2 grist stones. Gotem!!!

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these about 3 weeks ago while out detecting. Probably a good 3/4 miles from my truck. No way to get near them with the truck, quad or golf cart. I was thinking wheel barrow until I saw the garden cart I bought for my wife last year just sitting there kind of lonely and looking for action (supposed to hold "up to 500 lbs."). Next step was to go back and mark them on GPS so I could get an idea from Google maps about where they really were. A week later I tried that but the leaves had come out and after 3 hours of searching I couldn't find them. A week after that I went back to detect the area and vowed not to return until I found them. I did find them again! No need for GPS as I marked where they were, summoned a friend and set a date to retrieve them. We probably used a bottle of bug dope between us but we got them out.
001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 010.jpg
I had mentioned these in another post a while back. Thank you to all who encouraged me for the retrieval.

Upvote 40

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure! Very valuable and historical finds, way to persevere and bring them home. Congratulations. Sub 8-)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you were able to bring those puppies home!! Job well done :thumbsup:

Shiloh

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560959824.044347.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560959842.098401.jpg found these while metal detecting one I believe to be a sharping stone the other was a Grist stone. Only found half of it.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, those are awesome! Congrats and good work going through the trouble of recovering them! Can you give a rough estimate of their weight and diameter?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
what were they doing there?...and what else is there too!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow good job doesnt that make you feel like a little kid again Im the same lugged an old railroad cart home lol

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Lugging those things out must have been a b***h!!! Great job, those babies are awesome and valuable!!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your persistence and hard work and time spent paid off. Congrats.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, those are awesome! Congrats and good work going through the trouble of recovering them! Can you give a rough estimate of their weight and diameter?
They were a bear to get out. Both are about 120 lbs. each (that's an estimate but I'm at the gym often enough to have a pretty good idea). Both are also just over 2' diameter. One still has the metal band around it too. Getting them out practically killed my friend. Poor guy! I offered one up as payment for the help but he would have none of it.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice landscaping pieces. Did you find a mill site nearby.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what were they doing there?...and what else is there too!
Not sure why they were there although there's tons of trash in the area. This was a new spot for me and I've only detected it 3 times so far. Found these, 2 silver coins, a bunch of bottles, cow bell (another post) and other stuff. There's so much in the area that I will have to grid and detect this place very methodically. I hate being so formal but I have a feeling I can find some really cool stuff here.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow good job doesnt that make you feel like a little kid again Im the same lugged an old railroad cart home lol
Yeah Tommy, this is exactly what keeps you young. I was telling my buddy that this is way better than sitting inside watching TV., as he was huffing and puffing pushing the cart. I would have loved to have been there helping with the RR cart. Found one here but too far gone with the rust to save it. Thanks!

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice landscaping pieces. Did you find a mill site nearby.
As in the pic, they're plopped where I will keep them for now. Took the "Weasel" to the ground and threw some wild flower seeds around them and the wagon wheel.
I looked at some old maps and found no mills close by, granted these only go back to the mid 1800's. I'm not sure what was there earlier.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool indeed. gotta love those. I have several of them that belonged to my family (years ago). these were very very important items to have back in the day. Cool factor is super high plus saving them to be seen in the light again. (I never did get your message that you meant to send me) I had a good garden cart that I built for our use around the place, my wife managed to destroy one of the wheels somehow so it is awaiting another trip to the salvage yard for new wheels LOL. Awesome save! Jerry

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome recovery of the wheels, where there's a will there's a way and I guess you mastered that, congrats on the saves

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hiked a 9 lbs cannonball out of the woods and thought that was quite a feat. Your mission was truly impressive. Cool historical save. Congrats!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not sure why they were there although there's tons of trash in the area. This was a new spot for me and I've only detected it 3 times so far. Found these, 2 silver coins, a bunch of bottles, cow bell (another post) and other stuff. There's so much in the area that I will have to grid and detect this place very methodically. I hate being so formal but I have a feeling I can find some really cool stuff here.

keep us posted...i am sure this could last awhile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions