I'm stumped! ID help

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this the other day my local freshwater river here in Maine and threw it in my finds pouch and didn't go through that stuff until now (I usually sort things in the field by eye and keep the "important" things separated). At first glance I thought it was lead anchor to put into masonry or stone. After cleaning it up I saw the head bust design and have no idea what it would be used for. Probably just some kind of decoration, but who knows. Looking down into the piece I though maybe something to do with a candle holder or something. The material that's inside isn't wax though (some kind of chalky material) and the size is way too small for a candle. Anyway, it looks like pewter and rings up at 18 on my Equinox 800, Park 2 setting. Any ideas? Thanks! 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 007.jpg 010.jpg

Upvote 17

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a smoking pipe?

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carved bullet?

Fascinating find...nicely done!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was a decorative pipe bowl and a real beauty. But I’m no expert. It’s a beautiful piece and I’d be psyched to dig it. What part of Maine are you in?

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find. Congrats. I have no idea what it is or what it was used for.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was a decorative pipe bowl and a real beauty. But I’m no expert. It’s a beautiful piece and I’d be psyched to dig it. What part of Maine are you in?
I'm in Calais but found this a little further north. Still trying to figure this area out, alot of history all around this state for a lot of different reasons. I find things but can't really put together "story". I'm certainly not complaining though. I've never really been skunked anywhere I've gone from Portland to Ft. Kent.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a smoking pipe?

I never thought "pipe".., maybe. The chalky stuff down in the hollow part is confusing. Not sure what that is. Doesn't look as if it's something that would be smoked. Then again, things get funky after years in the water. Thanks!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've actually got a very similar smoking pipe bowl to that one.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what it is but it looks like conclusive evidence that the Phoenicians or Ancient Greeks were here before the Vikings.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what it is but it looks like conclusive evidence that the Phoenicians or Ancient Greeks were here before the Vikings.
. I guess it could have dropper off a truck from the Phoenician pewter works factory up the road from me. They're highly regarded for their pewter pipe and cable stick holders. Even though they produce beautiful pieces I've heard they still can't get the sizing right. Yes, let's go with that! I love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread