Nazi Eastern Front Medal ...dug in Massachusetts!?! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Nazi Eastern Front Medal ...dug in Massachusetts!?!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer
    3387 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by lenmac65 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. This is crumbling, and I would like to slow that down. I have the wax, but will have to look into getting the pencils. I have the Andre's pencils, but that is different than the fiberglass. i wish I had better preservation skills ... oh well. Thanks again.
    In that rough of condition another option is to set it in a block of resin. You can get clear casting resin and a mold at Micheals Crafts for around $30 or so. Cast it into a paperweight sized mold and it will never deteriorate. You won't be hurting anything by doing that because in that condition, not being a battlefield found relic, there's really no collector value to lose and you'll have a neat conversation piece that you can display and handle without worrying about it being damaged.
    lenmac65, trdking, Hawks88 and 1 others like this.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    Randy

Aug 2017
    SW Missouri/Oklahoma
    Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800
    9229 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Nice!!! Congrats!!!
    lenmac65, Hawks88 and Inspector like this.
    What would life be without challenges, and detecting of course.....

us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro
    698 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Ken View Post
    In that rough of condition another option is to set it in a block of resin. You can get clear casting resin and a mold at Micheals Crafts for around $30 or so. Cast it into a paperweight sized mold and it will never deteriorate. You won't be hurting anything by doing that because in that condition, not being a battlefield found relic, there's really no collector value to lose and you'll have a neat conversation piece that you can display and handle without worrying about it being damaged.
    That is a really cool idea. If the owner doesn't want it when I offer it to him, I just might do that. Thanks!
    NOLA_Ken and Inspector like this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Michigan
    Excal II E-trac
    565 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wow really cool find. Would be great to know how it got there, but probably lost to history.

Preserving in resin would be really cool.

Hope you find some more goodies out there.
    "Silver Train is coming' think I'm going to get on now, oh yeah" - Jagger/Richards

us
    Jeff

Jul 2019
    South Carolina
    Garret Ace 300.
    97 times
    Metal Detecting
    Awesome Find!!

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    2891 times
    Metal Detecting
    That was a sharp looking medal when it was new. Zinc with selective silver plating. Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ostmedaille.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	1742509
    trdking, Hawks88, lenmac65 and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    6267 times
    This was the eastern campaign push towards Russia. Winter as said on the medal. Bitter cold. It is worth your time reading about the conditions of this campaign. Meat freezer is an understatement
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    10305 times
    Very interesting and unusual find. Congrats.

Aug 2019
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    My grandfather came home with one of these and an array of many other medals badges bars cap pins iron crosses arm bands youth shirts and knives a broom stick mauser collar boards patches all from the swaziland. He said the after the war ended Many of the soldiers were willing to trade anything for these items. 1 cigarette would get you a panzer tank badge etc.. I ended up with about 30 or 40 decent pieces when he passed. (the broomstick went to my uncle) I donated it all to the George Patten museum at Chiriaco Summit California. It was time for everyone to see it.
    It is a WW2 military decoration given to both German and Axis personnel that served on the German Eastern Front (Russia) in the winter campaign of 1941/1942. Armed service personnel qualified for the medal after a minimum of 14 days in active combat; 30 combat sorties for Luftwaffe members; 60 days of continuous service in a combat zone; being wounded or suffering a frozen limb severe enough to warrant the issue of a Wound Badge. The German on the back translates to "Winter Battle in the East 1941/42" While not what I was hoping for, it is certainly among my most unusual finds. Not sure how it ended up in my town, though I have a few guesses and will talk with the owner about it. Perhaps they have a Veteran in the family that lost this "souvenir." By the way, I want to preserve it with ren wax. Does the medal have to be completely clean to use that or can it go over a dusty object? I am a little afraid to clean this any more, especially with water. Any links to an instructional video on ren wax?

us
    Metal Detecting & Hotwheels Collecting

Sep 2014
    Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
    Nox 600, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, 2x Bounty Hunter loaners, Deteknix
    4694 times
    Awesome save, congrats & GL on the preservation
    lenmac65 and Hawks88 like this.
    Any day of hunting, whether good or bad is better than not hunting at all

Aug 2019
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KATY213 View Post
    It is a WW2 military decoration given to both German and Axis personnel audacity temp mail origin that served on the German Eastern Front (Russia) in the winter campaign of 1941/1942. Armed service personnel qualified for the medal after a minimum of 14 days in active combat; 30 combat sorties for Luftwaffe members; 60 days of continuous service in a combat zone; being wounded or suffering a frozen limb severe enough to warrant the issue of a Wound Badge. The German on the back translates to "Winter Battle in the East 1941/42" While not what I was hoping for, it is certainly among my most unusual finds. Not sure how it ended up in my town, though I have a few guesses and will talk with the owner about it. Perhaps they have a Veteran in the family that lost this "souvenir." By the way, I want to preserve it with ren wax. Does the medal have to be completely clean to use that or can it go over a dusty object? I am a little afraid to clean this any more, especially with water. Any links to an instructional video on ren wax?
    It is a WW2 military decoration given to both German and Axis personnel that served on the German Eastern Front (Russia) in the winter campaign of 1941/1942. Armed service personnel qualified for the medal after a minimum of 14 days in active combat; 30 combat sorties for Luftwaffe members; 60 days of continuous service in a combat zone; being wounded or suffering a frozen limb severe enough to warrant the issue of a Wound Badge. The German on the back translates to "Winter Battle in the East 1941/42" While not what I was hoping for, it is certainly among my most unusual finds. Not sure how it ended up in my town, though I have a few guesses and will talk with the owner about it. Perhaps they have a Veteran in the family that lost this "souvenir." By the way, I want to preserve it with ren wax. Does the medal have to be completely clean to use that or can it go over a dusty object? I am a little afraid to clean this any more, especially with water. Any links to an instructional video on ren wax?

us
    Feb 2016
    central Texas
    ATPro, Garrett carrot, Nox 800
    443 times
    Gee, I knew the OstFront was pretty long, but Massachusetts? Who knew...

a great book to read on the closing of the Eastern Front is To The Bitter End by Rolf Hinze.
    It mentions your award being given to Hitler Youth around the Berlin perimeter, IIRC.

Great find!
    Last edited by peruna; Aug 15, 2019 at 12:44 PM.
    Inspector and lenmac65 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links