The ''Squirting cucumber cache'' or Lots and lots of crusty coins!

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Hi fellow TNeters.
Today is the first day of my Summer vacation. I decided to rise early and take a walk on the seashore cliffs at my hometown in Attica, Greece.
As I may have written before there was a huge devastating wildfire last year so almost all of the coastal vegetation, trees, shrubs, bushes were burnt to the ground, it's a real sad sight, everything black and charred.
There's one ''positive'' aspect to this sad story though, lots of relics and trash got washed out during last Winter and are now waiting for someone to find them. I have been finding coins from time to time, really crusty ones, that have been lying under the bushes for some time before the fire came and baked them black.
Today after finding a couple of coins I sat down where I was at that moment and I took a better look around.
There were lots of broken glass, bottles, old porcelain fuses lying around and at one particular spot, under a squirting cucumber bush*, I started finding one coin after the other. I got my pocketknife out and started digging in the burnt earth, not deep, about an inch or so and found even more coins.
Some time later the sun got higher and I decided to leave, I will go back tomorrow I think and definitely after the next rain...
My ''haul'', 101 crusty (or very crusty) coins, 2 very damaged ones, 2 telephone tokens and 4 more coins that I found in the vicinity, not part of the ''cache''.

cache1.jpg

cache2.jpg

The square handle could be associated, the coins were surrounded by parts of rusted metal (maybe the remains of a box?), the cross like thingy was there, too, I have no idea what this is...
I have them now immersed in olive oil, I'll leave them soack in it over night before trying to clean them a little in the morning.
A couple ones I checked have dates from 1909 to 1969, I'm still hoping some coins -I'm betting my money on the really small ones- will be silver or some of them could be old and rare ones, who knows?...
I'm very excited, even if this turns out to just be a kids coin collection that was thrown out during some renovation work and not my first semi-dug cache I thought (all my finds are surface/eyeball finds), but I'll keep posting fresh info and pics as I start cleaning them up.
Wish me luck and happy hunting to you all!

*A ''squirting cucmber'' or ''bitter cucumber'' is a wild poisonous but fun plant (Ecballium elaterium) that grows wild in these parts of the world, google it up if you like...

Upvote 41

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goodness, what a cache! Please keep us updated once you know more about the coin dates and types!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully, there’s some good ones in the pile that you found. You may want to consider building yourself a sifter and see what else might turn up from that same area. Good luck!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....that's incredible !! Awsome find, congrats !!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job, keep up the good work! :occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get yourself a metal detector! :icon_thumleft:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A awesome discovery you have found. Like to hear and see more as you continue. Thanks for sharing.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fabulous yaxthri, nice haul!

If not a detector then get yourself a good pinpointer like the Garrett Carrot! The cross
could be a holiday ornament, maybe silver!

Poisonous but fun?

Many happy returns!

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
it used to be that detectors were illegal in Greece, done that
don't know about today's laws

nice find

Last edited:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the coins. I feel like ancient Greek coins must be all over the place. I have also heard metal detectors were illegal there, but it might be as simple as you can't metal detect on public land. Permissions may be the way to get around that.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Congrats on the coins. I feel like ancient Greek coins must be all over the place. I have also heard metal detectors were illegal there, but it might be as simple as you can't metal detect on public land. Permissions may be the way to get around that.

took me 3 days to clear customs, and I had a ton of documentation and references (who appeared !)
do not mess with Cultural Patrimony, you will not win

yes, there are artifacts all over (cannot imagine Tom-from-CA living there)

edit: for the benefit of those who may not be familiar with foreign countries (wrt the US), most countries have defined cultural patrimony laws protecting sites and (some ?) artifacts (Swiss Collectors provide the bogus documentation). Invariably prior cultures/civilizations are protected, the exception in some cases being colonial remnants. The US is quite different due to the definition of property and a general lack of respect for those who we displaced. There is no such thing as a "permission" to violate cultural patrimony laws.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yaxthri

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
took me 3 days to clear customs, and I had a ton of documentation and references (who appeared !)
do not mess with Cultural Patrimony, you will not win

yes, there are artifacts all over (cannot imagine Tom-from-CA living there)

edit: for the benefit of those who may not be familiar with foreign countries (wrt the US), most countries have defined cultural patrimony laws protecting sites and (some ?) artifacts (Swiss Collectors provide the bogus documentation). Invariably prior cultures/civilizations are protected, the exception in some cases being colonial remnants. The US is quite different due to the definition of property and a general lack of respect for those who we displaced. There is no such thing as a "permission" to violate cultural patrimony laws.

BillA you are very well informed. Not legal to detect in Greece but there are legal way to do so only the government will own everything of archaeological importance that will be found (I'm supporting this by all means by the way) but you can get a permission to hunt a specific (and of course modern, anyway more recent) treasure if you have info but the taxes if one finds anything will be very high not like in the UK...
Anyway not planning soon to get into trouble with the authorities, all coins so far are ''modern'' :-)

OP
OP
yaxthri

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Thanks guys for ll the responses.
Well I went back there today, just after the sun had risen. I went straight to digging up the loose earth around the ''hot spot'' but I covered quite a large area up- and downhill from that spot.
I found 32 coins and 2 very damaged ones (I bet these made of aluminium small denominations) and a brass tag or buckle with an eagle on it (bottom left item, I'll post this one in the ''What's it'' section)...

cache3.jpg

The troubling thing was the coins were even more widely dispersed than I originally thought so I still didn't find the point where their container has dissolved and they got washed out and downhill.
So the new finds are in their olive-oil bath with the first ones. I had absolutely no time to start trying cleaning any of them, all morning I was busy and in the afternoon we started packing, I will have to be patient now for some days because tomorrow, early in the morning we will leave for our vacation...

I'll be back with new pictures and information right when I will have something new to share.

Cheers and Happy Hunting!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool hope to see some more info from you.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yaxthri, I think you've found yourself a "Picnic" area wink, wink! A sure fire way to loose
your pocket change. Also, modern is a relative term!

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Greek society is like any other (despite those utterly false Trojan rumors); looters being at the bottom of most totems.

During my trip to Greece I was specifically hidden away so as to not have contact with anyone, and that was without my eyepatch !
(but I had 2 detectors)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread