Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back at my 1783 permission and scored a pewter spoon. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565228341.063562.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565228365.017424.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565228381.954014.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565228394.436562.jpg

Upvote 17

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a beauty, mine always come out of the ground in bite size chunks

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Nice,,,

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing detail on the bowl!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a nice find.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, congrats! :occasion14:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a really nice relic EB! I have a lot of early pewter spoons but none have any design. Just the rat tails and dog nosed type. Well done

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great looking find, I've yet to find a complete example.
It would be amazing is if you could get it restored, now that would make for a great display piece. :thumbsup:

Dave

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great looking find, I've yet to find a complete example.
It would be amazing is if you could get it restored, now that would make for a great display piece. :thumbsup:

Dave

Thanks, I bet you’ll get a complete one when you least expect it.

I definitely want to display it but I need to find a case that can show the fancy details on the front and back sides. I’m sure I’ll find something if not I’ll just make one. Thanks again

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, I bet you’ll get a complete one when you least expect it.

I definitely want to display it but I need to find a case that can show the fancy details on the front and back sides. I’m sure I’ll find something if not I’ll just make one. Thanks again

Don't you mean... if I dig enough holes, one day I 'might' find a complete example. :laughing7:

"It's important to remember that early pewter had a very large lead content. Because lead is a poisonous substance, its daily or frequent use resulted in the chemical leaching out of the plate, spoon or tankard and quickly being absorbed into the human body. As a result, many died from pewter poisoning, especially sailors. Pewter is crafted with a much lower lead base today, so it is not anywhere near as dangerous as it was a couple of centuries ago. It is difficult to find pieces that are not damaged or restored in some way.

Centuries ago, sterling silver was displayed in people’s homes to show off their status or wealth. People who could not afford sterling relied on pewter examples fashioned to look like silver pieces to brighten a cupboard and fool visitors, who, most often could not tell the difference between the two metals. When it comes to marks, items stamped “pewter” indicate that a piece was actually manufactured in the 20th century. Punch or touch marks include various symbols, initials and makers, and there are thousands still that remain unidentified to this day."

Congrats again on your find my friend, :thumbsup:
Dave

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because it was so soft these spoons really took a beating. I believe it was Eli Whitney that carved his own spoon mold and traveled around to farms melting down old pewter ware and recasting it for a price. Early in his career. Would love to find some of his mold

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you mean... if I dig enough holes, one day I 'might' find a complete example. :laughing7:

"It's important to remember that early pewter had a very large lead content. Because lead is a poisonous substance, its daily or frequent use resulted in the chemical leaching out of the plate, spoon or tankard and quickly being absorbed into the human body. As a result, many died from pewter poisoning, especially sailors. Pewter is crafted with a much lower lead base today, so it is not anywhere near as dangerous as it was a couple of centuries ago. It is difficult to find pieces that are not damaged or restored in some way.

Centuries ago, sterling silver was displayed in people’s homes to show off their status or wealth. People who could not afford sterling relied on pewter examples fashioned to look like silver pieces to brighten a cupboard and fool visitors, who, most often could not tell the difference between the two metals. When it comes to marks, items stamped “pewter” indicate that a piece was actually manufactured in the 20th century. Punch or touch marks include various symbols, initials and makers, and there are thousands still that remain unidentified to this day."

Congrats again on your find my friend, :thumbsup:
Dave
That and the powdered lead in the cosmetics that the ladies covered their faces with. Begging for the miseries

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because it was so soft these spoons really took a beating. I believe it was Eli Whitney that carved his own spoon mold and traveled around to farms melting down old pewter ware and recasting it for a price. Early in his career. Would love to find some of his mold

That’s really neat. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That and the powdered lead in the cosmetics that the ladies covered their faces with. Begging for the miseries

Can you imagine how some of the common household goods that we use today will be looked at in the next 100 years or so?..Is that a plastic container? Don’t touch it... Is that roundup [emoji15]? Crazy to think about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread