Western Mass time travel site

TreeFarm

Aug 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a gorgeous day here in Western Massachusetts. Low sixties, sunshine and the bugs are finally backing off. I’ve been itching to try to get at a site I researched this summer and it was a really weird experience. There is a colonial history to the area and the proximity to a small town made me think that it may be productive. I called Cheffer but he was out of town for the weekend so I saddled up and rode solo.

Iron was everywhere but in the edges of the ring of grunty tones a flat button appeared. Then a KG II piped up with perfect roundness in the ears. A buckle and then life got weird. Pure copper tone but jumpy as hell. Boom.... an early 1900 straight razor? What? Then a domed button with copper guilting.... and finally a 1916 barber dime a full ten inches down! Did I mention that the king George was at two inches?
3C2A8233-B684-42A8-A4E9-04BB007FFFF6.jpeg

Can’t wait to get back there tomorrow! I’m hoping to solve the mystery of this site!

Thanks for reading folks!

Upvote 22
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful old copper, congrats! :occasion14:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice day in Eastern Massachusetts too! Wish I had the hunt you had. Congratulations on some nice finds. That copper held up well, and the Barber is great. Hope you have continued good luck.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice work Jeff, and a great assortment. One of the best things about our region are these multi-era spots and all the layered finds. Dime at 10 inches, that's awesome, must have been just a whisper in all that iron. And you know how I love those old coppers. Wish I could call in sick and join you tomorrow, if you're still out after work let me know and we'll meet up!

Steve

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That KG looks really nice. Congrats on some nice finds!

OP
OP
T

TreeFarm

Aug 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! Hope your coil find amazing things! Catch ya soon!

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt TreeFarm! You came with us once to another historic site in Western Mass. I hope to hunt again with you some day!

OP
OP
T

TreeFarm

Aug 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d love to hunt with you guys again. I really enjoyed getting to know you and I was psyched when you pulled that counterfeit copper! Let’s hear it for the rebel’s in western mass!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really neat when a coin like a KGII (nice coin by the way!!!) is at such a shallow depth and then a much more modern coin is deeper. Was the dirt moved? Did different soil conditions exist? Did the ground push the old coin up from frost!? Who knows.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt!! That KG is living proof that coins don't sink in the soil. I have found many colonial coins at less than four inches on undisturbed sites. Your KG is super-fine, you must have kind soil there. The razor is a safety razor, not a straight razor.

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's some history you dug into.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread