🥇 BANNER Copper spearhead??

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found on a river bank in NE Massachusetts, southern newhampshire View attachment 1746942 possibly a trade spear head ? Anyone have an idea chime in thanks!!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566934421.259176.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566934447.324450.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566934473.760342.jpg

Upvote 35

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man! I hope so and not THIS!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked that show. Anyway, it sure looks like a copper culture spear head.

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an expert on copper culture, but I always assumed it was Great Lakes region. Could be trade. I would definitely bring that to someone who could Id it. University, museum. It’s really cool. When I first saw the size I was thinking some type of harpoon

Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Very interesting. How about a side view? It just looks a bit thin from the angles shown. But that's not to say it can't be either a trade piece or a copper culture piece. I have found both types here in MA. I think some more pics will help.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No expert but I would guess more likely copper culture native American made than trade. My friend found a copper axe head / celt in the New England area that was determined to be 3,000 or so years old. While it wasn't super common they did have them around here in Massachusetts. I mean it could be modern trash hopefully not though. If you take it to an archeologist sometimes they have a device that is kind of like an x-ray that they can beam onto it that calculates the age of the metal. Potentially a really cool find!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its modern the hole on the edge is oval shaped like made by a machine... we need more pics... I am no expert..

Last edited:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From the condition of it looks more like a Copper culture spear head, but I'm no expert. I have found a harpoon head in Quebec so they did trade them between the different people occupying the surrounding regions. This site is great to ID them https://copperculture.homestead.com/

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting find! :occasion14:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, that's a great piece! Almost certainly not modern (or historic era), the oval hole doesn't bother me and while not typical of Copper Culture (OCC/Old Copper Complex) pieces which tend to be socketed it could just be a younger ancient point of an unusual style. As I understand, the copper trading networks weren't as wide during the OCC era so considering its location and style maybe it's closer to 2-3,000 years old versus 5-8,000 years old?

Regarding the oval perforation, it appears as though there was another matching hole on the other side, with the copper between it and the edge of the blade now lost. You'd have to pick the brains of those with expertise, but I own some early/middle Bronze Age arrowheads from the Mediterranean region with perforations through which sinews would be inserted and wrapped around the split end of the arrow shaft to secure it tightly. I believe that your spearhead may have been attached in the same manner; with the split end of the spear shaft bound to the point with sinews threaded through the holes and wrapped around the wood.

Here's a pic of a relevant perforated European bronze arrowhead and drawing of mounting method:
perfarrow.jpg arrow27.jpg

OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, that's a great piece! Almost certainly not modern (or historic era), the oval hole doesn't bother me and while not typical of Copper Culture (OCC/Old Copper Complex) pieces which tend to be socketed it could just be a younger ancient point of an unusual style. As I understand, the copper trading networks weren't as wide during the OCC era so considering its location and style maybe it's closer to 2-3,000 years old versus 5-8,000 years old?

Regarding the oval perforation, it appears as though there was another matching hole on the other side, with the copper between it and the edge of the blade now lost. You'd have to pick the brains of those with expertise, but I own some early/middle Bronze Age arrowheads from the Mediterranean region with perforations through which sinews would be inserted and wrapped around the split end of the arrow shaft to secure it tightly. I believe that your spearhead may have been attached in the same manner; with the split end of the spear shaft bound to the point with sinews threaded through the holes and wrapped around the wood.

Here's a pic of a relevant perforated European bronze arrowhead and drawing of mounting method:
View attachment 1747463 View attachment 1747464

Thank you for the information!!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, but as others have asked could you post some more pictures? It doesn't look too thin to me but it's hard to tell so a side-view would be very helpful. Do you have a scale, and if so what does it weigh? The degree to which it has been attacked by chemicals in its environment suggests a great age but maybe it was just in a particularly corrosive location? A thin piece made from uniform sheet would suggest a young age but it looks like it has a narrow diamond cross-section which would be good news. And not that you're asking but assuming it's an ancient native-copper piece I'd bet on a value of 150+. It's a great find, my favorite type of metal-detected treasure to be found in North America.

OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1567694645.549299.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1567694664.183198.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1567694678.632648.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1567694691.183367.jpg so I brought it to a local historian who’s friend is an amateur Native American historian and the guy called me to advise me not to allow any expert or museum to take it out of my site because the spearhead one of only two ever found in the Merrimac valley region !! He said if it is real it’s newsworthy.

OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found in a coniferous Forrest on a river bank. Between the highest hill in my county where the natives would hold powwows and on the other side of the river is another large hill which was there burial site

Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Well Tanz, I was thinking it wasn't copper culture originally, but the side view has changed my opinion. I think you might have a good one there.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update and extra pictures, definitely looks like a copper culture blade to me! Did the historian acquaintance say anything about the mounting method? Looks like it had double oval holes to me but holding in hand is always best. Chances aren't great that far east but where you found one you may find others, hopefully you can find more ancient copper rarities!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread