Confuseland

Aug 19, 2019
Western PA
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
So we began finding hundreds of these round smooth white rocks. They were in the dirt that was removed from the digging of our new houses foundation. Some are odd shaped like a marshmallow and are all different sizes. Some the size of a billiard ball some the size of a penny. I live in western pa area and our property was virgin ground before we started digging. If anyone can tell me what they are. Internet search hasn’t been helpful as the possibilities range from milling balls to Native American marbles? I can clean them up and post a new pic if need be. Thank you!

Attachments

• A51C328C-E273-4B1F-8DDC-D1420E85B6DD.jpeg
    A51C328C-E273-4B1F-8DDC-D1420E85B6DD.jpeg
    981.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Upvote 9

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566221499.776238.jpg

Funny. I found a “nest” of these last year in park woods west of Pittsburgh. Best ID I got was some kind of mill balls. I cracked one in half and it was like pure ceramic all the way through.

OP
OP
C

Confuseland

Aug 19, 2019
Western PA
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s what I was thinking: when we were researching our property we found it used to be owned by Mathis(sp) Mining Company. So maybe they dumped them there at one point. So maybe t had something to do with that. I though mill balls were all supposed to be the same size but maybe not. Thanks for your reply! Glad I’m not the only one who has found these in the PGH area.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s what I was thinking: when we were researching our property we found it used to be owned by Mathis(sp) Mining Company. So maybe they dumped them there at one point. So maybe t had something to do with that. I though mill balls were all supposed to be the same size but maybe not. Thanks for your reply! Glad I’m not the only one who has found these in the PGH area.

Or possibly they were brought home for any children to use as marbles.
Cool find!
Carl

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Michigan also Tommy

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do know that hopper boxes from diamond mines contain ceramic plates, maybe this is an early idea for tumbling a material?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread