mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok - this is an extremely rare find and will be donated to a museum...but not before I share with my fellow T-Netters!

So I was poking around the bluff in my backyard, testing my new coil, when I heard a faint, high-tone signal. I used my shoe to scrape away the top layer of sand and re-scanned (small copper? Coin maybe?). The last piece that I found was a copper-culture bracelet and i put the shovel blade smack dab into it so I carefully extracted this one. What I believe I unearthed is a copper 'nose ring' that would have been worn by early native Americans. The dry, sandy soil has been very kind to this piece. If anyone had any additional info, as to the estimated age, please share. Enjoy! 20190811_142006.jpg 20190811_142032.jpg

Upvote 15
OP
OP
M

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum...per-nose-rings-ear-spools-personal-adornments

PERSONAL ORNAMENTS

In ancient (as well as recent) times, personal ornaments were a popular item. Beads, earrings bracelets, rings and pendants are well represented copper items found throughout the prehistoric Mid-West (Figures 1-11). Exotic headdresses (Fig 11), ear spools ( Fig 10) and masks were occasionally worn in some cultures (e.g. Hopewell) but this was for relatively rare ceremonial use. There is one type of jewelry, seldom seen, that has not been mentioned before. Nose ornaments, if correctly identified, are extremely rare in Old Copper Culture. This type of ornament consists of

1. Nose rings: rings of metal inserted in the alar (side) cartilage of the nose or nasal septum—the fleshy area separating the nostrils (Figures 1-4,5-7).
2.Straight barbs: thin bars or rods of metal piercing the nasal septum and extending beyond the alar cartilage on either side of the nose (Figures 2, 8).
3.Nasal pendants: flattened metal pieces suspended from the nasal septum (Figures 6,7,11).

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a cool find right there. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread