Mrs. SilverFreak's FIRST ever dug coin is SILVER!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My beautiful wife has come along with me when I have gone detecting, and has held the Explorer, and felt it was heavy... but she has never actually hunted before. With my 3 bonus kids, and being beyond swamped with personal training appointments at the gym...when I go, we are always rushing to be able to hunt for even a few minutes. Her day is full too, as she follows a program at the gym I created for her, and has lost over 100 lbs doing so...going from 222 lbs, to her now 122 lbs.:icon_thumleft: We live at the gym, and just don't have much free time. I never wanted to push her to detecting, and to be honest, I never thought she would want to. She just likes to be with me, wherever I go and whatever I do. Whether it's loading up the dirtbike, and heading to the motocross track, mowing an 8 acre yard, or going to the gym to workout...she wants to be at my side.
I am blessed. :angel7:

I ran into my old hunting buddy, Dave a few days ago...and we decided we were going to fire up the detectors for a few hours today after work.
To my surprise, my wife said "Will you teach me this time"?...so that's what I did. :headbang:She has watched me hunt several times, and I have let her hear the sounds when I locate something. Yes, she has heard, and watched me dig many nails that sounded like coins...:laughing7:...but when you are searching in pounded areas for coins in the 9" to 10" range...that comes with the territory.

This time, I explained several things, told her what to listen for, what the different settings do, how slow to sweep the coil, etc...then cut her loose.

Within 3 minutes, she had dug her first nail...8-). Within 7 minutes, she had dug her second nail :laughing7:. Then about 10 minutes went by, and I hear her scream from about 50' away..."Hey, I think I found something good". I then hear scream again. "Bryce...Dave, I really think I got something good this time".

She then came running over to me where I was working on a dig. She was genuinely excited, and had a huge smile on her face. She sticks out her hand to me...and in it is a nice old Merc. :icon_thumright:
She says, "Is this good"?:laughing7: My jaw just dropped...I'm serious.
I walked over to her hole, and it was every bit of 9"...and she had pulled the merc from deep in the bottom corner!:headbang: With God as my witness, I kid you not.
The very FIRST coin she dug in her metal detecting career was a 1923 Mercury dime from 9" deep!:notworthy:

She is H.O.O.K.E.D....and as soon as we got home, she wanted to show everyone her find. She never found a wheatie, or even any clad, but she DID find 9" deep Merc. Now I have 3 bonus kids who want their own detectors, too.:hello2:

We had a lot of fun, and I was able to find an old Barber dime and a few wheats as well. Dave also found a couple of wheaties, but I didn't get them in the pic.

Attachments

• coinscollage.jpg
    coinscollage.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 222
  • coinscollagec.jpg
    coinscollagec.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 121
  • coinscollaged.jpg
    coinscollaged.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 108
  • coinscollagee.jpg
    coinscollagee.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 106
  • coinscollageb-850.jpg
    coinscollageb-850.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 158
  • davemeherky2019big.jpg
    davemeherky2019big.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Upvote 35
OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
It's great to see you post again Bryce,you were Mr.Explorer,always very helpful to anybody who questions about it's use.I still have my Explorer II but now pushing 70,I use the Nox more,because of the weight.I still love the sound of silver on that machine!PS....Your wife is a beauty!!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to the Mrs on a super recovery & congrats on the sweet Barber & wheats, nice hunting spot, congrats on all & HH

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
8 acre yard huh????? Nice find mrs Silverfreak!!!!!!!'

Mrs. SilverFreak

Sep 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Yes, the yard is horrible and takes us all day long with 2 big riders going. He uses a 70" zero turn, and I use a 60" deck JD tractor mower. I've only gotten the mower stuck in the pond once...maybe twice. :laughing7:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bryce, nice to see you post again my friend! Congrats to you and your wife on the incredible transformation you described, and also for getting her hooked on TH'ing- 23 Merc first find- gotta be another 16-D for the family before long. Be well buddy- hope to see more successful posts soon!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bryce, nice to see you post again my friend! Congrats to you and your wife on the incredible transformation you described, and also for getting her hooked on TH'ing- 23 Merc first find- gotta be another 16-D for the family before long. Be well buddy- hope to see more successful posts soon!
-- Jeff --

Thanks, Jeff...much appreciated.It's good to be back, and enjoy hunting again. Keep in touch, my friend.

The zero turn beats the snot out of me in the pasture!

Congrats to the Mrs on a super recovery & congrats on the sweet Barber & wheats, nice hunting spot, congrats on all & HH
Thanks, friend. I hope the kids enjoy it too.

Great story!
Thanks, Malenkai

Great post,, Mercurys are my favorite.
Congrats to the mrs.
You didn't do too bad yourself,, lol
Thanks, friend. Mercs have always been my favorite, too.

DiggerDaveSE

Greenie
Sep 10, 2019
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for getting me set up on here, Bryce...this looks like a great site! I had a lot of fun with you two, thanks for asking me to come. :occasion14: She caught on fast...skunked me...lol. You got a good one with her, buddy. If her detector comes, and you guys go hunting...shoot me a text.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread