Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This year on April 3rd I found at my REv WAr site my 2nd French Flur De Leis 6 pounder cannon ball . The first in my 23 years hunting there a good 15 years ago. So being an old military guy went on a mission to find a British and American cannon ball before this hunting season was done. O the 6th found a Brit 6 pounder. Yesterday I accomplished that mission with extracting a American 1 pounder from a cliff the American's cannonaded before landing Militia on the 28th of July 1779. Google "Trask Rock" to learn about it. Mission accomplished. Also this beautiful Victorian ladies hat pin in pewter.

Attachments

• DSCN3747.JPG
    DSCN3747.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN3753.JPG
    DSCN3753.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN3755.JPG
    DSCN3755.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN3756.JPG
    DSCN3756.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN3762.JPG
    DSCN3762.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN3767.JPG
    DSCN3767.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Upvote 28

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pretty nice finds.
Would love to find a cannonball

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Still trying to figure out the movements of troops during Rev War. Being much north of "Castine" I'm not having much luck putting together the pieces. Short of Machias, I don't know if any shots were really fired around north of that..? Chances of finding a cannon ball are pretty slim especially with the round rocks looking very similar. What a great find. Good for you on "mission accomplished"!!! Congratulations!!!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That hat pin is amazing.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on being rewarded for your hard work with that one-pounder and beautiful pin.

And a sincere "thank you" again for posting this history about the Penobscot Expedition. Thanks to you, I have been reading about this fascinating part of American history that has been mostly left out of the textbooks.

Would these one-pounders have been double-shotted? I have seen an x-ray of a larger excavated Massachusetts cannon recovered from the Penobscot (just east of Bangor) and it clearly showed two cannonballs. As an artillerist, was this a risky practice? I've shot modern black-powder long guns and a double shot is a definite no-no, although I have no first hand knowledge of the dangers of it.

Thank you again. Your posts make me want to visit Castine (I would leave my detectors behind - as it is unethical to hunt another's site after learning about it here).

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you researched the pin?

I believe it is a depiction of Athena (aka Minerva) the Greek goddess of war and wisdom and also the goddess of heroic actions. Athena did not glorify the violence of war but rather glorify the heroism and wisdom in just warfare.

Are there any markings on the pin that could suggest the age or place of manufacture? If indeed Athena, it would be an appropriate personal item (gift from a loved one?) for this action.

Last edited:

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Great hunting! You could probably write a book about what went on up there, and document each phase of the battle with the ordnance and artifacts you`ve found.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great finds I need a canonball

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Megalodin . Glad these relics and my writeups put u on the path of this history. These one pounders are just that a 1 pb solid shot cannon ball fired from a 1 pounder cannon/ Double shots were bar shots of which I have found a few ends of a 6.
Now maybe the story here should be more about that hat pin than the cannon ball. Reason I say that is I think u are right it being Athena. Thought it was silver but did not clean up like it and believe is pewter. Looks to be cast as well but has some good detail on the back as well on the roses. Pewter in the 18th century was poor man's silver. BTW the 4 flowers are actually I learned that "Tudor Roses" is the heraldic symbol of England going back to the 13th century. U may indeed may be on to something about it being a personal gift and let me throw this info out there where i found it for some food for thought and maybe some of u folks might want to chime in here. The cannon ball was found imbedded in the side of this step cliff are in shale. NOt far from it was a dropped 75 cal musket ball which means a British soldier was in this isolated area on duty and not close to a foot path . About 20 feet from that ball I dug this hat pin sitting under some brush and twigs and on shale. Being well protected from the elements. Soldier's often carried items with this like sweetheart coins and personal items from a mother or lover. Uploading the back of the pin that is probably along with pics iof a REv WAr officer's sleeve link I found in Castine and a Tudor Rose Navy buttons. If a Rev WAr soldier's item indeed a rare survivor. Opinions welcomed and thanks Megalogin .

Attachments

• DSCN3763.JPG
    DSCN3763.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN3769.JPG
    DSCN3769.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Athena was the most popular goddess of the time in England as well as Scotland and France. I have heard that the mobs who tore down statues during the French Revolution did not tear down statues of Athena. (My own family came over from France to N.S. until the defeat at Louisburg. Of those ancestors who remained in France, one was guillotined during the French Revolution for the crime of making arms for the king.) I have also heard some stories that both our own statue of Liberty and, less likely, the allegorical depiction of Britannia were at least partially inspired by depictions of Athena. Cameos and brooches were also popular here because Americans and the French believed Athena to also be a symbol of freedom and democracy. Without the Tudor rose, it would be difficult to assign the pin to one side or the other, but the Tudor rose should not have been present on an American pin.

Really enjoying your finds and discussions.

BTW, my user name is the name of a huge shark that went extinct about 3M years ago; we hunt for its teeth in the Chesapeake Bay Miocene (10-15M y.o.) fossil deposits within walking distance of our house. Its a fairly rare tooth to find and even rarer for me since my wife outhunts me.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting reading about your family history. Gory about the beheading thing . Mine is strickley English with the sir name of Edgecomb sometimes with an "e" and from a small island in England. Came to the SAco Basin region of Maine in the 1600s of which the town of Edgecomb was formed. Far as I know the Tudor Rose is strickley English as the thistle is to Scotland. The pin found in an isolated area not close to a foot path baffled me and defied explanation as it should not be there. . However a Brit soldier was indeed on duty on tha rocky crest as evidenced by his dropped musket ball. I think maybe if I listed it in a separate thread would get more attention since many rarely look at REv WAr relics anyway. Jewelry gets I think more visibility. Except for the gold Guinea I put up got 57 hits and like all threads in time dies away. Some idea about a possible "Banner" but been now like more than a month and I have no idea what is going on with that or not. I don't care about he recognition but think the coin deserves to be seen .
BTW I don't have no problem guys or gals hunting Castine as it does not belong to me but us all. After 23 years have probably found more than I deserve but do so enjoy sharing it with others. It only becomes unethical when u invite a friend, he gets greedy not sharing hot pots and when u part company and he brings others to the site. Happened to me. Yup I suspected the shark tooth is your thing and ate both rare and fascinating . Nice o find dome of u guys enjoying my threads. Thank u all. Gary

Last edited:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An epic piece of history. Nice save!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds, congrats! :occasion14:

Beautiful pin!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe the guinea - especially with the history associated with it, is not on the banner. I just sent a reminder to the mods to see if somehow a mistake of omission might have occurred. It is certainly deserving of banner.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Megalodon- Thanks and lately quite a few Banner worthy things being shown on Tnet. A lot to choose from BTW there are no markings on the pin . G

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the one-pound cannon ball - lots I dug a one-pounder a few years back. Surprisingly, the site is a few miles from shore line of Narragansett Bay - too far to have been fired from a ship. I understand that balls of this size would have been fired from a swivel gun aboard a ship.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks and my first one this year. Yes most of the ships had swivel guns and in fact in Bangor , Maine in the harbor where the American,s blew up 9 of their ships on the retreat one was found in a excavation in 2000. They also fired 3/4 and 1/2 pound balls as well. Last year I was lucky to find the same day a American and a Broad Arrow one only feet apart. THe Brits called them pills. One has to wonder why they even fired a ball this small as a grape stand firing 25 or 30 at one time would be more effective.G

Attachments

• scan_20140101001859.jpg
    scan_20140101001859.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN2912.JPG
    DSCN2912.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0458.JPG
    DSCN0458.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions