Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am lucky enough to have 2 permissions on old farms where the owners have said come back anytime. At the 1700's house that used to have 4,000 acres(now 3 acres) and the house next door that has 10 acres I'll have a lot of ground to cover. Glad it's not 4000 anymore. Both owners have asked to keep everything I find, even junk. They have taken everything and put it into a sort of "seaglass jar" to display in the 1700 house. The owner said he'll admire it until he sells the house with the idea that it belongs with the house. I think it's a great idea, at least I'll have pictures of my finds. I dug a lot of flashing bits by the house so moved out and found some interesting things. The KG2 was next door at the 10 acre property.
454.jpg
455.jpg
It's in pretty good shape. The owner said he won't clean it, he likes the contrast.
443.jpg
Also found this interesting brass drift punch.
451.jpg
A carriage neck yolk part
422.jpg
Bunch of stuff.
Thanks for looking. GM

Last edited:
Upvote 23
OP
OP
Gene Mean

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That coin is in awesome condition, like the brass punch, congrats on all the saves & HH

Thank you, the coin was a nice find after a couple hours of clad and trash. The punch might be some sort of "vintage" lineman's tool.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now the land owner tells his neighbor he has some guy willing to find and dig up all the cool stuff on his property and give it to him. The neighbor tells his friends and relatives, pretty soon all landowners expect this treatment. IT IS A BAD PRECEDENT TO SET. Even in England where magnificent treasures have been found the landowner is only entitled to half and they don't expect half unless it is a big valuable find. I have never offered even half, and have gotten plenty of permissions for colonial era sites without having to turn anything over to the landowners. Somebody says "sure, you can hunt my land, just give me everything you find" just keep going, there are a LOT of less greedy people around who give permission without demanding anything. I have been detecting for almost fifty years and have seen places closed to hunting due to people making large unsightly holes or not filling holes, more places closed to hunting due to development and stupid fearful local government laws. We do not need American landowners to think they deserve everything in the ground on their land if somebody else is buying the gear and doing the work. If they want to know what is under the soil let them spend a grand or more on gear, hundreds of hours learning to use it efficiently, and put in the hours to find and dig it.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful old copper! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Gene Mean

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now the land owner tells his neighbor he has some guy willing to find and dig up all the cool stuff on his property and give it to him. The neighbor tells his friends and relatives, pretty soon all landowners expect this treatment. IT IS A BAD PRECEDENT TO SET. Even in England where magnificent treasures have been found the landowner is only entitled to half and they don't expect half unless it is a big valuable find. I have never offered even half, and have gotten plenty of permissions for colonial era sites without having to turn anything over to the landowners. Somebody says "sure, you can hunt my land, just give me everything you find" just keep going, there are a LOT of less greedy people around who give permission without demanding anything. I have been detecting for almost fifty years and have seen places closed to hunting due to people making large unsightly holes or not filling holes, more places closed to hunting due to development and stupid fearful local government laws. We do not need American landowners to think they deserve everything in the ground on their land if somebody else is buying the gear and doing the work. If they want to know what is under the soil let them spend a grand or more on gear, hundreds of hours learning to use it efficiently, and put in the hours to find and dig it.

Gunsil, please don't worry about that. The owner is a former neighbor and a friend. Thats part of the reason I'm giving him finds. He is not telling neighbors to get freebies. He is in an expanded pre colonial that has roots in Scotland and Edinburgh University. The place is like a museum and in my opinion the things that I find there should stay there. I can see them anytime in a display at his place. Better there than in a box in my shed. Keep up the good hunting. You've been at it a lot longer than me.

Last edited:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, def digging for the pleasure of being out there. Happy hunting.

100% with you there. Never sell anything I find so I don't mind turning stuff over. Pictures and the memories of finding them are enough for me.

Plus the people who want to keep stuff are usually interested in the history of their house and not looking to turn a profit. I've dug at a few places where the owner's family has lived there for generations, and the old stuff I'm finding was probably lost by their great grandparents.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread