General Washington shoe buckle

Aug 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told to post this here so it would get more looks.... received_364396790918148.jpeg
IMG_20190805_194703_918.jpg

Upvote 41

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this on Don Troiani's Rev War Facebook Group. That is quite a find, and appears to be the only one known. i doubt anyone here can add anything to what you have already been told. What type of site was it found on and in what state?

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't imagine finding something like that. A shoe buckle that says General Washington? Oh the possibilities. You'd think it would be even nore rare then a GW button. Maybe even a banner find.

OP
OP
Dug Life Metal Detecting
Aug 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This buckle was found on a farm in central Ky that has ties to the Lewis, Johnson, Taylor, Grover, LaFayette, Viley and Ward families... Its a literal whos who of early American politics.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That is a great looking buckle. Love the patina on it.

Sorry I can't shed any light on it. But I would guess it's a pretty significant artifact and very rare.

Thanks for sharing.

Jer

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting find unfortunately it's one of those finds that your not going to get anywhere with.. Could be connected or a rare novelty item:BangHead:

Killer find!

~Blaze~

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find ! The cruel irony of finding " the only one known" -- is that knowledge drives collector interest , which creates buzz , which helps drive value (perception of value more like ). Perhaps the piece is a nostalgia piece as previously suggested - created after his death .Nice mystery relic !

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
It very well could be a hat buckle also.. They were very similar to shoe buckles and knee buckles. I have never seen writing on a shoe buckle but a hat buckle would seem more likely.. is one on Jefferson's hat.

~Blaze~

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This buckle was found on a farm in central Ky that has ties to the Lewis, Johnson, Taylor, Grover, LaFayette, Viley and Ward families... Its a literal whos who of early American politics.

And, if so, could be a relic of GREAT Historical Importance...!
Super Find..., eh?!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your pictures show two broken buckles. Were they found in the same place? I highly encourage you to provide some details on the hunt to provide some credibility and provenance to the finds.

aj

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an interesting piece. The date range it was made could be 20 years or so, that is, late 1780's to mid 90's. It was probably a prototype that went nowhere commercially at the time, because if it took off, there would have been many more found, or maybe an artist piece. I doubt you'll ever be able to definitively nail it down, however. Kentucky newspapers of the day are slim pickins' and I have never heard where Washington commissioned a buckle.

It is really neat!

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It very well could be a hat buckle also.. They were very similar to shoe buckles and knee buckles. I have never seen writing on a shoe buckle but a hat buckle would seem more likely.. is one on Jefferson's hat.

~Blaze~

Definitely a shoe buckle Blaze. I have seen the backside on Facebook.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions