[BANNER] Copper spearhead??
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Copper spearhead??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    N.mass- S.nh
    1217 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Copper spearhead??

Found on a river bank in NE Massachusetts, southern newhampshire Attachment 1746942 possibly a trade spear head ? Anyone have an idea chime in thanks!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566934421.259176.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	790.1 KB 
ID:	1746943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566934447.324450.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	886.1 KB 
ID:	1746944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566934473.760342.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	867.6 KB 
ID:	1746945
    where ever you go their you'll be !

us
    Jul 2012
    SE Va
    Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
    2610 times
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Wow man! I hope so and not THIS!

us
    Mar 2012
    N.mass- S.nh
    1217 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Love this show

I liked that show. Anyway, it sure looks like a copper culture spear head.
    A2coins, Simon1, Inspector and 2 others like this.

us
    Dec 2016
    Vermont
    Bandido umax
    278 times
    Not an expert on copper culture, but I always assumed it was Great Lakes region. Could be trade. I would definitely bring that to someone who could Id it. University, museum. Itís really cool. When I first saw the size I was thinking some type of harpoon
    Last edited by MadTom; Aug 27, 2019 at 07:45 PM.

May 2008
    XP Deus
    787 times
    Very interesting. How about a side view? It just looks a bit thin from the angles shown. But that's not to say it can't be either a trade piece or a copper culture piece. I have found both types here in MA. I think some more pics will help.

us
    Randy

Aug 2017
    SW Missouri/Oklahoma
    Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800
    10777 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Nice!!! Congrats!!!
    A2coins and Inspector like this.
    What would life be without challenges, and detecting of course.....

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    2990 times
    No expert but I would guess more likely copper culture native American made than trade. My friend found a copper axe head / celt in the New England area that was determined to be 3,000 or so years old. While it wasn't super common they did have them around here in Massachusetts. I mean it could be modern trash hopefully not though. If you take it to an archeologist sometimes they have a device that is kind of like an x-ray that they can beam onto it that calculates the age of the metal. Potentially a really cool find!
    A2coins, Simon1, Inspector and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Garrett ATpro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    2922 times
    I think its modern the hole on the edge is oval shaped like made by a machine... we need more pics... I am no expert..
    Last edited by Toecutter; Aug 28, 2019 at 07:09 AM.
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

From the condition of it looks more like a Copper culture spear head, but I'm no expert. I have found a harpoon head in Quebec so they did trade them between the different people occupying the surrounding regions. This site is great to ID them https://copperculture.homestead.com/
    Da Deus Fortunae

us
    George

Jun 2019
    Ak,Tn
    Minelab, Fisher
    502 times
    Prospecting
    Nice find...
    Inspector likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    27964 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Very interesting find!
    Inspector likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Wyoming
    White's
    1886 times
    Oh yeah, that's a great piece! Almost certainly not modern (or historic era), the oval hole doesn't bother me and while not typical of Copper Culture (OCC/Old Copper Complex) pieces which tend to be socketed it could just be a younger ancient point of an unusual style. As I understand, the copper trading networks weren't as wide during the OCC era so considering its location and style maybe it's closer to 2-3,000 years old versus 5-8,000 years old?

Regarding the oval perforation, it appears as though there was another matching hole on the other side, with the copper between it and the edge of the blade now lost. You'd have to pick the brains of those with expertise, but I own some early/middle Bronze Age arrowheads from the Mediterranean region with perforations through which sinews would be inserted and wrapped around the split end of the arrow shaft to secure it tightly. I believe that your spearhead may have been attached in the same manner; with the split end of the spear shaft bound to the point with sinews threaded through the holes and wrapped around the wood.

Here's a pic of a relevant perforated European bronze arrowhead and drawing of mounting method:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	perfarrow.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	587.2 KB 
ID:	1747463 Name:  arrow27.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  28.1 KB

us
    Mar 2012
    N.mass- S.nh
    1217 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbata View Post
    Oh yeah, that's a great piece! Almost certainly not modern (or historic era), the oval hole doesn't bother me and while not typical of Copper Culture (OCC/Old Copper Complex) pieces which tend to be socketed it could just be a younger ancient point of an unusual style. As I understand, the copper trading networks weren't as wide during the OCC era so considering its location and style maybe it's closer to 2-3,000 years old versus 5-8,000 years old?

Regarding the oval perforation, it appears as though there was another matching hole on the other side, with the copper between it and the edge of the blade now lost. You'd have to pick the brains of those with expertise, but I own some early/middle Bronze Age arrowheads from the Mediterranean region with perforations through which sinews would be inserted and wrapped around the split end of the arrow shaft to secure it tightly. I believe that your spearhead may have been attached in the same manner; with the split end of the spear shaft bound to the point with sinews threaded through the holes and wrapped around the wood.

Here's a pic of a relevant perforated European bronze arrowhead and drawing of mounting method:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	perfarrow.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	587.2 KB 
ID:	1747463 Name:  arrow27.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  28.1 KB
    Thank you for the information!!
    Inspector and PetesPockets55 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Wyoming
    White's
    1886 times
    No problem, but as others have asked could you post some more pictures? It doesn't look too thin to me but it's hard to tell so a side-view would be very helpful. Do you have a scale, and if so what does it weigh? The degree to which it has been attacked by chemicals in its environment suggests a great age but maybe it was just in a particularly corrosive location? A thin piece made from uniform sheet would suggest a young age but it looks like it has a narrow diamond cross-section which would be good news. And not that you're asking but assuming it's an ancient native-copper piece I'd bet on a value of 150+. It's a great find, my favorite type of metal-detected treasure to be found in North America.
    Inspector and PetesPockets55 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links