Colonial Wayside Tavern Yields a 307-Year-Old Coin

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
What's up, fellow Tnetter zoysters? Well, KirkPA, PACO, and I got out to the wayside tavern site today. Overall, it was a great metal detecting day on a beautiful metal detecting site with a lovely metal detecting breeze blowing by us metal detectorists the entire day! :D

The day began with the usual butt-ins for KirkPA and me. So, being a great metal detectorist :D, I decided to up my game by gridding out areas with zoyboy passion and determination. Well, to make a long metal detecting story short, I was swingin' my trusty analog detector down a row, when I was startled by a large nail on the ground. I yelled over to KirkPA, "SQUARE NAIL, LARGE SQUARE NAIL!" He looked over and couldn't do anything but laugh. Once I picked up that beauty, I placed it into my pouch, and pranced down the row a little more, hoping for a coin or another 1700s butt-in. About 20 yards down the row from where I got the square nail, I got a nice, strong "P" on "PENNY" hit on my analog detector. Well, to make another long metal detecting story short, I eventually found the target: a 1700 clipped Colonial copper. After I realized what I had, I instantly took my headphones off, and started running around saying, "CLIPPED, CLIPPED, CLIPPED, CLIPPED COIN, DUDES!" KirkPA did not understand what I was saying because he instantly said, "That would be a 15-yard penalty." Eventually, after he realized how much I was zoying out, he dropped his detector and started leaping cornrows with his relic shovel in his hand. Once PACO got to the zoy celebration, we started slapping high fives with KirkPA and I yelling, "YEAH, YES, I KNEW THEY WERE HERE." Here are a few pictures of the coin:
clippedcopper011-2.jpg

clippedcopper006-2.jpg

clippedcopper006.jpg

KirkPA continued to find handfuls of Colonial butt-ins throughout the day. After every butt-in, he would scream, "COLONIAL BUTT-IN." Great job on a relic kind of day, KirkPA. Pictured below are his finds for the day:
buttons001.jpg

Here is the picture of my butt-ins:
butt-ins006.jpg

PACO also had a relic day, finding 5 butt-ins and 5 musketballs. Great job, Bud!

I am not sure what type of coin I found today, even though I do know that it is British. KirkPA believes that it is a William III, so any information that anyone would know would be greatly appreciated. The coin is a bust facing left with "MVS" letters on the obverse.

In conclusion, I am a metal detectorist who goes "aaaaaaaaaall" year for a few nice coins, usually 1700s and older. I know for a metal detecting fact that "Mr. Walter" would be proud of my style.

Our Total Finds from this Site in Two Trips:
-45 butt-ins
-25 musketballs
-late-1700s shoe buckle
-Clipped Colonial coin

zoyster

Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Colonial Wayside Tavern Yields a COIN

Nice finds there guys. It's got alot more detail than the clipped copper I found the other day Zoy. Is that your oldest coin so far? You guys are definitely on the right track. I have a feeling that site will give up alot of coins.

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Evolution said:
Nice finds there guys. It's got alot more detail than the clipper copper I found the other day Zoy. Is that your oldest coin so far? You guys are definitely on the right track. I have a feeling that site will give up alot of coins.

Yes, it is my oldest coin to date!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

zoyboy said:
Evolution said:
Nice finds there guys. It's got alot more detail than the clipper copper I found the other day Zoy. Is that your oldest coin so far? You guys are definitely on the right track. I have a feeling that site will give up alot of coins.

Yes, it is my oldest coin to date!
Congratulations man. How old is this site? Were you expecting to find late 1600's early 1700's stuff?

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

We did read accounts from the 1790s pertaining to this tavern. The coins carried by the colonists were usually of French, Spanish, and British origin, so it is possible to find early coinage like this.

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

plehbah said:
I am not sure on your coin, but I think the little letter "B" is a company letter insignia for a hat. Probably pre Civil War militia.

I wonder if a militiaman was having a drink at the old tavern, or if there is a drill field in the neighborhood.

KirkPA was wondering what it could mean.

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Ole Grubstake said:
Great finds. Whites strikes again
grubby

Amen to that, bud!

zoyster

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

zoyboy said:
plehbah said:
I am not sure on your coin, but I think the little letter "B" is a company letter insignia for a hat. Probably pre Civil War militia.

I wonder if a militiaman was having a drink at the old tavern, or if there is a drill field in the neighborhood.

KirkPA was wondering what it could mean.
At least he only found one "B" this time and not a whole swarm of them. ;D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds, I am now positive more to come from there, just has the right artifacts.
The "cut" copper is hard to identify, I suggest doing a trace on the date area, to me it looks like 170_ If it is than most likely a William III copper Halfpence dated either 1700 or 1701. William III coppers and King George I & III coppers face Right, meaning the nose is on the right side of the coin as you are looking at it. ( I can not tell from the photo on which direction the bust is facing)

Only the King George II copper has the bust facing left, unless you have a Conn copper, than that could be facing either direction, but if you can read any of the letters on the bust that are different than GEORGIVS, and read GVLIELMVS, than it is most likely a 1700-01 William III copper, but the bust must face RIGHT.

Don

Here is your coin combined into one pic. Added one of mine so you can see bust facing right

Attachments

• zoyboycutcolonial.jpg
    zoyboycutcolonial.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,474
  • 1695WilliamIII.jpg
    1695WilliamIII.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,466
OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

I am going to look at again and take another picture of it.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Zoyster...

Great post, pics, and finds! More pics of Paco!

And more pics of you guys in the field diggin... if you can without givin away your location...

Great job!

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

After KirkPA and I looked at it closer, we can now see a right facing bust; therefore, it is a 1700 William III copper.
pics009.jpg

zoyster

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your oldest Copper!

Don

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on your oldest Copper!

Don

Thanks, bud, I could not have done it without you, the greatest Colonial coin hunter ever.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Brother, I am happy for you, brother! :-* :D This site is so much fun to detect. We, literally, are digging a hole almost every few minutes, so it doesn't get boring. That 1700 coppa is going to be difficult to top. Hmmmmm....unless I find a Spanish cob! ;) :D I do believe there are some wilvers and coppas waiting to be excavated!

Like I stated on the walk back to our "Treasure Vehicle," "We are the best treasure hunters in Central PA!" :o :)

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY ZOYBOY,
IT WAS A PLEASURE WATCHING YOU DO FRONT HANDSPRINGS TRYING TO SPIT OUT THE WORD CLIPPED AT THE SAMETIME. GREAT JOB PAL.
YOU DESERVED IT.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go guys!!!

Zoy- Congrats on a great find Sir.

You guys are certainly the Button Beeee-atches. Maybe that's what that "B" is for? ;D

Great post & pix.
A toast to you three on a great hunt.
-MM-

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YO KIRK, I NEARLY FELL OFF MY CHAIR WHEN I SAW THAT PIC OF YOU WITH THE KISSES . I HAD TO SHOW THE WIFE AND GIRLS. WE ALL LAUGHED OUR
&SSES OFF..........SEND ME A PIC OF THAT TO MY E-MAIL. I MUST PUT THAT ON MY WALL PAPER...........

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coppas are so much more fun to find when you can ID them. Congratulations Zoy on your 1700 coppa "half". Now go back and find something with a 16 on it. :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread