10 Years Ago Found My First Barber. Today I found its Match!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks!

10 years ago last month I found my first Barber coin while detecting (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/134435-went-dentist-found-barber.html). Funny enough, it took me until last year to find my second (to be fair I had a pretty long lay-off in there).

My brother and I hit some new land today and I was hoping it was old enough to be Barber (and if we had DParsons05’s luck maybe even old enough to be Seated) territory.

On our drive there I told my brother that I hadn’t seen a Barber Quarter un-earthed in a while. That ended up foreshadowing good things to come.

We got rolling and my first good hit was the old Japanese Coin. After Googling around I believe it is a 1938 Emperor Hirohito Japanese One Sen. Maybe a WWII relic? A unique find for me. Shortly after I’m getting a surface high tone. Out pops this very cool 5c trade token to “Pastime” in Bremerton. I don’t find trade tokens often so I was jazzed, my day was already made. Just after finding that my brother got a deep high tone and found another of the tokens. Crazy!

I chatted with a friendly neighbor and got permission to do a little grass in front of his place “as long as I was gone before 1 pm because I’m throwing a party today.” Aye aye sir! Glad I asked. I didn’t find a ton there but I did nab the find of the day, a 1909-D Barber Quarter! It’s a pretty good looker and an exact date match to my first Barber from Summer 2009.

It was made even better by the fact I wasn’t expecting it. It was a solid 12-47 down around 4 inches which is how a silver quarter should sound, but I’ve been fooled by several deep copper pennies with similar readings recently.

I didn’t find much of interest after that but felt good about calling it a day a while later.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566690848.271077.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566690860.752358.jpg

I also found a couple toys that have seen the worse end of a lawnmower. A Tootsie toy car and a big marble.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566690906.624088.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566690915.654971.jpg

All in all, a great day to be out there and even more fun to share it with my brother.

Until next time my friends!
-W

Upvote 34

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a fine day! Congrats..

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man washingtonian that my bucket lister!! I got the rest I just can’t get that quarter. She is beautiful [emoji3590]
Congratulations

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Man washingtonian that my bucket lister!! I got the rest I just can’t get that quarter. She is beautiful [emoji3590]
Congratulations

Book your flight up here man, I’ll put you on some good spots. All I want is for you to show me where to find a Capped Bust Half Dime in return! [emoji23]

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, love that Barber! Boy is that in great shape! Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boom baby there it is and she is sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any silver quarter is a great find, make it a Barber and it's a party! It's weird, but I have almost as many Barber quarters as I do Washingtons...my white whale is the Seated, old Lady Liberty has been very good at eluding me. Great save Washingtonian, it's a looker. Ddf.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Any silver quarter is a great find, make it a Barber and it's a party! It's weird, but I have almost as many Barber quarters as I do Washingtons...my white whale is the Seated, old Lady Liberty has been very good at eluding me. Great save Washingtonian, it's a looker. Ddf.

Thanks DDF! I’ve yet to find a Seated anything. Still keeping my hopes up and keeping after it. Good luck in your quest!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really interesting coincidence or fate for that coin to be found by you!!! Wonderful condition! Nice find!!!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
beautiful coin, awesome sight for you to see I'm sure, would be for me. Congrats on the Barber and what a Barber it is

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty of a Barber Quarter!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet finds, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread