Nazi Eastern Front Medal ...dug in Massachusetts!?!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a short hunt yesterday at an old farm house permission. I was kind of shocked that I was finding nothing, as I was expecting at least a Barber or a Mercury. I was at my wits' end when I got a strong penny signal at about 4 inches. It was actually too strong, so I was bracing myself for trash when I dug this medal. I had no idea what it was until I got home. According to Wikipedia .... It is a WW2 military decoration given to both German and Axis personnel that served on the German Eastern Front (Russia) in the winter campaign of 1941/1942. Armed service personnel qualified for the medal after a minimum of 14 days in active combat; 30 combat sorties for Luftwaffe members; 60 days of continuous service in a combat zone; being wounded or suffering a frozen limb severe enough to warrant the issue of a Wound Badge. The German on the back translates to "Winter Battle in the East 1941/42" While not what I was hoping for, it is certainly among my most unusual finds. Not sure how it ended up in my town, though I have a few guesses and will talk with the owner about it. Perhaps they have a Veteran in the family that lost this "souvenir." By the way, I want to preserve it with ren wax. Does the medal have to be completely clean to use that or can it go over a dusty object? I am a little afraid to clean this any more, especially with water. Any links to an instructional video on ren wax? Thanks for any tips. Happy hunting.

Attachments

• Nazi Medal Front.jpg
    Nazi Medal Front.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Nazi Medal Back.jpg
    Nazi Medal Back.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 26

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was the eastern campaign push towards Russia. Winter as said on the medal. Bitter cold. It is worth your time reading about the conditions of this campaign. Meat freezer is an understatement

KATY213

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather came home with one of these and an array of many other medals badges bars cap pins iron crosses arm bands youth shirts and knives a broom stick mauser collar boards patches all from the swaziland. He said the after the war ended Many of the soldiers were willing to trade anything for these items. 1 cigarette would get you a panzer tank badge etc.. I ended up with about 30 or 40 decent pieces when he passed. (the broomstick went to my uncle) I donated it all to the George Patten museum at Chiriaco Summit California. It was time for everyone to see it.

It is a WW2 military decoration given to both German and Axis personnel that served on the German Eastern Front (Russia) in the winter campaign of 1941/1942. Armed service personnel qualified for the medal after a minimum of 14 days in active combat; 30 combat sorties for Luftwaffe members; 60 days of continuous service in a combat zone; being wounded or suffering a frozen limb severe enough to warrant the issue of a Wound Badge. The German on the back translates to "Winter Battle in the East 1941/42" While not what I was hoping for, it is certainly among my most unusual finds. Not sure how it ended up in my town, though I have a few guesses and will talk with the owner about it. Perhaps they have a Veteran in the family that lost this "souvenir." By the way, I want to preserve it with ren wax. Does the medal have to be completely clean to use that or can it go over a dusty object? I am a little afraid to clean this any more, especially with water. Any links to an instructional video on ren wax?

KATY213

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a WW2 military decoration given to both German and Axis personnel audacity temp mail origin that served on the German Eastern Front (Russia) in the winter campaign of 1941/1942. Armed service personnel qualified for the medal after a minimum of 14 days in active combat; 30 combat sorties for Luftwaffe members; 60 days of continuous service in a combat zone; being wounded or suffering a frozen limb severe enough to warrant the issue of a Wound Badge. The German on the back translates to "Winter Battle in the East 1941/42" While not what I was hoping for, it is certainly among my most unusual finds. Not sure how it ended up in my town, though I have a few guesses and will talk with the owner about it. Perhaps they have a Veteran in the family that lost this "souvenir." By the way, I want to preserve it with ren wax. Does the medal have to be completely clean to use that or can it go over a dusty object? I am a little afraid to clean this any more, especially with water. Any links to an instructional video on ren wax?

It is a WW2 military decoration given to both German and Axis personnel that served on the German Eastern Front (Russia) in the winter campaign of 1941/1942. Armed service personnel qualified for the medal after a minimum of 14 days in active combat; 30 combat sorties for Luftwaffe members; 60 days of continuous service in a combat zone; being wounded or suffering a frozen limb severe enough to warrant the issue of a Wound Badge. The German on the back translates to "Winter Battle in the East 1941/42" While not what I was hoping for, it is certainly among my most unusual finds. Not sure how it ended up in my town, though I have a few guesses and will talk with the owner about it. Perhaps they have a Veteran in the family that lost this "souvenir." By the way, I want to preserve it with ren wax. Does the medal have to be completely clean to use that or can it go over a dusty object? I am a little afraid to clean this any more, especially with water. Any links to an instructional video on ren wax?

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee, I knew the OstFront was pretty long, but Massachusetts? Who knew...

a great book to read on the closing of the Eastern Front is To The Bitter End by Rolf Hinze.
It mentions your award being given to Hitler Youth around the Berlin perimeter, IIRC.

Great find!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread