Old home site

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was on a ride on Monday, and noticed a home that was old when I was a kid had been removed. And it was not overgrown yet!

Returned there yesterday, and found that most of the area was covered with fill. After awhile I got a signal that turned out to be a mason jar lid, so I knew it had not been detected yet.

My first hit in coins mode on my AT turned out to be a coin spill at just 3-4". A 1912 wheat, 1914 wheat, 1891 IH, and 1858 Canadian dime. Hot dog, this is a hot spot! wheats.jpg Canadian dime front closeup.jpg 1858 Canadian dime back closeup.jpg

After that it was mostly clads. Some as deep as 6" - go figure. Latest was 1986.

At about 6 o'clock I started to move back towards the car, but decided to make "one more swing", and moved towards the center of the lot, mostly covered in fill. I got a 60 to 80 mixed signal, and below the fill found black dirt. Out came an old cufflink that used to have an attachment of some sort. old cufflink.jpg

My pin pointer indicated more metal so I kept digging. Out came another 1891 IH, with more detail than the first. I believe it has full liberty under the patina. good Indian front.jpg good Indian back.jpg

The pinpointer indicated more metal so I tried to work around the many roots, and began to find screws and an old ham bone. Had I found a junk pit? screws and bone.jpg

As the pinpointer continued to indicate metal, I dug more and found a small metal strip that I could not move, and as the hole was getting pretty big, I decided to fill it in and clean up. metal trim.jpg

With the two targets, the screws, and trim, I wonder if I had found the remains of an old case of some sort?

Last edited:
Upvote 21

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 1858 Canadian dime. That is the first year for Canadian dimes I believe.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going at the old home site. She's giving up some of her treasures to be seen again. That's some nice saves. Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool dime looks very promising get it before there gone forever. Well done

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job, congrats! :occasion14:

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you for the interesting post and photos. All this time, that site had been sitting there "waiting for you." It's one thing to find something in a park or at a beach, but another to develop a whole other site like this. I would imagine that there are a lot of other finds waiting to be discovered. Good Luck!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice hunt with some nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumright:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice swoop in and detect before anyone else!! Gotta love the queen Vicky dimes, I got my first this summer. Well done sir!!

OP
OP
deepseeker3

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks teacher. Getting good pics and transferring them to the computer, cropping, etc. takes time, and I often wonder if anyone appreciates that.

OP
OP
deepseeker3

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having found 1858 silver, I was hopeful of finding my elusive gold coin. Returning to the site, I committed to digging anything over 55 on the AT.

I ended up with some clads, a stinkin' Lincoln, a pocket watch frame, and this.............

chicken inspector.jpg

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks teacher. Getting good pics and transferring them to the computer, cropping, etc. takes time, and I often wonder if anyone appreciates that.

How about the 11 others that commended you on the finds, think about it!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread