Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO I came across about a 12 pound crayon basket of collector spoons this weekend. Tossed them in the back seat and had not had the chance to lay them out till tonight. Bought the whole plastic basket shown for $15 at the yard sale. The quick glance and paid asking and got on the move quickly. I saw at least a few silvers and that was good enough for me. I haven't counted them all yet but way over 100 spoons from everywhere you can think of. I have found 8 sterling so far. But it gets better! Hidden in the bottom of the basket? IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0162.JPG IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0165.JPG
Was a very unique old cork screw made from a piece of horn! But wait, it gets better! IMG_0183.JPG I came across A set of Bars and a set of military uniform buttons. Not sure which era but super cool! Maybe someone here knows? But wait, it gets better! IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0181.JPG What else could be better? How about 2 franklins and a very nice 2 center? Still not the best it coming. IMG_0175.JPG IMG_0176.JPG IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0179.JPG How about a white gold elgin watch? Gooooold I love Gooooooold! IMG_0184.JPG IMG_0185.JPG IMG_0186.JPG
Ok I have ventilated some. I wonder what the 1911 one dollars coin is? anyone know? I have never seen one.
Back to your regular programing

Upvote 48

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dollar coin is a 1911 British silver trade dollar, Bombay mint by the look of it (small B mintmark on the centre prong of the trident). Well done on the finds.

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow congrats on the nice finds. :occasion14:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Super Find!!! Congrats!!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just crazy !! What a score !! Great work congrats !!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some people have all the luck :thumbsup: WTG!!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! If a yard sale find is ever banner-worthy, this would be one!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boom baby thats how its done. great job banner

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I'm sure sure detector was sounding off major find, even if it was turned off. Keep up good work.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin you can’t identify is a British Trade dollar. Just like our trade dollar we (the USA ) made for China.

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the thumbs up and for the fast ID on the trade Dollar t has to be worth something as well. Not doubt I made back my $15 on the first handful of spoons I pulled out of the box. There are very ornate spoons from the early 50's to the early 80's including a full set of christmas spoons, good ol USA state spoons, Apollo shot spoons bicentennials and spoons from as far as Fiji, New Zealand, Curacas turkey China Japan all over asia, europe South america Some countries that no longer exist. If this person really visited all of these places I would say that they were either career Military or that ia all they did was travel. I started unboxing this at my desk at work and there was not enough room on it so everything went back in the box to home. There was also a Dog Tag and a broken bracelet from a Navy man named Web something. Maybe this is his travel collection? When I get to work I will add those photos These items failed to make it back into the box. Sorry but thinking out loud. I have visions of an old lady with a spoon rack because of the gold ladies watch but maybe this guy collected spoons? Interesting. Does anyone know the branch and era of the bars and buttons?

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the more unusual silver spoons. No country on it but has Egyptian looking symbols and a mounted faceted stone looking to be garnet or the like.

IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0172.JPG

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the thumbs up and for the fast ID on the trade Dollar t has to be worth something as well. Not doubt I made back my $15 on the first handful of spoons I pulled out of the box. There are very ornate spoons from the early 50's to the early 80's including a full set of christmas spoons, good ol USA state spoons, Apollo shot spoons bicentennials and spoons from as far as Fiji, New Zealand, Curacas turkey China Japan all over asia, europe South america Some countries that no longer exist. If this person really visited all of these places I would say that they were either career Military or that ia all they did was travel. I started unboxing this at my desk at work and there was not enough room on it so everything went back in the box to home. There was also a Dog Tag and a broken bracelet from a Navy man named Web something. Maybe this is his travel collection? When I get to work I will add those photos These items failed to make it back into the box. Sorry but thinking out loud. I have visions of an old lady with a spoon rack because of the gold ladies watch but maybe this guy collected spoons? Interesting. Does anyone know the branch and era of the bars and buttons?
You have an instant spoon collection. Do you plan to display it or liquidate it?

dougolf2

Apr 27, 2019
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The military ribbons are:
Top row (L to R) - Coast Guard Combat Action Ribbon, National Defense Service Ribbon, Iraqi Campaign
Bottom Row (L to R) - Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary, Global War On Terrorism Service, Navy Sea Service Deployment with 2 stars.

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The military ribbons are:
Top row (L to R) - Coast Guard Combat Action Ribbon, National Defense Service Ribbon, Iraqi Campaign
Bottom Row (L to R) - Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary, Global War On Terrorism Service, Navy Sea Service Deployment with 2 stars.
SO this is modern. I wonder if it is a son or grandson?
Here is what what in the box at the bottom that I left at my office. obviously WW2
IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0190.JPG IMG_0191.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread