Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sinkers, clad and junk jewelry. Lots of sinkers. I was at the first beach maybe 45 minutes and my buddy calls and lets me know bulldozes are playing at the ocean in Delaware! Heck! I'm already halfway there so drove the additional 2 hours.

Got more sinkers. Lots more. Nothing good, but I had fun. Had to climb maybe 10' up a slope to get off the beach due to erosion from the hurricane.

Lots of fun. The highlight of the day was rescuing a stranded bluenose stingray off the beach! Poor little guy! Cute too! Also rescued a horseshoe crab (they aren't real bright.)

Lead is about 93 cents a pound! The Deus made it out in the ocean with the water kit and performed flawlessly using wet beach and version 5.20.

Upvote 28

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short drive 2 hrs? For me that's a major trip....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short drive 2 hrs? For me that's a major trip....

Same here. If I was on the road for over 5 hrs with little to show for it, I'd call it a bust.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice smokey!
Can't find if you don't get out & try. And a bulldozed area on the beach is very enticing!

Whats 2 hours...when you have 9 lives.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And some folks there spend upwards of $300 for a night at the hotel, some airfare, some to be pulled behind a plane, and then there are the boardwalks.

It's the adventure! And I wasn't the only one there. But I did get another gold chain today. Poor thing.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Good go'n on the gold chain!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. If I was on the road for over 5 hrs with little to show for it, I'd call it a bust.

I'm learning its all about taking pleasure in the little things. This morning, I met another tnetter, Rosco53, at a beach to hunt Miocene shark teeth here in MD . He's happy to find small teeth and drove here from WI to do it. I drove about 10 miles to meet him and was disappointed in the size we were finding - 2 opposing attitudes. I'm glad we met - maybe I'll take greater appreciation for the little finds. We try again tomorrow morning at my usual beach - which is within walking distance for me.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive 6 hours one way to get flint, then give half of it away! It's the adventure!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me that your favourite part of the day was the rescuing. Good deeds are usually followed by good karma. Good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive 6 hours one way to get flint, then give half of it away! It's the adventure!

If you didn't get any flint, I doubt driving 12 hours and coming up empty would be much of a positive adventure, unless something else on the trip made it worthwhile. I love taking trips too, especially detecting trips. I'm just much happier if I find some good stuff rather than be disappointed being shut out.......all other things being equal. Seeing both old and new friends, and traveling to new and exciting places is always great, regardless of finds, but, if detecting is the point of the trip, not finding anything good is a let down to me.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got at least 25 pounds, most of it worked tools.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me that your favourite part of the day was the rescuing. Good deeds are usually followed by good karma. Good luck.

Saving the lives of helpless creatures is often my highlight of my day as well. Have had days when we rescued over 100 poor upside down horseshoe crabs. When they get flipped over by strong waves at the water's edge during their spawning, often the next wave fills them with sand and then they can't right themselves. They would basically bake in the sun upside down without a rescue. After strong rains, we often find freshwater turtles washed into the Bay and rescue them too.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job on saving the wildlife Smokey!! This summer up in New Hampshire it took 5 of us and a beach towel to get a treble hook out of a seagulls mouth, he didn’t even say thank you (: but I’m sure he’s doing fine now. Great job!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I grab a horseshoe crab and set it back right in the bay or ocean, some of the looks I get from the hunks and hunkettes on the beach are priceless. Like "you're touching THAT?" I save every one I can.

Bunch of sissies! Men and women alike.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Cool! What is the point of the hunt without a little effort? It seems that folks that live in large cities tend to think that if you travel more than a hour away from home is a big deal. Try living in Montana, living here it is not unusual driving forty five minuets to an hour and a half to a larger city to do the shopping. Also I usually travel up to 150 miles just to get to some properties to hunt artifacts. As mentioned it is also an experience to see the beauty of the landscape and also see many varieties of wildlife. I live 40 miles from the closest large city.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about the fun for me. If it brings me peace and solace...that part alone is worth it's weight in gold.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like watching the gulls, terns, geese, buzzards, fish frenzy in the water, ospreys and others this week.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I grab a horseshoe crab and set it back right in the bay or ocean, some of the looks I get from the hunks and hunkettes on the beach are priceless. Like "you're touching THAT?" I save every one I can.

Bunch of sissies! Men and women alike.

Love that! My first open acts of defiance against adults was the rescue of horseshoe crabs as a young child. My father would take me with him surf fishing for striped bass on Cape Cod about 1960-65. I had a surf rod myself that he gave me when I was born - but I was too small to use it even up to about 8 or 9. But I walked the beach. The other surf fishermen hated horseshoe crabs because "they eat clams" and would stick them in the sand by their telsons (hard tail-like structure) to slowly die. I ran as far as I could and released every one of these gentle harmless creatures - all night. I knew I was right and ignored the threats, curses, etc by the surf fishermen. When they would block my path and challenged me, I gave it right back to them. I'd ask them "Do you know these are called living fossils?" "Do you know why?" "Do you even have enough intelligence to know their name is Limulus polyphemus?" Picture a young and more righteous Sheldon Cooper...For years, I fantasized about becoming a game warden to arrest these idiots, throw them in jail, etc. I dreamed about it. It affected me all my life. I never surf fished because I hated surf fishermen. I still have that 65 year old Shakespeare surf rod in the garage with an old Mitchell 306 on it - unused.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread