Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I targeted a couple of sites to search yesterday. The first ‘new permission' homestead site was in the middle of a farm field, unfortunately it was covered in a corn crop. (first two pics shown) I’ll have to wait for the fall harvest to detect this one. The next site I went to was where a one-room school was located in the 1860s. Unfortunately, it had seen a bunch of ton of activity in the past 150+ years and all I found there was modern trash and coins. Luckily it was located directly across the street from a homestead site the arkies had dug last summer.

As always, I would like to thank the arkies for leaving a beautiful looking horse rosette for me to find! :thumbsup: Now, I’ve found a lot of rosettes in my nine years of detecting, but this example has more detail then any I’ve ever seen before. Coming out of the ground, it looked smooth as a baby’s bottom, it was only after giving it a warm bubble bath that the details started to appear. After a couple of passes on a fine brass wire wheel, a liberal slathering of Museum Conservator’s Wax and a final polishing with a buffer wheel, you can see the results. It was originally silver-plated on brass.

I have included pics of what the foundation look like that the arkies had uncovered last summer. The area circled in red is where I detected yesterday and also back in June after the beans had been planted... you can see what it looked like yesterday. :laughing7:

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave

Attachments

• 20190803_164544.jpg
    20190803_164544.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190803_164610.jpg
    20190803_164610.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190803_164124.jpg
    20190803_164124.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190803_164054.jpg
    20190803_164054.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20190630_141622.jpg
    20190630_141622.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20190804_193213 (1).jpg
    20190804_193213 (1).jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190804_193231.jpg
    20190804_193231.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190804_193350.jpg
    20190804_193350.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 76
  • WP_20180916_07_25_04_Panorama.jpg
    WP_20180916_07_25_04_Panorama.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190804_193324.jpg
    20190804_193324.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20190804_201351.jpg
    20190804_201351.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20190804_192901.jpg
    20190804_192901.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190804_193104.jpg
    20190804_193104.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 36

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've always noticed how much you research your sites Dave. Great job :icon_thumright: The rosette turned out awesome,love the detail!! Keep at it

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s the nicest rosette I’ve seen.
Excellent Dave.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!! I found My first Seated Dime at a long lost School like that. Good Luck on future hunts!!!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's superior Dave! From the research to the restoration, total package!

What's your interpretation of the image? Central figure, possibly female, looks like she may be throwing
a fishnet? Figure on the right maybe native chieftain or perhaps Neptune? The other finds look interesting
too. Is this the same group of archies with the sifter on a bobcat?

BANNER!

Many happy returns!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Good job on that beautiful Rosette. Awesome save!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
These are probably commercial Archie’s who’s only purpose is to look for some Indigenous bones which I’m sure the developers pray/pay aren’t found. Archie’s who dig ancient sites I absolutely see the need. I’m not as convinced when they require digging on a homestead which has oodles of documentation of settler life in comparison.

Great clean up on the rosette Dave. Is that Indian headdresses I see?

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The image on the rosette reminded me of the constellation Orion!
RJGMC

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice job, congrats! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beauty Dave you earn all those good finds Well done

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That cleaned up real nice. Congrats!!!

Thanks for your post Bodkin. :thumbsup:
Best of luck to you,
Dave

I've always noticed how much you research your sites Dave. Great job :icon_thumright: The rosette turned out awesome,love the detail!! Keep at it

Thanks buddy, I like to say... "If nothing happened there, then there'll be nothing to find" :laughing7:
Thorough research is the key to finding new sites to detect.
Dave

That’s the nicest rosette I’ve seen.
Excellent Dave.

It's the most decorative I've ever seen too.
Thanks for your post my friend. :thumbsup:
Dave

Nice looking Rosette. That thing cleaned up real nice.

Thanks for your post Trezurehunter.
I'm definitely getting better with the bench polisher... I'm not destroying as many relics as I used to. :laughing7:
Dave

Nice!!! Congrats!!! I found My first Seated Dime at a long lost School like that. Good Luck on future hunts!!!
Thanks very much Randy! :occasion14:
Congrats on your Seated find, you never know what might pop up at these old sites.
Best of luck to you as well,
Dave

That's superior Dave! From the research to the restoration, total package!

What's your interpretation of the image? Central figure, possibly female, looks like she may be throwing
a fishnet? Figure on the right maybe native chieftain or perhaps Neptune? The other finds look interesting
too. Is this the same group of archies with the sifter on a bobcat?

BANNER!

Many happy returns!

Thanks for your support Phil, but I don't quite think that a horse rosette is BANNER material. :laughing7:
I've been trying to figure out what the scene is from?

Maybe she represents the Greek Goddess of Agriculture and the Harvest - "Demeter is the goddess of the harvest and presides over grains and the fertility of the earth.
Although she was most often referred to as the goddess of the harvest, she was also goddess of sacred law and the cycle of life and death."

The other figure looks like a Native American. There's a lot going on in the scene, I might have to post it in the What is it Forum. :icon_scratch:

This is another site down the road from where the arkies used the power sifter on the skid steer.
Dave

Wow!! Good job on that beautiful Rosette. Awesome save!

Thanks very much Patriot.
Also... thank you for your service! :icon_salut:
Dave

These are probably commercial Archie’s who’s only purpose is to look for some Indigenous bones which I’m sure the developers pray/pay aren’t found. Archie’s who dig ancient sites I absolutely see the need. I’m not as convinced when they require digging on a homestead which has oodles of documentation of settler life in comparison.

Great clean up on the rosette Dave. Is that Indian headdresses I see?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here my friend. :thumbsup:
At one point there were 17 arkies on this site over a four month period last summer.
This was an early pioneer settlement site for the Durham Region, lived on by a well know family.
Consequently, the arkies did an in-depth investigation of the site.

What they didn't know is that I detected this site steady for almost 4 years prior to their arrival.

Hope you're having a good year in your area,
Dave

The image on the rosette reminded me of the constellation Orion!
RJGMC

Thanks very much for this RJ, I'll do some research and try to pin it down.
Dave

Very nice job, congrats! :occasion14:

Thank you Professor.
Dave

That's a beauty Dave you earn all those good finds Well done

Thanks very much buddy! :thumbsup:
Hope you're having a productive year so far.
Dave

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome research/story/recovery/pictures, that is a fantastic looking Rosette, excellent job cleaning, congratulations & HH

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds. I like the rosette - very unique. I've done lots of sifting (the primary means of artifact recovery by archaeologists) and read enough archaeological studies of colonial sites to know that the metal detecting is more productive than archaeological excavating in terms of the yield of artifacts recovered; furthermore, metal detecting hobbyists can make worthwhile contributions to the study and interpretation of finds with a small investment of time and effort. While I respect the work performed by archaeologists, I also fault them for the elitist views. I think their time would be better spent worrying about the steady loss of historical sites to land development and other events to the passing of time. Some archaeologists are working with detectorists, but many still arrogantly regards us as nothing more than looters. Such regard is a terrible misrepresentation.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome research/story/recovery/pictures, that is a fantastic looking Rosette, excellent job cleaning, congratulations & HH

Thank you for your post Inspector. :thumbsup:
As I'm sure you well know, research is the key to making finds.
Dave

Great Finds. I like the rosette - very unique. I've done lots of sifting (the primary means of artifact recovery by archaeologists) and read enough archaeological studies of colonial sites to know that the metal detecting is more productive than archaeological excavating in terms of the yield of artifacts recovered; furthermore, metal detecting hobbyists can make worthwhile contributions to the study and interpretation of finds with a small investment of time and effort. While I respect the work performed by archaeologists, I also fault them for the elitist views. I think their time would be better spent worrying about the steady loss of historical sites to land development and other events to the passing of time. Some archaeologists are working with detectorists, but many still arrogantly regards us as nothing more than looters. Such regard is a terrible misrepresentation.

Thank you for your post and for sharing your thoughts my friend. You and I think along very similar lines when it comes to archeologists and the function they perform. My biggest complaint, is in my area they are hired by private land developers to do 'archeological assessments' of the land that is slated for development. In the majority of cases, they're only looking for evidence of Indigenous occupation and care little about the actual pioneer families who settled the land. The finds they make are catalogued, stored in boxes and are then made available to university students for study.

What I have a problem with is the report generated by the arkies. For the average local citizen like myself who wants to know what was found, this report is not available to the general public. The main reason is that it was privately commissioned and paid for by the developer and is therefore not made available to the public. By law here in Ontario, an archeological assessment must be made of all lands prior to development. I have been called "a thief of history" by an archeologist before, consequently I now make it my personal goal to recover whatever I can from their sites once they're done.

I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your finds,
Dave

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Update

I was able to get more neutral lighting to rephotograph the rosette and the details about what's going on are much clearer!

I can now see two Native Americans and a female figure (Liberty?) standing next to a buffalo in the grass. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20190807_162758.jpg
    20190807_162758.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190807_162821.jpg
    20190807_162821.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190807_162842.jpg
    20190807_162842.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190807_162920.jpg
    20190807_162920.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 59

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, with these nice new photos, I see 3 Native Americans plus the figure in the foreground. .. the thing I thought was a sombrero is actually the buffalo's hind quarters, and his tail is very pronounced .. Tatonka..It was a good hunt!

Notice, too, that the Chief in the background and the lady in the front are wearing the same "chain-look" sash. My interpretation of it now is the Chief, and the Chieftainess (his wife) and their two son's are in celebration of the "first kill."

Last edited:
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Actually, with these nice new photos, I see 3 Native Americans plus the figure in the foreground. .. the thing I thought was a sombrero is actually the buffalo's hind quarters, and his tail is very pronounced .. Tatonka..It was a good hunt!

Notice, too, that the Chief in the background and the lady in the front are wearing the same "chain-look" sash. My interpretation of it now is the Chief, and the Chieftainess (his wife) and their two son's are in celebration of the "first kill."

This is definitely one of the most detailed rosettes I've ever found. :thumbsup:
Isn't it amazing that something like this was missed by the arkies, who worked this site for 4 months last year. :laughing7:

Thank you so much for interpreting this for me creskol and for 'everything' you're doing for me.
Dave

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the clean up Dave. What a beauty. Congrats again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions