Pristine Megalodon Tooth Found Near Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia

liamfaulkner

Sep 9, 2019
SE Virginia
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this beautiful specimen on the banks of the York in Virginia! I’ve only been doing this for a little over a year and I’ve found a lot of shark teeth and fossils. BUT, this is definitely my favorite find so far. I’ll be back out there fossil hunting tomorrow!

Attachments

• 4D0F5225-F56F-4EA5-8637-A4FFEAD5B0A2.jpeg
    4D0F5225-F56F-4EA5-8637-A4FFEAD5B0A2.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Upvote 44

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
and to think.... THAT is a SMALL one too!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP did not indicate the tooth's length - but seeing it in his hand, it is not a small tooth. I estimate the tooth, based on its perspective in hand, to be about 4" to slightly more than 4". Fossil shark teeth are measured on the diagonal. A simple search of "How to measure a shark tooth" produces many results. This is just the first one I opened:

Fossil-Treasures-of-Florida-Newsletter, Issue #0013 -- How to Measure a Shark Tooth Fossil

The pic in the link shows a tooth being measured with calipers. Its also fine to just sit the tooth on a ruler. The link also shows an extrapolation from tooth size to total length of the Megalodon shark itself. This one would have come from a shark about 35' long.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
imagine the size of a meg with a six inch + tooth...this tooth is a real nice whole one too!

OP
OP
L

liamfaulkner

Sep 9, 2019
SE Virginia
Primary Interest:
Thank you sir. Definitely not a small tooth. It's just a hair short of 4 inches! You are spot on.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you man! I agree, hope to find another one like that.

It is rare find for our deposits within the Chesapeake drainage. Your tooth is perfect. Rare in being flawless. The root is perfect. The fragile burlette is perfect. There are no cracks and the enamel is perfect. There is not even any feeding damage. I have been hunting Calvert Cliffs for 40 years and have not found one as fine as this one. My wife has found one that is very close and my son has a few like it among over 100 megs. I think I cursed myself by using the Megalodon handle on tnet.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia and Congrat's to you on that very nice Meg tooth. Continued Success to you.

OP
OP
L

liamfaulkner

Sep 9, 2019
SE Virginia
Primary Interest:
Awesome man. I really appreciate your knowledge and insight. Makes me very happy to have found this tooth! I’ve been hunting for only 1 year and I will only be for a few more months until I take a hiatus to the West Coast for 2 years. Will have to move back to Va though because I like hunting for shark teeth to much. I’m going to try to hit Shark Tooth Hill in Bakersfield, CA atleast once.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome man. I really appreciate your knowledge and insight. Makes me very happy to have found this tooth! I’ve been hunting for only 1 year and I will only be for a few more months until I take a hiatus to the West Coast for 2 years. Will have to move back to Va though because I like hunting for shark teeth to much. I’m going to try to hit Shark Tooth Hill in Bakersfield, CA atleast once.

This post is not intended to discourage you from visiting Shark Tooth Hill, but please do be careful out there with the fungal spore issue. My son visited Fossil Hill and brought back some teeth, but is so concerned about the potential for exposing his wife and young son, my grandson, to the Valley Fever that his finds remain triple-bagged and stored in his garage and not displayed with his other teeth. Many people use dust masks there but I don't know the size of the fungal spores so don't know if dust masks would be effective. A respirator would be better, but people with beards, like me, can't use them effectively. You have time to do some more research. Be safe and have fun!

https://www.fossilguy.com/sites/sharktooth-hill/index.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread