MY LUCKY PENNY really was lucky for me today.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back on campus with the CZ 21 yesterday and found the usual pile of clad, 107 coins with a face value of $4.01 (penny heavy again, 81 out of 107), a pile of junk jewelry, a mine chit type number tag, a screw on athletic spike, and some silver and gold.

6BB15D7D-147B-4563-96B6-6A736F6E5B3F.jpeg

I started detecting in the grass strips in the parking lot. The first target of the day was the small enameled cross and a little while later I found the Del Grosso squashed penny marked “My Lucky Penny” and I thought to myself I hope you are lucky for me. As I was going along I got a high tone right up against the curb and thought it might be another penny, but no it turned out to be a rather unique hollow silver button without the shank. After awhile I decided to try the soccer field. They reseeded it in October and fenced it off to let the grass get a good start. The fence has been down for a little over a month so I gave it a try and the plugs come out good and the grass was thick so I could work without doing any damage to the field. (I have permission to do anything, but the baseball field. I wouldn’t be on the field without permission.) I got some coins and a copper bracelet and got a nice high tone and thought another quarter. No quarter. It was about 3 inches down and I saw the back of the band first. It was very cruddy and the dirt was caked on so I thought it was plated, but when I turned it over it was a nice big man’s class ring from 1970. It may have been lost by a player who came to play soccer years ago. It has the full name and I am trying to track down the owner. The name is rather unique and I found him on line, but the number listed did not work so I will have to try something else. The contact info the school has probably won’t be good after 49 years.

5D45F58B-F4E1-40A2-B58D-C38EB9A43A13.jpeg 6B3E8906-BD29-4527-9B3C-10E3E14CA4C4.jpeg

The ring has a red spinel in it and weighs .6 Troy ounces or 18.7 grams. A real nice chunk of 10k. It’s the first gold in my metal detecting year that started May 1. A great start for gold. This is class ring number 20 with 13 returned and one owner found, but did not want the ring back (I am really puzzled by that one).

AFF2992A-3E80-46D7-B2F3-75BF0DF9632D.jpeg 5EC53EF2-A344-421C-B332-DE829C8CA53B.jpeg 81E892DE-A8A2-4E78-B5E4-D7D56A546C95.jpeg

More clad for the pile and 2 nice surprises. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 24

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The gold made all of that digging worth it! Congrats! Hope those pennies turn to quarters. 81 pennies. Ugh.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, that's quite a haul of pennies, nice silver & gold saves, congrats on all & HH

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome gold and good luck on the return. yeah, people can be strange at times

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tag in the upper corner marked 1650 I thought must be a number tag for equipment or something because the mine chits I find around here are only 3 digits max and the numerals are much bigger. I was looking at my finds pictures and discovered I found the twin to that tag on campus May 1st. So it may well be a mine chit. Each miner had a bunch of tags all with his number on them.

Thanks for looking.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ring but...107 coins? I can't imagine finding that many coins around here in a year, let alone one hunt. I don't care if they are clad. My back would be messed up for a month. Just wow! Gary

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice!!!!!!!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those grass strips are always good well done

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the gold find! :occasion14:

marion moore

Feb 23, 2015
Greenville, South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lost ring

I'll bet the ring you found the guy gave it to his old girlfriend years ago, and she lost it, told his wife a lie

About his class ring, now he afraid to get it back, it could get him in trouble with his wife. Just a guess, great fines.a lot of hard work.

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
High tone on a 10k ring? Your AT Pro would have hit mid tone I believe. I'd guess it would hit at about a 65 VDI. Does the CZ21 hit high tone on pull tabs?

Great hunting! 107 coins with 81 pennies is not that out of normal for me. I have had many over 200 coin days. It's the 10K that makes it ALL worth digging and the little silver a nice bonus.

Congratulations, good luck with the return and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet the ring you found the guy gave it to his old girlfriend years ago, and she lost it, told his wife a lie

About his class ring, now he afraid to get it back, it could get him in trouble with his wife. Just a guess, great fines.a lot of hard work.

The ring that they don’t want back is actually a woman’s ring. No idea why.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High tone on a 10k ring? Your AT Pro would have hit mid tone I believe. I'd guess it would hit at about a 65 VDI. Does the CZ21 hit high tone on pull tabs?

Great hunting! 107 coins with 81 pennies is not that out of normal for me. I have had many over 200 coin days. It's the 10K that makes it ALL worth digging and the little silver a nice bonus.

Congratulations, good luck with the return and thanks for sharing.

I had gold register as low as 38 and as high as 80 on the ATPro depending on size and depth. Also the metal used to reduce the purity of the gold will influence the numbers and tone. 10k is only 41.7% gold and sometimes they used silver in the mix. So a large 10k ring only a few inches down sometimes gives a high tone.

The CZ 21 usually registers a mid tone for tabs, but occasionally when the tab is flat and really close to the surface you will get a high tone. (I always use a coil cover and scrub the grass for maximum depth.) I also usually dig iffy and mixed signals which sometimes give nice surprises, like good coins on edge in the hole.

Thanks for the reply and keep swingin.

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read that it is bad luck to return recovered items. It may just be a superstition, but why take a chance?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice variety. I like that chunk of a piece of gold class ring.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that it is bad luck to return recovered items. It may just be a superstition, but why take a chance?

I believe that returning things is good karma. Doing good for others will make good things happen for you. So far I have made a lot of returns with no expectation of a reward and I keep finding good things. I think my luck has been pretty good so I will keep returning.

Keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd to not want ring returned unless maybe they thought it was a scam or something

I talked to her mother and asked her to make contact and let her daughter know I just wanted to return the ring, no strings attached. Still no go so I gave up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread