JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hello everyone,

Not much hunting going on here this time of year way to hot.

But sneaking out here and there and fighting the heat just to curb the itch.

Yesterday was one of those days. Went fishing in the am and almost went home but the wife had the itch to do some swinging.

Nice guy that I am I said okay lets get lunch and shoot over to a park I've been working for the past 17 years.

I had went out the day prior and recovered 19 old coins in about 3.5 hours so I got my fix. I said you hunt and I'll dig for you for awhile.

It started off slow but she finally recovered a Chinese cash coin about a half hour into the hunt her first one.

I said let's crest this hill and make it up to this flat bluff and work it slow. We get to the top dig a few pull tabs and screw caps.

She then spots a wrist band Timex on the surface newer watch but still pretty decent find.

A few minutes later it happened the CTX gave off a scratchy signal as the coil just catches the clip of the watch. I said hold on a minute no way.

I bend down dust a few leaves and knew right away we had something nice. I snapped a photo thinking pocket watch case sterling.

I pick it up and go no way. It was fully intact glass guts and the chain and clip I couldn't believe it. I've found a lot of pocket watches frames cases guts chains clips etc but never one dropped fully intact and still appeared to be working when lost.

I said to her this is a great find. I spent a few hours cleaning it last night. Sorry I didn't snap any photos of the inside. It was made by the Illinois watch co.

Not much to see on the inside. The hands were rusted and broke off and the numbers started to fade away from the face once the water hit it. There were ants inside it etc.

She has an account but asked if I'd post it for her. Looking forward to the weather cooling down so I can get out and start swinging some more.

Just thought I'd share this nice find.

Thanks for looking

Jeremy

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 157
  • watch 1.jpg
    watch 1.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 88
  • watch 2.jpg
    watch 2.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 34

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Reminds me of one that I found a number of years ago (picture is from then too... sorry :laughing7:)

Attachments

• 2012-03-24_19-02-06_288.jpg
    2012-03-24_19-02-06_288.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 78

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's beautiful man...

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JerV3, great hunt and a very nice find, congratulations to your wife. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Would be nice to see if some modern works could be implanted in the case..........

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can’t imagine the thrill, when she uncovered that beauty. I’m excited just looking at it! Congratulations to your wife.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a beauty!! I’d definitely see if you could have modern guts put in there

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's definitely a cool pocket watch. I'd love to dig one as nice. Congrats!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful watch recovery! :occasion14:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The elk on your watch is from a Victorian English painting by Sir Edwin Landseer called "Monarch of the Glen". I've seen it on everything from dishes to ashtrays. Very popular in the day. Gary

monarch.jpg

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to your wife on one of the best Pocket Watch finds that I have ever seen. That thing is a beauty !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread