🥇 BANNER I found the first hurricane Dorian treasure coin, 1733 fleet !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the storm hasn't even hit yet. Got an early start on this hurricane prep and was just standing by. As the storm is approaching it has made the winds switch off shore for the last 3 days here in the keys. That offshore breeze and the king tides have swept all the seaweed out to sea and left the beaches and shoreline clean. Got to my spot at full king high tide.....no beach had to jump off the sea wall and snorkel in 2 1/2 feet of water. Got a strong 33 on the nox....but it was coming from the bottom of an old lobster trap so I started to move on......I didnt get 4 feet away before that 33 didn't make sense to me. I went back and spent about 10 minutes fanning and prying this trap bottom out of the sand. Sure enough that 33 was still registering with the trap moved. Fanned the remaining sand down to cap rock and bingo....a big fat 8 reale cobb from the 1733 fleet !!! 20190901_150439.jpg
I'm slowly cleaning her up but I dont see a complete date.....shes seen better days. 286 years in the sand and we'd all look a little weathered !! 20190901_150424.jpg
20190901_150432.jpg
Here she is just after finding on the hood of my truck. So I had to break and catch my breath I ate lunch and called my buddies.....i find it hard to hunt after i make a good find until i thoroughly fondle and inspect the piece. So after a 45 minute break i hunted the rest of the day until the tide was a quarter mile out.....no more spanish, only clad and trash. 20190901_185235.jpg
20190901_185217.jpg
Shes got some detail left and will continue to clean up better....very little encrustation on this one....she must have tumbled in the sand a bit....she was pretty clean. She looks alot like one of her sisters I ware for luck. 20190901_150808.jpg
The one I ware I found about ten feet from this one 3 years ago !! Man....now I need to follow the storm and try for a 1715 cobb up in vero !! Wooo hoooo I'll be up bright and early to try again !!! Good luck and happy hunting folks

Upvote 132
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm chugging my coffee and heading back out. All this talk of gold has me pacing around wringing my sweaty hands.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Joe dirt and SD51 I'm very blessed to live so close to some great treasure spots here in the keys. This one spot has given up at least 15 cobbs for me and alot of other fantastic galleon relics and artifacts. Happy hunting guys....and fishing SD !!

Thanks Blak bart, I will be salmon fishing in three weeks and hope to land more salmon like this one...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooops... deleted wrong one. :P

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just came across the thread.GOOD going 'Big Dog Bart' :occasion14::occasion14:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers digging 440 thanks for the vote WD.....ARC.....that was one hell of a year 2015...congrats on that haul.....you got more gold in one year than I've ever found !!

Various finds from various sources... "finds" yes... but not necessarily from MD.

Finds constitute finding. :)

Sorry deleted... due to irrelevant to your thread / post.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a ring once...

It was in the split of rotten wood in the bottom of a treasure / money box of unknown age... but antique would have put in lightly.

Box was for sale... and upon inspection I spotted something deep in wood... pried it out and wah lah ... a ring emerged.

And then... I made an offer for it and not the chest... at first the seller o the box was enamored with it... and did not want to sell... but beings I was off the table and on the ring ...

I had to make an offer that could not be refused.

Still no origin or date on it btw.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and story, glad you went back. 33 huh, I'll have to remember that. Congrats

Thank you floridaSon.....33=1733 8 cobb !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just came across the thread.GOOD going 'Big Dog Bart' :occasion14::occasion14:

Thanks roger....get down here with that gold finger of yours and find an escudo after the storm.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Various finds from various sources... "finds" yes... but not necessarily from MD.

Finds constitute finding. :)

Sorry deleted... due to irrelevant to your thread / post.

Treasure is where you find it !! I'd like to see that ring some time !! ARC...spanish treasure from a shipwreck brother...woooo hoooo !! I'm stoked !!

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was meant to be. Hard work paid off!

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Awesome find. Look forward to seeing the potential finds from the beach erosion. Stay safe

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks tahomatom, thanks RiverRat3....time to hunker down right now....I hope everyone stays safe too.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190902_212036.jpg we got a Jerusalem cross with florenzada, I can make out the castle and a partial roaring lion, and a bold REX (king in latin) with dots.....the rest on this side is lost to time and mother nature. Still working on the date side.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1748970 we got a Jerusalem cross with florenzada, I can make out the castle and a partial roaring lion, and a bold REX (king in latin) with dots.....the rest on this side is lost to time and mother nature. Still working on the date side.

Just enough cross detail for a great pendent :)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bart. ( In The original condition you found the coin in. ) Makes you wonder how many of these coins were discarded and tossed back in the ocean over the years.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story behind the find. Glad you went back. That’s an amazing find. Big congrats! Banner!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread