General Washington shoe buckle - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: General Washington shoe buckle

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2019
    91 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    Yeap, I hope no-one is suggesting it was his, that's too far fetched.
    Made for the commercial market like the cuff-links for people who supported him or his ideology (like you say a tribute to the man & his achievements).

It's a very cool piece, & might be the only known survivor at the moment, but doesn't mean another won't turn up some day.

CONGRATS to the OP!.
    Actually....when you start doing the research its not as far fetched as it seems... The area the buckle was found was inhabited bya number of early American politics... The Meriwether Lewis family... The Johnson Family (vice pres Richard Johnson) LaFayette was here.... The Taylors where here.... GWs personal powder flask was willed to a Lewis descendant that was less than 15 miles from the spot. The Washingtons where god parents to the Lewis children. All the families intermarried...
    We know that Pattison was a tinsmith from Berlin Conn.
    Which was frequented by Washington regularly. He was also commisioned to produce articles for Washingtons military... It may not have been a piece that belonged to GW himself...... then again.. it very well could have
    Toecutter, Hawks88 and sandchip like this.

us
    Jun 2016
    New Hampshire
    AT-Pro
    223 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wAdJV_400.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	1742999

Aug 2019
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey9457 View Post

Name:	wAdJV_400.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	1742999
    It is in a Museum... Dug Life Metal Detecting Museum of colonial finds in Georgetown Kentucky

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Garrett ATpro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    2019 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug Life Metal Detecting View Post
    It is in a Museum... Dug Life Metal Detecting Museum of colonial finds in Georgetown Kentucky
    sweet when can we stop by
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    Jan 2013
    SouthwestVirginia
    828 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Like I said on the other post, this, in my opinion, is the best single thing dug and posted on the forums I've seen this year. Even broken, it's an amazing piece. I would dig every single signal in that area. With it being broke, it's probably from plow damage and the other piece is still there. That is unless the site has been searched by previous relic hunters, but I would still dig all I possibly could.
    Last edited by Worm-Slicer; Aug 14, 2019 at 07:37 AM.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    10306 times
    Interesting find for sure. Nice save. Congrats
    Trezurehunter likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
    1318 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That is an epic find - congratulations!
    Hawks88 likes this.
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

Descended from Patriots & Rabble-Rousers.

Actually....when you start doing the research its not as far fetched as it seems... The area the buckle was found was inhabited bya number of early American politics... The Meriwether Lewis family... The Johnson Family (vice pres Richard Johnson) LaFayette was here.... The Taylors where here.... GWs personal powder flask was willed to a Lewis descendant that was less than 15 miles from the spot. The Washingtons where god parents to the Lewis children. All the families intermarried...
    Which was frequented by Washington regularly. He was also commisioned to produce articles for Washingtons military... It may not have been a piece that belonged to GW himself...... then again.. it very well could have
    Doesn't prove anything other than many more candidates. But, anyone can believe anything, that's fine.
    Keep looking for the other pieces.
    DigToChina likes this.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    Why is knowledge power, when life is passing on sh*t... 03/03/19
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

Aug 2019
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    Doesn't prove anything other than many more candidates. But, anyone can believe anything, that's fine.
    Keep looking for the other pieces.
    I never said it did prove any thing...... I said it could be a possibility. I have an idea....prove it wasnt.

us
    Mar 2009
    United States
    CTX 3030, TDI SL
    1818 times
    Both pics are of the same buckle.....and I truly hope your not trying to discredit my find......
    Im sure the post had 0 intentions of discrediting your find. You posted two pics of what look like two buckles because they were different in each pic. After looking it appears the second pic contains a second fragment. I too first thought it was two different buckles. Don’t be so quick to jump on people.

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    3732 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Below is a photo of a set of shoe buckles actually worn by George Washington that reside in the Mount Vernon collection:

Name:	CT-7350-1 W-458 A&B.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	849.7 KB 
ID:	1743022

These buckles are silver frames with copper accents. Below is another set of shoe buckles that were auctioned off some years ago. Their provenance was confirmed and they were probably worn around the time of his inauguration.

Name:	GW Shoe Buckle.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	1743023

Note the extensive use of cut paste stones and the frames are silver with gold gilting.

While George Washington was not a flashy individual, he was still a member of the upper class and would have conformed to the standard dress of the time. Shoe buckles of the upper class were quite flashy and their construction would reflect the wealth of the owner. I would actually argue that, compared to other period examples in the Victoria and Albert museum, George Washington's above buckles are fairly modest for his station. But when compared to the dug specimen, you can see the difference in terms of materials and quality. The dug specimen is base metal (brass) with no silver washing and the floral motif is relatively simple which strongly suggest a buckle worn by the working class for occasions. That does not diminish the significance of your find though. Through research I did find one other example of a shoe buckle that depicted George Washington:

Name:	GW Inaugural Buckle.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	1743024

This piece is brass with silver wash and was auctioned off by Heritage Auctions a few years back. Based on the style of the eagle they surmise that it was made around 1792 and they highlight how infrequently they see buckles like this. It's clear that shoe buckles glorifying George Washington were manufactured and worn by ordinary citizens of the US, just at a very small scale compared to buttons and cufflinks making them rare pieces.
    Last edited by paleomaxx; Aug 14, 2019 at 10:14 AM.

us
    Sep 2013
    Sutter Creek, Ca.
    Whites 6000di pro plus Whites id beach hunter Got rid of the Minelab pointer, Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer. Minelab Xterra 705 Ibuprofen
    159 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentium View Post
    If indeed this is a shoe buckle , there should be another one out there !
    I agree. Go find the other one or something to sport your find from the same farm.

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Garrett AT Gold, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    7504 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    We also know that Washington never set foot in Kentucky.....
    Spanish Silver Totals
    Cut Pieces = 19
    Half Reals = 30
    1 Reals = 11
    2 Reales = 6
    8 Reales = 1
    2 Reale Cobs = 2
    Other Early Silver Coins
    1797 & 1803 Draped Bust Dimes
    1830 Capped Bust 5 cents
    1827 Capped Bust dime
    1661 Hammered silver King Leopold
    1697 William III 6-pence
    Rev War Buttons
    3rd Battalion PA, Hartley's Regiment, USA, (4) 18th Royal Irish, (2) Rattlesnake & Stars
    Civil War Plates
    VA Militia Cross Belt, CS Tongue, CS Wreath, VMM, US Box, Model 1851 Sword, Militia Plate w/Star

Nov 2007
    Largo, Florida
    Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
    852 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Three words, Whoa!
    Last edited by curbdiggercarl57; Aug 14, 2019 at 11:25 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links