Pristine Megalodon Tooth Found Near Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia

liamfaulkner

Sep 9, 2019
SE Virginia
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this beautiful specimen on the banks of the York in Virginia! I’ve only been doing this for a little over a year and I’ve found a lot of shark teeth and fossils. BUT, this is definitely my favorite find so far. I’ll be back out there fossil hunting tomorrow!

Attachments

• 4D0F5225-F56F-4EA5-8637-A4FFEAD5B0A2.jpeg
    4D0F5225-F56F-4EA5-8637-A4FFEAD5B0A2.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Upvote 44

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard liamfaulkner! Take a look at Forum: Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

t_o.gif
2nd - OUT·STAND·ING find. Thanks for sharing...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you know, those nice big Megs are rare in the Chesapeake area. Congrats and good luck today. Only trick to finding more is to keep at it! (I'm going out today as well...)

And welcome to tnet too!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It certainly is "pristine". Most of mine exhibit tiny nicks along the edges that are a sign of feeding damage. Keep looking at that spot and at spots that show the same relationship of cliff to water's edge. And look at fossil whale bones for signs of shark damage to them. Sometimes when you find scratched whale bones, the dislodged teeth are nearby.

BTW, excellent photo. Be careful not to include too much background in your pics. There are some hunters who can tell where a find was made by the background. I leave my phone at home!

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...BTW, excellent photo. Be careful not to include too much background in your pics. There are some hunters who can tell where a find was made by the background...

Beautiful find and I agree, excellent photo, nicely cropped. Not only does trimming your pics keep people from figuring out where your find was made, viewers also don't have to look at grungy feet and dirty dishes!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing find to eyeball! Imagine finding that before things were known about dinosaurs etc? The best explanation was probably monsters or dragons!!! Also imagine what this beast was eating and how big it was!!!

OP
OP
L

liamfaulkner

Sep 9, 2019
SE Virginia
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you! Yes, you are 100% right. They don’t come easy at all around here. I’ve only found 2 so far on probably 50+ hunts! Good luck today also!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing find to eyeball! Imagine finding that before things were known about dinosaurs etc? The best explanation was probably monsters or dragons!!! Also imagine what this beast was eating and how big it was!!!

A shark the size of a school bus. It could eat other sharks the size of the one in "Jaws" whole for a snack. The movie "The Meg" had an implausible premise but some details were probably accurate - like the size and the scavenger role - eating dead whales.

These teeth were also found by Native Americans who used them for tools - which was probably very important in the Coastal plain here where there are very few stone sources. One of the many Meg teeth found by my son was notched at its base for hafting - and either used as a spear point or scraper.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Yes, you are 100% right. They don’t come easy at all around here. I’ve only found 2 so far on probably 50+ hunts! Good luck today also!

Thanks, finished my hunt. Just the usual smaller teeth. Conditions not the best on the western shore of Chesapeake Bay, but it was good exercise on a beautiful day. The wind from the SE is terrible for fossil hunting as it deposits sand, but creates a nice cool breeze.

Last edited:

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
HA...put that one in your pocket quick and dont let anyone in the local Government down there in Williamsburg know you found it. Those fanatics think that everything laying on or in the ground is a historical find. They are absolutely eat up with it because of the civil war and Jamestown history there.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing it's so well preserved I'm glad those things aren't around anymore hopefully. Thanks for sharing it

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Mi also. Tommy

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KILLER! (Well it was about 15 million years ago...) Congrats on a beauty. Sub 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread