Cloudy day in the park

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
So, I got the nerve up to go back into the park where the killer yellow jackets are. I planned on avoiding that area of the park altogether as it’s up high on a ridge. So I started hunting at the base of the ridge amongst the pine stumps and rotting blow downs. I was digging the usual bottle caps and beer can tops from the 1950’s when I got a 17-18 signal on the Nox at about 8”. So, being cautious, I looked around for any of the killer winged devils and dug my plug, and flipped it. When I did, a little coin popped out, I didn’t have my glasses and I thought it was a piece of aluminum, or some other garbage. When I put my glasses on I almost s**t my shorts!! Staring back at me was a coin I thought I would never dig in a million years, a silver trime😳 I got tricked earlier this summer by a “chicken feed” coin, but this time it’s the real deal. It has a little damage by the date so it’s a 1853,1858 or 1859. When I get it cleaned up, I’ll post pictures of the date and we can have a debate ( fight) over it. And it’s my oldest silver ever😬👍🏻

I’ve had my Equinox 600 for about 4 months now and it never ceases to amaze me,it locked on to this tiny coin and sang out loud and clear at 8”.

Thanks for watching, good luck and happy hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
Upvote 34
OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Joe, killer find! Looks like an 1853 to me. You have to be pleased with that. Good luck from Italy my friend!
Italy huh? Bring back a pizza please (;

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find Joe. Funny story my buddy and I detected a yard going back to the 1700's we were both beginners and had low end detectors. He found two trimes in about 15 minutes. I thought when I got my new detector I'd find a few. I haven't and I'm not sure I will as they are super hard to find! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what to listen for when hunting half dimes now, not too much difference in size but I think the half dime is a bit thicker

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Joe, real sweet and congrats! I don't know about yellow jackets guiding you to destiny
but they'll danged sure usher you to glory. I don't know if you're aware of this but baking soda
can save your life in a situation like that. Keep a box and a bottle of water in your truck or in your
fanny pack. Make a sticky poultice and plaster it on the stings. If you know you're allergic
carry an epi-pen. If you think you're not carry this.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Trime Joe, that's one that's missing in my finds case, maybe tomorrow I'll pop one, yours looks really nice & I agree 53, congrats on a great save & HH

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice 3-center. Did you say what the dates on the pennies were?
The wheaties were there for a size reference but I think they were a 1914 and 1921, the ‘21 cleaned up very nicely

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything that I wanted to say has already been said Joe. That’s an awesome save. You cleaned it up real nice. Congrats on finding a tough one and hoping you find many more. Yes the nox 600 is a great machine.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin shooting! :occasion14:

Mrs. SilverFreak

Sep 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. My husband is considering an Equinox for me. The explorer gets heavy!

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Trime! My Nox pulled one earlier this year, solid 17/17. 14-17 in the woods where I hunt is 99% bullets and shells, but the Trime signal had that silver coin sweet tone for me. Mine was only like 4”, so your 8” one is an impressive recovery. Congrats

Wow, I never even thought of digging a 17, if its between 15-18 I never dig them, maybe I gotta rethink that.???

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One that's eluded me too! I believe it's 53 also!

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The coin for sure, makes a great star, go forth and Detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread