Pittsburgh Pirates back to back division championship ring, silver and clad from camp

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scout Summer Camp is over for the season so I decided to do one of the 3 swimming areas before it gets too cold to water detect. I went to one I took a quick sweep of last year and found a nice load of coins in 2.5 hours. So yesterday I spent the day cleaning up the beginner’s area. The swimmers area on the other side of the H dock is too deep to detect without scuba gear (12 to 18 feet deep). So I gridded the area using my float markers and really cleaned up. The camp is 40 years old this year so some of the coins have been in the water so long that they have sunk below the sand and are in the clay layer underneath. Scooping coins out of the sand is easy, but using the scoop I have to dig down in the clay is hard work.

I found lots of clad, heavy in quarters (57), dimes (60), and nickels (38) and light in pennies (37) for a total of 192 coins with a face value of $22.52. It took me 7 hours to get it done, but it was worth it. I still have the small beach and the area round the waterfront tents to do as well as the adjacent boating beach, but I can do that next time.

4AE8B0FF-257C-4FA5-B36B-DF7F24DCB6BA.jpeg

I found a bunch of stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers that were used on the original floating dock and one brass tent grommet.

F552DAE9-BC09-4ED8-865A-71C236879F34.jpeg

Along with the clad pile and the stainless I did find an assortment of other goodies. Aluminum rivets from boats used in the area, only 1 pop tabs (yeah!), a hand made fishing sinker made from lead and a paper clip that has rusted out, a peace sign pendant in terrible shape, a copper jacketed bullet, 7 threaded brass nuts (no idea what they came off of), a No Cash Value token market FREEDOM, and the goodies of the day.

A219EE28-F97F-491F-821A-CB2D74E6BBEA.jpeg

The goodies are a silver thunderbird ring marked Sterling, a Romanian flag pin and the coolest find of the day a Pittsburgh Pirate ring. The Pirate ring has the Pizza Hut name and emblem on one side and Pirates, 90-91 Back to Back Eastern Division champions on the other. Both rings were down in the clay and a bugger to dig. The Pirate ring was a promo and originally gold plated, all that time in the water and clay has removed all the plating. When I saw the back part of the ring peeking out of the clay ball it was in I though class ring, but the copper look said it was a kiddy fake class ring (I have found a few of those). When I saw it was a baseball ring it became a lot more interesting.

44500D09-A034-41FC-990E-953DBB157383.jpeg

The Silver ring has a makers mark I have not seen before and I cannot find it on line. If you have info on this please chime in.

EE9851D8-634B-483B-8869-C0FA0FBDED77.jpeg

So another swimming area cleaned up for now. The rings were a nice surprise. I have found thousands of coins and tent peg and loads of scout stuff at the camp, but very little jewelry. The kids have stayed smart for the most part and left their valuables at home. Good for them.

Another nice pile of clad for the coin count, more silver, (that’s 12 silver and 5 gold for the month of August. Not bad at all) and fun finding stuff out in the sunshine. What more can you ask for. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 17

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Nice amount of clad and the rings must have got your heart pumping a little harder. Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always fun to hunt a productive spot good job on the cool rings

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very productive hunt! :occasion14:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chances are pretty good that Pirates back-to-back division champion rings will never be made again.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are pretty good that Pirates back-to-back division champion rings will never be made again.

You are probably right, but who knows? Keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, I like novelty items like that as well. Nicely done!

Yeah, the novelty stuff isn’t usually worth much, but it sure is fun to find and discover the history of them. Keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions