-5650122F6615.jpeg 9A153CF5-A749-4682-B181-E20E71EC7259.jpeg 2FAB7E73-BEB2-4866-960B-084ECF54D578.jpeg
Personal opinion is a corkscrew for medicine bottles
Interesting story on this company if you care to read:
The Williamson Story
If you scroll down, there is a paragraph on this exact piece.

Upvote 19

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no not another one of those 'E's. They are found fairly regularly but have never been IDed on this forum yet. The one that got away.

Nice cork screw!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool!!! I hear ya about the rain, I went out after dinner and got soaked, still had fun though.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found one of those e things myself. didn't look like much so into the scrap bucket it went, to one day magically turn into a cold beer.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on some nice finds.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats ND! I have to echo CRUSADER on the E button. There have been several of these found in the last six months, and every time we tear our hair out to find an ID but all in vane! I think you'll be able to find the earlier posts in the search under E Button or perhaps just E. One of the earlier posts featured a map where these things have been found, and there were only about 15 of them. The best I could discern there was no obvious relativity between the locations
historically or otherwise, but the majority were found in Eastern States.

Be careful ticndig, that thing in the scrap bucket just might turn into a bottle of Champaign instead!

The corkscrew reminds me of some WWI battlefield finds.

Best wishes and good luck!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome old corkscrew. First one I’ve ever seen like that. Nice saves. Congrats

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has to be something with either limited distribution or limited survivability, and I don't think it's the later. They always seem to be in relatively good shape and
reasonably identical. I ventured to guess that it might have been a European traveler or perhaps a traveling salesman of some sort?

Some folks thought regimental button but how come they're never found with A,B,C,D or F?

I don't want to reignite the dialog because I doubt there's that much news to say on the subject!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to recommend that the folks who have these things form some of a subgroup so that the info from each of you could be accumulated into some kind of resource database on the topic. Maybe with enough background info accumulated a pattern might become obvious. Perhaps an in depth analysis of the ground they were found on. Carnival grounds, old school or church site or perhaps the site of some early business. There has to be some commonality!

Best wishes!

OP
OP
neodetectorist

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can I get a link to threads where these were discussed before? My E search doesn’t bring results.
I know I may be wasting time but this piece (The E thing) has my attention now.

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff especially the corkscrew!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure ND, Go into advance search, look into the second block for user name and type in JBnNC. A yellow drop down block will appear with that user name in it. Click on that. That will bring up his posts. Search the column all the way on the right marked Forum. Look for the posts in the "What is it?" category. You'll find a posting on Dec, 15, 2018 marked "modern E button". That was a real good discussion and many users submitted links to earlier posts. Some of these guys did find there's at or near Civil War related sites but there were some found in the northern states as well. I think there was one in the Great Lakes region. You'll find that many of them featured a small dent in the rim. We discussed whether it came from prying it off of something or if it manufactured that way. One of my theories was that it was a measuring cap for some kind of low dose medication and the dent was actually a pour spout. Perhaps a powerful pain medication.

Best wishes and good hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread