Legendary Football Players Brass Social Security Card Found - Returning to Family

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've waited a few days to post this to give me time to do the research. Once I found how prominent this person was I wanted to see if there were surviving family members who might want it back. I was dump digging a few days ago in our favorite creek, which is a local legend itself for producing amazing finds, when I saw the corner of something ornate. Turned out to be a brass social security card. It was quite corroded but luckily everything on it was legible. I researched the name and found out it belonged to a local legend. Lindy Berry played Football for the TCU Horned Frogs in the 1940's and then on to the NFL in the early 50's. While at TCU he set several records, some that were not broken until the late 1990's and one in 2005. He is in the TCU Hall of Fame and the Oil Bowl Hall of Fame. He even has his own 1950's Topps football card! Lindy was born in Wichita Falls, Tx in 1927 and died in Fort Worth, Tx in 2014. I located his niece today who has also made a name for herself in sports and social media. I am mailing it back to her and she plans to surprise her father with it. She said she would would send pics of her dad receiving the card. If she does I will post them to this thread. I dug some other cool stuff on that particular day but this card was by far the best!

_MG_8328.JPG Lindy TCU Annual.jpg Lindy TCU.jpg Lindy Yearbooksm.jpg Lindy Berry Topps Card.jpg _MG_8300.JPG IMG_2026.jpg SS Card Mailer.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 44

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honorable Mention this is really cool you did alot of research and to contact the Niece who will give it to her Father. You are a Great person with a big heart amazing .Thanks for sharing this story. If you dont get an Honorable mention I will eat every single bottle cap I find for the next year. Moderaters dont let this happen lol

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honorable Mention this is really cool you did alot of research and to contact the Niece who will give it to her Father. You are a Great person with a big heart amazing .Thanks for sharing this story. If you dont get an Honorable mention I will eat every single bottle cap I find for the next year. Moderaters dont let this happen lol

Thank you so much A2Coins! Lets hope you don't have to eat any bottlecaps! :D

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then I would be like the guy detecting with steel toed boots trying to find where the signal was coming from.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Tommy, Honorable Mention for sure! If that doesn't happen, I promise to dig up all the bottlecaps here in MI so Tommy doesn't chip a tooth!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, and great job on the research for the return. Honorable mention from me also. I will also eat bottle caps if you don't get the honorable mention, but mine will be the candy bottle caps from the 1970's ! My teeth aren't as tough as Tommy's anymore !

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, agree with everybody above. Way nice and a Honorable Mention is in order. Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Tommy, Honorable Mention for sure! If that doesn't happen, I promise to dig up all the bottlecaps here in MI so Tommy doesn't chip a tooth!
Now I'm hoping it doesn't you can start with the Arb Steve lol

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm hoping it doesn't you can start with the Arb Steve lol

Tommy, nobody has ever cracked a beer and thrown the bottlecap on the ground at the Arb!!!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say both Honorable Mention and Banner, awesome find of a lifetime and a return

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find. Congrats. Voted Honorable mention.

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that’s definitely a conversation piece.and should be nominated for honorable mention and banner.:hello2::headbang:

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I toss a Banner vote in also

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nicely done garren! Honorable mention and Banner find!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find and return! I am sure the niece's Dad will be ecstatic to receive the Social Security Card and you definitely deserve an Honorable Mention!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a great find ! It might be kinda fun to see someone eat bottle caps though! lol Just kidding!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool. I have never seen a social security card made like that. Wonder what activities brought it to this resting place...:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread