Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Decided to test out my Garrett AT-Pro on a salty beach so the wife and I went to New Smyrna Beach North today at 4pm (low tide). The first thing I found was there are only 2 access roads to the beaches and both cost $20 to cross. What a ripoff. We got there at 4pm and the gal at the gate said if we come back in an hr she would be gone and we could pass for free so we hit the local bar.

Went back at 5:10pm and she was gone but the beach was still full of cars (you can drive on the beach). We found a spot with fewer people and I started hunting with my trusty wife as digger. This was the first time she has ever been with me hunting so she couldn't wait for me to find the rings. The first thing I noticed was the AT-Pro was great in the dry and wet sand even along the serf. I had it set on pro zero, no dis and sens -2. It was so quiet I thought it was broke. I had her put her ring in front of the coil just to make sure it was working.

Hunted for 4 hrs and couldn't believe how clean the beach was. Found a couple of tent stakes, a few pennies, a piece of a metal toy and in one spot a dozen corona caps some fool just threw down. This is the first time in over 35 years that every 2' - 3' I didn't get a coin signal. It was low tide and the water was out 30 - 40' from the high tide line so I thought I'd get lucky.

So now the wifely is thinking I don't know what I'm doing and why did I spend all that money for nothing..... :BangHead:

Upvote 14

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Till you find that gold or Diamond ring My better 7/8 sold some of my gold for a water heater 1800 dollars now I hide those from her and the kids lol

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Till you find that gold or Diamond ring My better 7/8 sold some of my gold for a water heater 1800 dollars now I hide those from her and the kids lol

First gold ring I found I showed it to my wife. Haven't seen it since!

OP
OP
Billieg

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My first wife was my hunting buddy and had her own Teknetics 9000 and found almost as much as me. 23 years worth. This new wife gets her nails done every week and thinks ruffing it means a holiday inn. Tomorrow we go to another beach and God I hope to find a ring....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes beaches are a bust, but sometimes GOLD rings...you never know! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Billieg

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first wife was my hunting buddy and had her own Teknetics 9000 and found almost as much as me. 23 years worth. This new wife gets her nails done every week and thinks ruffing it means a holiday inn. Tomorrow we go to another beach and God I hope to find a ring....

Went to Ponce inlet about 10 miles south of Daytona. Same thing and no ring. I can't believe these beaches are so clean. But on the bright side I'm getting a good tan....

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A+ for the efforts & getting the wife to dig, hope next hunt gets you the goods

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Decided to test out my Garrett AT-Pro on a salty beach so the wife and I went to New Smyrna Beach North today at 4pm (low tide). The first thing I found was there are only 2 access roads to the beaches and both cost $20 to cross. What a ripoff. We got there at 4pm and the gal at the gate said if we come back in an hr she would be gone and we could pass for free so we hit the local bar.

Went back at 5:10pm and she was gone but the beach was still full of cars (you can drive on the beach). We found a spot with fewer people and I started hunting with my trusty wife as digger. This was the first time she has ever been with me hunting so she couldn't wait for me to find the rings. The first thing I noticed was the AT-Pro was great in the dry and wet sand even along the serf. I had it set on pro zero, no dis and sens -2. It was so quiet I thought it was broke. I had her put her ring in front of the coil just to make sure it was working.

Hunted for 4 hrs and couldn't believe how clean the beach was. Found a couple of tent stakes, a few pennies, a piece of a metal toy and in one spot a dozen corona caps some fool just threw down. This is the first time in over 35 years that every 2' - 3' I didn't get a coin signal. It was low tide and the water was out 30 - 40' from the high tide line so I thought I'd get lucky.

So now the wifely is thinking I don't know what I'm doing and why did I spend all that money for nothing..... :BangHead:

I was just in S Daytona Beach last week , I took my New ATP but I never took it to the beach , (I saw 3 other hunters walk in circles for an hour or so 1 day ), Figured it was a Bad time to learn the ATP . We had a good time , hope you enjoyed yours .

You also got me thinking & reminded me of something I thought of while in Daytona "People use less Cash 'Esp Coins' than they did even 10 years ago IMO " now when people get change they tend to lose it more.
Good eve.
Davers

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been going to Ponce Inlet boating for 22 years, everyone that comes to Fl for vacation with their MD hits those beaches. You might give Disappearing Island a shot, it’s the big sandbar in the middle of the Inlet where all the boaters hang out. Check with the water taxi if they will take you out. Also check the beach at the Inlet on the south NSB side near the stone jetty where the surfers hang. You might have better luck in those not so high detected areas.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First gold ring I found I showed it to my wife. Haven't seen it since!
I had a Platnum ring a 14k gold bracelet with coke bottle charms. , a few rings and My Daughters have pillaged some silver bracelets and I cashed in over 800.00 in clad after tumbling it . I think that was the worst I keep all my clad in mason jars and I have totals of quarters dimes nickels and pennies I know Im weird but ITS MINE MINE MINE I TELL YA ALL MINE. Lessons learned. I ve told her to give me my pants back nope she wears the pants but I got my pouch and my hiding spots BRATS lol

OP
OP
Billieg

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been going to Ponce Inlet boating for 22 years, everyone that comes to Fl for vacation with their MD hits those beaches. You might give Disappearing Island a shot, it’s the big sandbar in the middle of the Inlet where all the boaters hang out. Check with the water taxi if they will take you out. Also check the beach at the Inlet on the south NSB side near the stone jetty where the surfers hang. You might have better luck in those not so high detected areas.

Thanks!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Platnum ring a 14k gold bracelet with coke bottle charms. , a few rings and My Daughters have pillaged some silver bracelets and I cashed in over 800.00 in clad after tumbling it . I think that was the worst I keep all my clad in mason jars and I have totals of quarters dimes nickels and pennies I know Im weird but ITS MINE MINE MINE I TELL YA ALL MINE. Lessons learned. I ve told her to give me my pants back nope she wears the pants but I got my pouch and my hiding spots BRATS lol

Great story Tommy! You might have to bury your goodies in the yard. They won't want to get their fingernails dirty digging right?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got that right you gave up my hinding spot lol under the Dobermans bone

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Ill find a new spot they would never find it. Like under the lawn mower...

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang......you rock tommy!! That's hilarious!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool discussion.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flipperfla is right, FL beaches get a lot of MD action, especially in the area you were hunting. I'm sure Flipperfla knows that area better than I do but, in general, also don't discount the inter and intra coastal waterways. People are swimming all over and pull their boats up to sandbars to party with others. So much plays into the beaches too. One day a strange tide will expose everything, go back the next day and it's buried. Doesn't seem like much changed but even the subtlest of change and you find nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread