Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For those of you that have been following my posts about Relics & a gold coin found at the site of "The Penobscot Expedition" of 1779 thanks . As u know I have hunted this site now for 23 years and been fortunate to have found some rare battle relics and one gold guinea lost by a British soldier. Thanks to all of u for keeping the little gold coin alive on Tnet so others can enjoy it's history.
My last post was on the 27th and featured a rare 1 pound American cannon ball I found on that date and wrote here about it. Two days later I returned to see if any other relics could be found on that cliff area. No luck that morning but at the end of my hunt and getting ready to call it a day the relic gods blessed me with something on my "Bucket List" I was hoping to find either intact or at least in two sections. To keep this post short as possible google "Trask Rock" to get a better idea of this little known battle/ siege. The American's employed a variety of ordnance and fired from cannons on the British before a landing to take this part of the peninsula on the 28th of July 1779 . The fired solid shot cannon balls, canister shot, grape sands and bar shots. The latter used to take out ships rigging so the vessel could not function. However bar shot were also fired against ground troops .Bar Shot frags are what I have found in past hunts but never intact as they often broke in two or more sections when coming in contact with solid objects like rocks of trees. So finding one intact or at least in two sections and put together to make it complete is indeed rare and the "Holy Grail" of ordnance for this old artillery sergeant.
My day was about to end finding one grapeshot and a rare spindle to a grape stand and that my friends is a good day from a large site pounded since the 1970s by a small army of relic hunters. . However coming to the end of that hunt I decided to give it 15 more minutes so off the trial I go into the thick woods I go. Fired up my Deus and begun swinging the coil. A few minutes later I get an iffy iron signal. Those of u that relic hunt know "Rust is a Must" so dig everything. So i put my digging tool in the ground and to my surprize , at about 4 inches, pop out the end of a rare American bar shot fragment about 3 1/2 inches long . This would be my 3rd frag of this size which was fired from a 6 pounder cannon and American. Yes I was thrilled to find this relic and was a great way to end my hunt. However being late and my hunt about done marked that dig so could come back another day to possibly look for the rest of it knowing that would be like finding a needle in a haystack since often can be hundreds of feet apart if not already found . "But wait there is more" as u have heard in commercials. So I place the frag in my detecting bag and rest my coil against a tree root to get up off the ground . The coil goes off. I get up to investigate this signal that was between a large rock and tree root. Scrape away the dirt off the root and uncover the top of the second 75 percent of this bar shot. Hell how rare is this I thought. I summise to be found that close to the first fragment it was fired from an American ship went high as it could then fell to earth. 75 percent wedged between a rock and this wood root with the other 25 falling another 4 feet to the ground. So it is a surface and ground find. The largest frag, 75 percent, never seeing the typical buildup of iron oxide found on iron in the ground. So except for some water on it thru the almost 240 years it sat there wedged between that root and rock is a non dug relic and why it appears two toned. . This is probably the rarest of American ordnance and intact. Here r pics showing it resting between the root and the rock. Took me about 10 minutes to carefully hack it out with a hatchet with no damage. My concern was is it complete or is there another small frag left to find? I put both ends together and a perfect fit. Measures 9 1/4 inches and weighs 8 pounds. That day I took it off my "Bucket List". U may never see another. Questions , comments always welcomed. Enjoy. Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3790.JPG
    DSCN3790.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN3800.JPG
    DSCN3800.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN3802.JPG
    DSCN3802.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN3798.JPG
    DSCN3798.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN3805.JPG
    DSCN3805.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN3811.JPG
    DSCN3811.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN3813.JPG
    DSCN3813.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN3800.jpg
    DSCN3800.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Upvote 29

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic!

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool digs man. I’m excited about this find!
I’ll wait a bit but I’m thinking this may be banner !
Great recovery. Hh gl.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Thanks for the history lesson too. Makes me question every piece of iron I've left where I found them. Including a very particular piece I squirreled away the other day. Maybe I'll go back, grab it and post a pic for an ID.
Congratulations!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is cool!! :icon_thumright:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Castineman, Castine man, those relic gods are playing you like a puppet! And that's not a bad thing. I think this
is fabulous and believe you when you say I'll probably never see another. BANNER!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always appreciate your Rev War history lessons Castineman1779. Congrats on your great find and continuing success!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THanks guys. Eastcoasthunter. Yup the Dues is my main machine now . Who knows if a Banner find or not but one thing I do know if u think so maybe others will get excited and make it so. Casper !! I always hunt were few don't and highly recommend your Motto. Bodkin- Let me say many rare and great finds are indeed iron. IE, Musket furnature , ordnance , etc. I always mention don't throw away anything till u ID it. Case in point. Many years ago I was hunting here in Castine behind the fort with permission. Many relics, coins , musket balls and a few grapeshot and even cannon balls were found on multiple hunts there. One day I dug a small piece of brass that was a fragment of something bigger yet looked like trash. Put it in my hunting bag and moved on. Two weeks later since the ground finds dried up decided to sift a few holes. About a foot own I found what looked like about 3/4 of a gorget. British officers , some American's and Indian's wore them around their necks. So in my hand is this thin kinda crappy looking piece of brass. Then it comes to me that the other piece mossing I found 2 weeks earlier. Got home , put them together and a perfect fit. The gorget was worn by Penobscot Indian who was killed that day . The missing section was damage from the lethal ordnance, a grape shot or musket ball. My advice o u or any relic hunters keep it all till u can ID it. If I had not would not complete this rare relic. Pics to follow.

Attachments

• DSCN3730.jpg
    DSCN3730.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN3734.jpg
    DSCN3734.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that’s awesome!! I would not want to be on the business end of that thing

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm voting banner this is awesome! Congrats on finding two parts of the same needle in a giant haystack!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stellar.

Banner in my book.

Super well done.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just have to say what a privilege it is to read your posts and see your pictures and by doing so, learn about the history of this important site. You bring the history alive and that is why this bar shot, like the guinea before it, should be on the banner. I am composing my vote for it to include another reminder that the guinea seems to have fallen between the cracks and it would be a shame for it to be lost a second time.

I can't remember who said it, but I read a line from one poster on tnet that the metal detector was his stethoscope and he used it to detect the pulse of history.

Congrats on the bucket lister and thanks again for showing it to us.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great display item

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just have to say what a privilege it is to read your posts and see your pictures and by doing so, learn about the history of this important site. You bring the history alive and that is why this bar shot, like the guinea before it, should be on the banner. I am composing my vote for it to include another reminder that the guinea seems to have fallen between the cracks and it would be a shame for it to be lost a second time.

I can't remember who said it, but I read a line from one poster on tnet that the metal detector was his stethoscope and he used it to detect the pulse of history.

Congrats on the bucket lister and thanks again for showing it to us.

Megalodon
Thanks my friend in trying to keep the gold coin alive. I am on the outside looking in on this Banner thing . Can't comment on it but seams kinda vague how it is done. I doubt seriously the bar shot has a shot ,pun intended. LOL . One guy thinks it's a Banner but waiting to see what others do. Maybe this is the problem. Anyway I just find history and do a "Show & Tell". Glad u all are enjoying this history and as always thanks .BTW a gal named Kim (Underwonder) made a nice remark about the gold coin and noted that in her i guess motto. It is the most beautiful thing I have ever read and thanked her for it. She wrote " The detector is my stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past, To breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future. This gal has passion. Gary

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow Gary, "the relic God", another historical find. Such and extremely rare find unheard of BAR-SHOT 6LBR in dug or non-dug condition, imagine to find both pieces fired is such a historic battle of our war for independence. Spanish is style and origin, ordnance purchased by American government in early 1779. Fantastic, should be banner again. YOU GOT MY VOTE.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon
Thanks my friend in trying to keep the gold coin alive. I am on the outside looking in on this Banner thing . Can't comment on it but seams kinda vague how it is done. I doubt seriously the bar shot has a shot ,pun intended. LOL . One guy thinks it's a Banner but waiting to see what others do. Maybe this is the problem. Anyway I just find history and do a "Show & Tell". Glad u all are enjoying this history and as always thanks .BTW a gal named Kim (Underwonder) made a nice remark about the gold coin and noted that in her i guess motto. It is the most beautiful thing I have ever read and thanked her for it. She wrote " The detector is my stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past, To breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future. This gal has passion. Gary

Gary,
I'm so glad that you provided the correct attribution for Kim's memorable quote. I love that quotation and she deserves to have it correctly attributed to her.
Thanks again, Rick

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story and post, congratulations! :occasion14:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of that bar. Great piece of history. Congrats on the save.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread