Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out antiquing the other day and came across this ax. It was reasonable and frankly, I didn't have one, and have only found 3 Rev axes - ever, so snagged it because it was reasonably priced.

It is an ultra rare French made "Biscayne" trade ax. These were first traded to the native Americans ca 1520! The site this came off of was visited by the Spanish by 1560 or thereabouts. Just in front of the poll is the touchmark, a cross in a circle and it needs to be cleaned more to see it.

This thing is probably from the 16th century. Latest date would probably be about 1640 or so. All the characteristics are 16th century. Thank you God! IMG_0467.JPG

Upvote 39
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zoom in on the pic on the left for the mark. You can make out the cross, although it's seen it's better day. And Megalodon, it was a MEMORY, not knowledge that had me get it. Plus I didn't have one. I gave away my Civil War axes and only have one tiny, very tiny other example from a Rev War camp. They are hard to find. Or buy.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fabulous Smokey! Sometimes the little person on your shoulder sucks in a deep breath and says, "Oh My, Look at That!"

BANNER!, BANNER!, BANNER! East coast Spanish Colonial! Are you folks kidding?

Best wishes!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased it so can't get a banner, but thanks for the thought. About 25 miles south two years ago I found a Spanish Phillip II 1/2 blanca (copper) cob, looks like a dog ate it. Now here's the rub...it's almost 500 years old! The Spanish were known to have visited here at that time. The locals ran them off.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Smokey! I've read that the Jamestown colony was constantly on guard for Spanish incursion. Some think there may have been some of that!

Best wishes!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a couple hundred miles (at least) north of Jamestown, on a county bordering the Chesapeake Bay. The history books tell us in the 1560's and thereafter some Spaniards made it up here. We found a little spot next to a road, which had been an Indian trail and what must have been a small campsite there. We also found a few huge musket balls at the same place. No buildings.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go everywhere. Well, not really, but I'll write that down to keep it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread