It Was the Best Place I've Hunted in 5 years...I Was Kicked Out Today..

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only once every few years you will find the spot to hunt in that has numerous good targets to dig. I found that place for the last 5 weekends. Today I discovered that I was
hunting in green grass medians that were part of a home owners association. This area was patrolled buy security guys in marked vehicles. It took 5 weekends for me to get discovered by
these guys. It was an honest mistake from me, I thought I was in the regular city property. Oh well, It was awesome while it lasted. The guy in the patrol car was actually polite, he said
from higher up he was asked to tell me I could not dig holes:(

Before I was asked to leave I did manage to dig up 4 more silver coins and 13 wheaties from the "Field of Dreams". I covered about 60% of the area leaving 40% for the next guy to hunt before he gets kicked out too.

I would be willing to bet that at least 20 more silver coins are left to dig in this place. They will be all easy hits, all the silver I've recovered have been 4 to 6 inches.

These are the totals from all that fun:

73 wheaties
12 Rosies
10 Mercs
3 Washington Silver Quarters
1 SLQ 1928-S
1 Walker Half
1 Silver Ring
$ 30.00 + in clad coins

Attachments

• Finds 6-14-19 001.JPG
    Finds 6-14-19 001.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Finds 6-14-19 002.JPG
    Finds 6-14-19 002.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 128
  • Finds 6-14-19 003.JPG
    Finds 6-14-19 003.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Finds 6-14-19 004.JPG
    Finds 6-14-19 004.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Finds 6-14-19 005.JPG
    Finds 6-14-19 005.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 97
  • Finds 6-14-19 006.JPG
    Finds 6-14-19 006.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Finds 6-14-19 007.JPG
    Finds 6-14-19 007.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Finds 6-14-19 010.JPG
    Finds 6-14-19 010.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Upvote 60

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you feel. I have not been asked to leave yet, but have had a few "no's" at private properties.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
somebody finally complained, it only takes one. but you did pretty awesome there while you could

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey CHF...u had a good run!! And wow, you TORE the silver up, my friend! Congrats on what you got, and sorry to hear and bout getting kicked to the curb.. (literally) lol.. Now every time you drive past there, you'll get that feeling in the pit of your stomach. You're hell on those medians tho! Ddf.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was one heck of a run CHF. Glad you were able to at least save a portion of that long lost silver. Maybe you would want to get in touch with the President of the Home Owners Association, and explain it was an honest mistake, and ask permission to finish your quest. I think I would. Offer to do a little volunteer work around the grounds to help you get your foot back in the door.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see how the HOA are using the due's to fix the roads and the landscaped areas on the medians!! Bunch of BS to me. I don't see what the problem is! Sorry for your luck Cool Hand.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still got some nice silver and I bet it was a good feeling pulling out all those beauties. Congrats

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I had a similar experience after about four trips there. Finding good stuff; Barbers, Mercury's, Indians, huge skeleton key, etc. Thought it was city property and asked city police department if it was legal to MD city property, and they said go for it. Come to find out, it was county property and no MDing. Bummer... A lot still left there.

dbdsquared

Feb 26, 2019
Beverly Hills, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Definitely write them a letter and offer to make it look better than it does with some new grass seed and watering. :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
home Owners association "Higher Up"
That means 1 Person complained ! probably, female , Ugly as Fresh Crap.
Shaved, Or Near Shaved Head
and & Jealous they can't do it.

Nice Finds !

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember metal detecting with my grandpa. He routinely detected schools and parks. The holes he dug to recover targets in lawn areas was just a little bigger around than the target. He had special probes that he made that had soft tips.
He would lay a towel down to catch all of the dirt.
My job was to help recover the target. Man I would have loved to cut a big plug out and dig a hole.

I look back on that and realize that he was trying his best not to get booted and it apparently worked.

Maybe wait a couple years, then approach the maintenance guy and ask permission?

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Ugly as fresh crap" :laughing7::laughing7: :occasion14:

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and finds. Id rather beg pardon than permission any day

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the fine series of hunts! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those homeowners can't even fart without written permission My mom belonged to one there was this pine tree blocking her front window view to the golf course ECT in the middle of the night I chopped it down after a few brewskies damb right and dragged it out to the woods about 1/4 mile away by 8 am 5 to 6 q tips show up with the tree and a home owner association team leader he said you need to put another tree there the same kind because every condo has to look the same I got one but it was only 1 ft high lol I was not always a pillar of the community. I could never live like that you'll find another spot just as good or better

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I missing something? Did you run down to the city to check the maps? HOAs are notorious for claiming streets & parkways that aren't theirs. Example - A buddy from work had a corner lot and one side was city street & easement for a sidewalk. He'd park his truck there when loading up the camp trailer. The HOA Nazis would come ticket his truck and the court told them to knock it off, they didn't. The HOA actually came out and put No Parking signs up (3). Only problem was they put them close to his fence which was his property. Loaned him my Tpost puller and he removed them. They took him to court. Court said, "His property his posts" he presented the HOA rules saying no signs allowed and he thought it was over. Well, they didn't give up! They placed new signs closer to the street. Whoopsie! He complained to the city & since the signs were right in the middle of where the sidewalk should be, the city made the HOA remove them. While removing them they broke his water line! One of the guys from work had a relative the was a plumber. So he came out & repaired the pipe by replacing it all & wrote up a bill for around $4800. They had to take the HOA to court to get paid. This time he had enough to file a cease & desist. Now he parks there when he wants & the HOA has eased off. All this because the HOA didn't bother to look at the maps. HOAs are like junk yard dogs. You gotta slap em on the snout enough to get them to leave you alone.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I agree with boogeyman. Easements are just that. If you don't damage anything you really didn't dig a hole. You merely moved a small amount of dirt to recover a lost coin. I would look into it and you'll probably find out that the HOA has no say so at all what the public does on an easement. Again, you can't be damaging anything so if you are like me and can cut a 2/3rds plug, hinge it over, retrieve the target and hinge the plug back with no trace and the spot doesn't even turn yellow.....
Sometimes you wonder if these busy bodies have been hit over the head by some dude out metal detecting and that is why they hate us so. Do they even see the trash we pick up?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread