Mrs. SilverFreak's FIRST ever dug coin is SILVER!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My beautiful wife has come along with me when I have gone detecting, and has held the Explorer, and felt it was heavy... but she has never actually hunted before. With my 3 bonus kids, and being beyond swamped with personal training appointments at the gym...when I go, we are always rushing to be able to hunt for even a few minutes. Her day is full too, as she follows a program at the gym I created for her, and has lost over 100 lbs doing so...going from 222 lbs, to her now 122 lbs.:icon_thumleft: We live at the gym, and just don't have much free time. I never wanted to push her to detecting, and to be honest, I never thought she would want to. She just likes to be with me, wherever I go and whatever I do. Whether it's loading up the dirtbike, and heading to the motocross track, mowing an 8 acre yard, or going to the gym to workout...she wants to be at my side.
I am blessed. :angel7:

I ran into my old hunting buddy, Dave a few days ago...and we decided we were going to fire up the detectors for a few hours today after work.
To my surprise, my wife said "Will you teach me this time"?...so that's what I did. :headbang:She has watched me hunt several times, and I have let her hear the sounds when I locate something. Yes, she has heard, and watched me dig many nails that sounded like coins...:laughing7:...but when you are searching in pounded areas for coins in the 9" to 10" range...that comes with the territory.

This time, I explained several things, told her what to listen for, what the different settings do, how slow to sweep the coil, etc...then cut her loose.

Within 3 minutes, she had dug her first nail...8-). Within 7 minutes, she had dug her second nail :laughing7:. Then about 10 minutes went by, and I hear her scream from about 50' away..."Hey, I think I found something good". I then hear scream again. "Bryce...Dave, I really think I got something good this time".

She then came running over to me where I was working on a dig. She was genuinely excited, and had a huge smile on her face. She sticks out her hand to me...and in it is a nice old Merc. :icon_thumright:
She says, "Is this good"?:laughing7: My jaw just dropped...I'm serious.
I walked over to her hole, and it was every bit of 9"...and she had pulled the merc from deep in the bottom corner!:headbang: With God as my witness, I kid you not.
The very FIRST coin she dug in her metal detecting career was a 1923 Mercury dime from 9" deep!:notworthy:

She is H.O.O.K.E.D....and as soon as we got home, she wanted to show everyone her find. She never found a wheatie, or even any clad, but she DID find 9" deep Merc. Now I have 3 bonus kids who want their own detectors, too.:hello2:

We had a lot of fun, and I was able to find an old Barber dime and a few wheats as well. Dave also found a couple of wheaties, but I didn't get them in the pic.

Attachments

• coinscollage.jpg
    coinscollage.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 222
  • coinscollagec.jpg
    coinscollagec.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 121
  • coinscollaged.jpg
    coinscollaged.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 108
  • coinscollagee.jpg
    coinscollagee.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 106
  • coinscollageb-850.jpg
    coinscollageb-850.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 158
  • davemeherky2019big.jpg
    davemeherky2019big.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Upvote 35

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice to see you again its been awhile.

Big congrats to your wife. Its a rush seeing that silver in a plug.

Your life sounds very similar to mine. My wife loves being at my side as well no matter what im doing.

I've been hunting for 26 yrs and my wife just started hunting with me now for three seasons i beleive.

We have a good time out there together.

Many more trips are in your future. My wife had me out hunting even after the street lights would come on.

Jeremy

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see you again its been awhile.

Big congrats to your wife. Its a rush seeing that silver in a plug.

Your life sounds very similar to mine. My wife loves being at my side as well no matter what im doing.

I've been hunting for 26 yrs and my wife just started hunting with me now for three seasons i beleive.

We have a good time out there together.

Many more trips are in your future. My wife had me out hunting even after the street lights would come on.

Jeremy
Thanks, and good to hear from you, my friend.

Thanks birdman

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds - great first coin for the Mrs.

Is that one wheat a 1909? looks like a good spot to me.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow! That's a great 1st find. Congratulations to your wife and to you because she wants to do stuff with you. :icon_thumleft:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Merc! 1923 was the year my good ol' daddy was born.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're a lucky man on all counts! Happy hunting!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your Barber, and to Mrs. Silverfreak on her very first silver. Cant beat the Mercs ! They are a great looking coin.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i dont know which looks b b b better ? the merc or ur wife ? success on both counts. u have to forgive me. i dont know when to bite my tongue. i've done far too many a.d's its not my fault though. really its not (*_*)

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow! That's a great 1st find. Congratulations to your wife and to you because she wants to do stuff with you. :icon_thumleft:
Thanks, friend. Much appreciated.

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!
Thanks, RJ.

Nice Merc! 1923 was the year my good ol' daddy was born.
Thanks, sandchip

You're a lucky man on all counts! Happy hunting!
I truly am. Thanks, smallfoot.

wonderful! congrats to you both on the silver finds!
Thanks, griff.

Congrats on your Barber, and to Mrs. Silverfreak on her very first silver. Cant beat the Mercs ! They are a great looking coin.
Thanks, friend. They sure are. Mercs have always been my favorite.

That's one heck of a first! Congratulations!
Thanks, secondstar

i dont know which looks b b b better ? the merc or ur wife ? success on both counts. u have to forgive me. i dont know when to bite my tongue. i've done far too many a.d's its not my fault though. really its not (*_*)

It's all good, Nomad. :-) She works hard in the gym 7 days a week, and has earned it.

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt and well done to both of you for scoring silver!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The better 7/8s always does it better dont be surprised if your detector starts disappearing for hours at a time
I have to hide my gold and jewelry from my Daughters and the wife who sold some rings for a 1300 dollar water heater Thanks honey lol. Great job put it in a nice coin holder there will be lots more. Tommy

Last edited:
OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The better 7/8s always does it better dont be surprised if your detector starts disappearing for hours at a time
I have to hide my gold and jewelry from my Daughters and the wife who sold some rings for a 1300 dollar water heater Thanks honey lol. Great job put it in a nice coin holder there will be lots more. Tommy
Thanks, Tommy. My wife has been bitten by the detecting bug, and already has an ace 250 on the way for the kids to hunt with. :icon_thumright: It should be here by Friday, and I'm sure I'll be showing them the ropes this weekend.

Congrats on a great hunt and well done to both of you for scoring silver!
Thanks, friend. We had a lot of fun.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
It is so good to have you on here and posting again silverfreak. Welcome back to the fold, we missed you!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Tommy. My wife has been bitten by the detecting bug, and already has an ace 250 on the way for the kids to hunt with. :icon_thumright: It should be here by Friday, and I'm sure I'll be showing them the ropes this weekend.

Thanks, friend. We had a lot of fun.
That's an awesome Family hobby. Good luck my friend have lots of fun. Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread