Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For u folks still following my hunts in Castine and read them since I came back on TNet to feature a gold soldier's lost gold coin found there in May of this year . Thank u very much for your comments. This is my 23rd year hunting this site and got to say for some reason, she, Castine has been very kind to me to share this history with us all.
If u are not familiar with this battle/siege in Castine, Maine in July and August of 1779 please google "Penobscot Expedition" to get up to speed or check out my previous posts of which there r many since she, again Castine has given up some great history.
Anyway this has been, no pun intended, a banner year for me with this year alone ,with decent weather compared to previous years , some nice rare ordnance found plus the Shock & Awe moment I had in May finding my first gold colonial coin. One would think after 32 hunts there, stating early in April with finding first day another French Flur DE Leis 6 pounder ,what could be left to find? However being a site of hundreds of acres in heavily wooded areas it has been a challenge to find this history and indeed not a walk in the park .Got my share of my own "Battle Wounds" so to say with falling over logs, scratches bumps and bruses and even chased thru the woods by angry bees. My relic hunting friends it was all worth it? Yup I have been now for 23 years up for the task of finding this history, written 6 articles for Western Eastern Treasures and given 3 presentations about this battle/ siege. Been a god a of my life being a student of this battle/ siege that as in the end a humiliating defat mainly forgotten in history.
So that being written I need to get on with yesterday's hunt. Earlier this year I was on a mission to find a cannon ball from the American's , British and even the French where the Brits had captured a French ship called the Saint Helena and brought her 14-6 pound cannons into action . 15 years earlier I found my first 6 with a Flur DE leis marking. In April dug my 2nd . In June pulled out a beautiful 6 pounder Brit 6. Later that month a American 1 pounder imbedded in shale in a cliff. So made my mission objective but would have liked to find an American 6. Yesterday I was re hunting the area the Brit ball was found in on a short 3 hour hunt. First two hours narda and looked like might get skunked till up came an American grape shot. Number 72 this year. Things were looking up and then got a mixed reading on my Deus that sounded like a mortar frag. However up came a large horseshoe. Thinking hey maybe a good sign of good luck put it on a branch of a tree and moved on. 15 minutes later , not far from the horse shoe, got a nice large solid signal that looked promising. Not wearing my cheaters to see the reading on my Deus so put them on. A nice 42 to tell me it may indeed be a cannon ball. In previous hunts one pounders read 35 . Dug down about a foot and uncovered the familiar roundness of a cannon ball. Got it out and was a American 6 pounder. If u have ever found a REv WAr cannon ball or collect them notice American's are very crude with crude seam lines and spres. This indeed was an American example. Ended up a great day with 3- 6 pounders of 3 counties . Here r pics. THanks for reading .Am I back on the hunt today. U betcha soon as I post this. Thanks as always. BTW Did go back and get that horse shoe Gary
Just uploaded some new pics from this hunt and the American ball. To me there is nothing more beautiful than seeing the roundnesss of a cannon ball sitting in a hole that had laid there for now 240 years. The two cannons by the way are American and from part of the fleet that were burned in Bangor harbor in Bangor, Maine by their own captions . They were found when dredging the river when building the new bridge in 1953. A pair of 6 pounders.

Attachments

• DSCN3954.JPG
    DSCN3954.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN3952.JPG
    DSCN3952.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN3950.JPG
    DSCN3950.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN3960.JPG
    DSCN3960.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN3859.JPG
    DSCN3859.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN3858.JPG
    DSCN3858.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN3837.JPG
    DSCN3837.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN3834.JPG
    DSCN3834.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN3969.JPG
    DSCN3969.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN3967.JPG
    DSCN3967.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN3973.JPG
    DSCN3973.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Upvote 30

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that history of Castine and your finds.

Have Maine in my blood and schooling.
Had family in the Deere Isle area in the 1790's. Unfortunately never detected the old 6 acre homestead, as my uncle wasn't up to making the necessary repairs and had to sell in the 1980's. My mother told stories of walking with her grandfather as a child and they would hide coins under a rock. She never could remember where they walked to, just placing the coin(s).

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is nice to see some good old colonial American iron dug. Thanks for sharing your finds with us!

Steve

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a pretty special spot you have there Castineman! Its amazing to me that after all these years ( and I'm guessing thousands of hours detecting) you are still finding relics. I guess its true...no area is truly ever hunted out. Congrats!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a pretty special spot you have there Castineman! Its amazing to me that after all these years ( and I'm guessing thousands of hours detecting) you are still finding relics. I guess its true...no area is truly ever hunted out. Congrats!

Thanks and Yes indeed with thousands of acres to hunt it and thousands of hours hunting there it will never be hunted out. The quest continues in the Fall. . Gary

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent job, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks POF and all u folks out there that enjoy this great hobby. I think no other hobby one can do to get great exercise, be at one with nature and often at the end of the day swinging a coil find relics, coins, gold or whatever u r looking for. This year for me being a banner one with now 33 hunts since April. First year the weather here in Maine favorable even in the hot months of June, July and August. Did only a 3 hour hunt yesterday and being hot knew my limitations in the heat. Found one grape shot so not skunked and called it a day until this Fall. Hey if u find an old horse shoe it may indeed give u good luck on your hunt. That is if u believe in such things. I got mine , even though probably 100 years old sitting, on my 6 pounder. WE all can use some if that. Be careful out there. Again thanks all for following the history that is the Penobscot Expedition. Gary

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on recovering history and keeping us informed!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty amazing. I'd donate a digit to find a rev war cannon ball! Thanks for the great true tales of detecting and sharing your story!!!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks . I have indeed been fortunate to have worked thus site so long and still she, Castine has been more than nice to me giving up the history of thus battle. Hope to get in two more seasons in to make it 25 and then put my adventures and this battle in a book form . Have had the cover now for about 4 years and just need to fill it in. Gary

Attachments

• 800px-PenobscotExpeditionBySerres.jpg
    800px-PenobscotExpeditionBySerres.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 45
  • penobsot buckle.png
    penobsot buckle.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Scan0021.jpg
    Scan0021.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 52

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is clearly a labor of love......a love affair if you will, when we find that one special site that motivates us to write a book about it,us, and our finds that connect the three. I feel ya:thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is clearly a labor of love......a love affair if you will, when we find that one special site that motivates us to write a book about it,us, and our finds that connect the three. I feel ya:thumbsup:

Right back at u villagenut and u hit the Revolutionary War hut nail on the head it being a labor of love. After 23 years being on this historic ground and many American's lost their lives on I feel like was actually there hearing the roar of the cannon, smelling the black powder and carrying a musket not metal detector for the cause of Liberty. It is a special place I belong and this story needs to be told . That I will continue to do. Thanks always for your comments all. Gary

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks . I have indeed been fortunate to have worked thus site so long and still she, Castine has been more than nice to me giving up the history of thus battle. Hope to get in two more seasons in to make it 25 and then put my adventures and this battle in a book form . Have had the cover now for about 4 years and just need to fill it in. Gary

Hi Gary,
That cover is very nice! My sincere hope for the book is that your editor manages to keep the passion alive as you have shown us in your posts. My experience is with scientific papers - where emotion and passion is a strict no-no. It is such a relief to read your posts precisely because you can't hide that passion. You show it proudly - as you should! I hope your editor has a light touch and appreciates & preserves this passion just as you are preserving these artifacts.

Best, Rick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread