πŸ₯‡ BANNER I found the first hurricane Dorian treasure coin, 1733 fleet !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the storm hasn't even hit yet. Got an early start on this hurricane prep and was just standing by. As the storm is approaching it has made the winds switch off shore for the last 3 days here in the keys. That offshore breeze and the king tides have swept all the seaweed out to sea and left the beaches and shoreline clean. Got to my spot at full king high tide.....no beach had to jump off the sea wall and snorkel in 2 1/2 feet of water. Got a strong 33 on the nox....but it was coming from the bottom of an old lobster trap so I started to move on......I didnt get 4 feet away before that 33 didn't make sense to me. I went back and spent about 10 minutes fanning and prying this trap bottom out of the sand. Sure enough that 33 was still registering with the trap moved. Fanned the remaining sand down to cap rock and bingo....a big fat 8 reale cobb from the 1733 fleet !!! 20190901_150439.jpg
I'm slowly cleaning her up but I dont see a complete date.....shes seen better days. 286 years in the sand and we'd all look a little weathered !! 20190901_150424.jpg
20190901_150432.jpg
Here she is just after finding on the hood of my truck. So I had to break and catch my breath I ate lunch and called my buddies.....i find it hard to hunt after i make a good find until i thoroughly fondle and inspect the piece. So after a 45 minute break i hunted the rest of the day until the tide was a quarter mile out.....no more spanish, only clad and trash. 20190901_185235.jpg
20190901_185217.jpg
Shes got some detail left and will continue to clean up better....very little encrustation on this one....she must have tumbled in the sand a bit....she was pretty clean. She looks alot like one of her sisters I ware for luck. 20190901_150808.jpg
The one I ware I found about ten feet from this one 3 years ago !! Man....now I need to follow the storm and try for a 1715 cobb up in vero !! Wooo hoooo I'll be up bright and early to try again !!! Good luck and happy hunting folks

Upvote 132

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Blak bart, that is so cool! Hope you get to find some more!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy...you guys use some pretty fancy bait in your lobster traps down in Florida...I used to load mine up with rotting cod fish heads...
Congrats on a ridiculously amazing find! Once the storm passes, I hope you load up on some more authentic Spanish treasure! Cheers!

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooaaahhhh! Awesome sauce right there. Congratulations! The back story with that find.... BANNER!!!!!!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! May I ask on which beach you found that bad boy? I'm looking forward to reading about more finds once Dorian makes landfall on the Treasure Coast.

Wish I was there as well ... I'm heading to Florida in a couple of weeks so I hope there will be another major hurricane around that time that washes up Spanish coins on the beaches!

One question though: You mentioned that you were snorkling to get that coin. Isn't metal detecting inside the water usually a no-no on the Treasure Coast? Or is it allowed during high tide as long as you don't get past the low tide mark?
I'm actually all the way down in the florida keys, not the treasure coast. This coin comes from another fleet of galleons that sank 18 years after the 1715 fleet. This fleet sank in 1733 and the keys was where modern treasure salvage began with characters like art McKee, marty meylach, and many others from the 1960s. At this spot I've never had a problem snorkeling since the closest wreck is more than 2 miles away and I'm not in any state or federal parks. Gold collector I hope you find one too when you make it down.
Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. Thanks for sharing that big of history with us!!

It is some great history that's worthy of a lucas type movie project.....done like "master and commander it would be a block buster !! Thanks washingtonian.....happy hunting.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Bart !
It has taken awhile, but I think others have finally taken you seriously.
And you still have a lot of searches left in you as well as a lot of places yet to be searched.
You are doing us PROUD :notworthy:

Thanks casper and simon.....I'm trying to to keep the t-net crowd happy simon !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi In my part of the world the coast line is constantly changing except where there is man made breaks and tidal rock structures. Seen photos from 80 years and the area is so different. The shore line is hundreds of yards away .TP

Our shoreline is changing fast and is always moving and shifting. I was lucky that the approach of the hurricane caused all the seaweed to blow away. 2 weeks ago you couldn't even hunt this spot with seaweed 2 feet thick before you could even see the sand. At high tide the beach is underwater and at low tide the beach can be 300 yards of dry sand until you reach the water. The global warming is slowly catching us.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another 1733 salvors camp find. Congrats.

Is that also where you found you "wreckers beach" items last week?

Hey pete....I'll bet your getting excited too. Hang on up there and stay safe. I hunt the wrecker spots when the spanish spots are no good to hunt....so no that's another spot. Pete your next brother......I can tell by your post that the tip of your shovel is very close to some spanish treasure. Congrats again on the spectacle buckle and good luck !!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes my leg shake!! Congratulations on finding such sought after silver!!

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wait until he finds a gold coin :laughing7:

Good luck Bart :notworthy:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Joe dirt and SD51 I'm very blessed to live so close to some great treasure spots here in the keys. This one spot has given up at least 15 cobbs for me and alot of other fantastic galleon relics and artifacts. Happy hunting guys....and fishing SD !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy...you guys use some pretty fancy bait in your lobster traps down in Florida...I used to load mine up with rotting cod fish heads...
Congrats on a ridiculously amazing find! Once the storm passes, I hope you load up on some more authentic Spanish treasure! Cheers!

That must be the reason our lobster prices are so expensive......putting a piece of eight in every trap can get costly. Thanks silvermonkey happy hunting.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the vote metalArchSC that back story is what this find is really about....hope more people read that link.....its an awsome story.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes my leg shake!! Congratulations on finding such sought after silver!!

Ya mine still shaking too....thanks birdman and happy hunting.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wait until he finds a gold coin :laughing7:

Good luck Bart :notworthy:

Well simon......I better chug my coffee and get back out there.....did you say gold coin !!! Better go before the weather gets crappy.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread